Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Errr how were "we" or the posters using it as a mask? How would that even work?
    Comparing a mutant cure to erasing blackness is a good example.

I mean true but something shitty is happening to someone all the time. Why/how spend time wasting energy wringing your hands, getting paranoid sad worrying about that?
    I've seen some weird takes online but this one is right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Who are you referring to? Jean only destroyed one planet and Betsy only murdered on kid as far as I remember.
    All the telepaths abused of their powers at one point. I guess it’s too much a temptation for a writer…

Even the sweetest ones: Betsy Braddock, Jean Grey
    Last edited by Zelena; 07-16-2021 at 03:50 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

While i would still say for krakoa to make a cure for humanity as well, even if just as a countermeasure to the possibility of a cure to being a mutant being weaponized, i will admit that this week in x-books added validity to the claims that have being made for months that weren't in print. In Way of X we see that there is a corruption in the system and a corruption in this thing called Krakoa's partner Charles Xavier (granted these things didn't show up until legion did but taking into account we are suppose to believe legion is coming from a correct place(i don't buy it but that's the story). is a creator of, along with his co-builder Magneto.)

In X-corp we had monet basically violate a human woman or rather attempt to. The moment i read it i immediately thought of the whole "grab her" scandal and it was just wrong wrong wrong. On a side note the week before we had Storm outing Carmen like it was nothing. (which still personally bothers me but i'm not really going to harp on it, i mean it happened it is what it is.) So yeah, the humans should be worrying at this point.

Given the information we have now, in print, it is also not out of the realm of possibility to believe Moira or anyone else on the council has been infected by this onslaught thing as well because if we are to give the benefit of the doubt and assume legion didn't bring it we don't know how long it has been there which calls into question a lot of actions. It also stand to reason in a stupid move it was brought to Arrako too.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-16-2021 at 08:45 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Who are you referring to? Jean only destroyed one planet and Betsy only murdered on kid as far as I remember.
    Xavier. He's been abusing his TP since the 60s

I wish the people at Marvel--writers, editors, and characters, would learn to distinguish between mutant powers and mutant diseases. And to remember that all life forms, including humans, are descended from mutants. What if the X-gene was responsible for the power of human language? What if the main difference between reading books and reading minds is that the former ability has been around long enough to spread through virtually the whole human species?
    Last edited by Anodyne; 07-16-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    I wish the people at Marvel--writers, editors, and characters, would learn to distinguish between mutant powers and mutant diseases. And to remember that all life forms, including humans, are descended from mutants. What if the X-gene was responsible for the power of human language? What if the main difference between reading books and reading minds is that the former ability has been around long enough to spread through virtually the whole human species?
    I think the main point is that we are social creatures: in society, we are supposed to behave in a certain way. Telepathy is not a “polite” power, it would disrupt the way we interact with others. You are not supposed to know someone’s thoughts and you are not supposed to say them neither.

Reading books is a capacity everyone can acquire but in MU there are telepaths and non-telepaths. In a society made mostly of non-telepaths.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

And just to add. I am weary of some of the mutants now myself. It takes a whole deep level of self entitlement to be upset from going to being killed to feeling left out over omegas making a planet to get Arraki mutants which could have affected the entitled mutants like dust etc. So yeah. This week in comics was interesting. lol. To forget their history so soon made dust seem bitter, and just i don't know but it is i guess an interesting concept to explore. The entitled among mutantdom.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think the main point is that we are social creatures: in society, we are supposed to behave in a certain way. Telepathy is not a “polite” power, it would disrupt the way we interact with others. You are not supposed to know someone’s thoughts and you are not supposed to say them neither.

Reading books is a capacity everyone can acquire but in MU there are telepaths and non-telepaths. In a society made mostly of non-telepaths.
    My point was that if telepathy had evolved as early as language (and TPs hadn't been persecuted or forbidden to breed) maybe many more people would be telepaths. OTOH, what if the first speakers had been feared and hated like today's Marvel mutants?

BANNED

My point was that if telepathy had evolved as early as language (and TPs hadn't been persecuted or forbidden to breed) maybe many more people would be telepaths. OTOH, what if the first speakers had been feared and hated like today's Marvel mutants?
    Quoted For Truth!

That analogy doesn't work however; telepathy is invasive in a way that speaking or reading could never be. And speech and literacy can be learned by virtually anyone.

I also don't think that the first speakers were treated anything like mutants. As tools were developed, humans mimicked one another to compete, but there's no mimicry for mutant powers.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

This could be a more valid thought if there was evidence that telepaths breeding together created more telepaths, and if we had evidence that humans (at some point) didn’t have a larynx.

One of those can be invented by the writers, the other would need scientific evidence.

For people who can’t speak, language is just sounds without meaning. I don’t see why the speakers would be persecuted: language implies a speaker and a listener.

If people realise that they have been read without their consent, it’s a breach of social convention and they are in their right to feel violated.

A lot of "ifs" here.

Even in the Marvel Universe, this isn't the case as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Comparing a mutant cure to erasing blackness is a good example.

I've seen some weird takes online but this one is right up there.
    Ah.
    same here dude. same here. lol

C'est la vie
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    That analogy doesn't work however; telepathy is invasive in a way that speaking or reading could never be. And speech and literacy can be learned by virtually anyone.
    Yes--because virtually everyone has inherited all the genetic mutations that made speaking, reading and writing possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I also don't think that the first speakers were treated anything like mutants. As tools were developed, humans mimicked one another to compete, but there's no mimicry for mutant powers.
    If the first speakers had been treated like today's MXU mutants, we might all be speechless today. Also, fear of telepaths doesn't explain the fear of other mutants' powers; why hate someone who can turn to ice or grow fur?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    This could be a more valid thought if there was evidence that telepaths breeding together created more telepaths, and if we had evidence that humans (at some point) didn’t have a larynx.
    If it's caused by a mutation, it's genetic; if it's genetic, it can be inherited.

I once read a sci-fi story in which the human propensity for war and violence was attributed to the fact that we, alone among the sapient species of the universe, were not telepathic. Members of other species could feel pain if they inflicted it on others, so they'd evolved an aversion to causing pain. Humans hadn't learned that lesson.