Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I liked both??
    Liked both, too.... which makes BW the clear winner for me. First time Natasha has ever been entertaining for me in any medium. However, it was BW's costars that made the movie tolerable for me. WW didn't really have this going for her.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

WW84 is trash. Black Widow is a decent action flick. It's a good movie for casual viewing and one I can see myself rewatching.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    WW84 is trash. Black Widow is a decent action flick. It's a good movie for casual viewing and one I can see myself rewatching.
    My sentiments exactly. WW84 was the kind of movie I was mad I watched the first time let alone ever watch it again. BW I could easily watch again for an action movie, even though it had flaws.

While I like Wonder Woman far better as a character, 1984 was pretty terrible. I can't imagine Black Widow being anywhere near that bad.

BANNED

This are just my Objective views, although subjectively I am a bigger Wonder Woman fan but I will not be bringing that much here.

Black Widow is a less problematic movie in story so I am giving the overall edge to Black Widow for that even if on paper, I always favour a movie that is more director imagined, although it is clear WW 84 felt like a power grab between Patty and WB compared to Black Widow that is just 100% Disney manufactured.

Also now I have seen both films and the CGI.

Wonder Woman 84 was cartoonish. I feel it was sort of done on purpose to give it that 80s cheese feeling but it just came up bad.

Black Widow just looked like a decent video game but I don't understand what was the reason for a movie that takes place in 2015-2017?

However and this is a big however, that Steve story line of how he came back, is always going to be a sour taste in people's mouth. Yelena was a better character to get into than Cheetah and that wish story from WW 84 is more WTF compared to the red room story line that was just okay.

Neither films come close to the defined masterclass of Wonder Woman 2017 and how it relates to female driven films , however Black Widow edges out wonder woman 84 overall because the overall plot is better. Now If only we can swap black widow's cinematography with wonder woman 84.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-11-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Ultimate Member

Black Widow easily.

I don’t hate WW 84 as much as many others. But it is VERY messy. BW is a fun good action spy flick.

Gold Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    T

Black Widow just looked like a decent video game but I don't understand what was the reason for a movie that takes place in 2015-2017?
    They had to make it 2015-2017 so that they could get around the fact that they …did something important… with Black Widow in the latest Avengers movie.

Black Widow easily. Though the first Wonder Woman blows them both away.

Ultimate Member

This are just my Objective views, although subjectively I am a bigger Wonder Woman fan but I will not be bringing that much here.

Black Widow is a less problematic movie in story so I am giving the overall edge to Black Widow for that even if on paper, I always favour a movie that is more director imagined, although it is clear WW 84 felt like a power grab between Patty and WB compared to Black Widow that is just 100% Disney manufactured.

Also now I have seen both films and the CGI.

Wonder Woman 84 was cartoonish. I feel it was sort of done on purpose to give it that 80s cheese feeling but it just came up bad.

However and this is a big however, that Steve story line of how he came back, is always going to be a sour taste in people's mouth. Yelena was a better character to get into than Cheetah and that wish story from WW 84 is more WTF compared to the red room story line that was just okay.

Neither films come close to the defined masterclass of Wonder Woman 2017 and how it relates to female driven films , however Black Widow edges out wonder woman 84 overall because the overall plot is better. Now If only we can swap black widow's cinematography with wonder woman 84.
    Are you sure you don't know the reason?

It's almost impossible not to know.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    My sentiments exactly. WW84 was the kind of movie I was mad I watched the first time let alone ever watch it again. BW I could easily watch again for an action movie, even though it had flaws.
    This basically.

BW isn't perfect but it's a solid movie that I will likely watch a couple more times.

WW84 was...terrible. I still don't know exactly what they were going for with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
    They had to make it 2015-2017 so that they could get around the fact that they …did something important… with Black Widow in the latest Avengers movie.
    I think what Castle is saying is that, while the CGI was cartoonish in WW84- possibly to evoke the feelings of the 80's- the CGI of Black Widow, which was taking place in the modern day, didn't quite look as realistic as it should. It's about the visuals, not about where the character ended up.

I'd also have to say BW beats WW84. I liked WW84 well enough, but I haven't felt compelled to go back to it at all. Meanwhile, I'll be seeing Black Widow in the theaters again this week, and I might go for a trifecta and go see it at the Omnimax.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Are you sure you don't know the reason?

It's almost impossible not to know.
    I am thinking it may be for two reasons.

1. Black Widow is a female comic movie and a throw away marvel film at best, so not much heavy production quality may have gone into it for those reasons

2. The video game quality was there because Marvel needs to maintain their movies looking extremely not grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think what Castle is saying is that, while the CGI was cartoonish in WW84- possibly to evoke the feelings of the 80's- the CGI of Black Widow, which was taking place in the modern day, didn't quite look as realistic as it should. It's about the visuals, not about where the character ended up.
    Yes that is what I meant.

Wonder Woman 2017 (ignoring the 3 rd act) did capture the atmosphere of World War 1 tone and the visuals reflected that.

I think WW 84 wanted to capture that corny cheesy era of the 80s so they went for that in visual style but not to the best extent when you see it on screen.

Black Widow is not really a period piece movie like the wonder woman films set in different time era, so the CGI should have been way better than what we got for a modern film.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-12-2021 at 04:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

1. Black Widow is a female comic movie and a throw away marvel film at best, so not much heavy production quality may have gone into it for those reasons

2. The video game quality was there because Marvel needs to maintain their movies looking extremely not grounded.

Wonder Woman 2017 (ignoring the 3 rd act) did capture the atmosphere of World War 1 tone and the visuals reflected that.

I think WW 84 wanted to capture that corny cheesy era of the 80s so they went for that in visual style but not to the best extent when you see it on screen.

Black Widow is not really a period piece movie like the wonder woman films set in different time era, so the CGI should have been way better than what we got for a modern film.
    That’s not why it was set in the past though.

At all.

Not even close, imo its BW by miles and miles. I wouldn't say BW was in the top tier of mcu movies, but it was good. WW 1984 was just a mess and made me think the original WW being good was either a fluke or due to cribbing a lot from CA:TFA and the 1st Thor movie.

WB should be happy that ultimately the movies' release dates were months apart; had BW come out last May and WW 84 last July, i think a lot of reviews for '84 would be pointing out how BW was better.

From the perspective of developing new characters alone, BW made me want to see more of Yelena and Red Guardian, and even left me curious about whether taskmaster will show up again. By contrast, no desire to ever see Cheetah or Max Lord again.

I also liked how there is not even a hint of a romantic relationship for BW in this movie, whereas a a major plot point of WW84 is that WW just can't get over losing Steve Trevor even though its been like 70 years and she only knew him for like a few weeks. So much for the feminist icon.

Much better action scenes in BW as well. And better use of humor.

Finally, i would say BW accomplished a major feat in making me feel like it would be ok for the mcu to do more prequels, which i generally oppose. I wouldn't even mind if Nat got a another movie, either set earlier in her career or set in one of the lengthy intervals between civil war and infinity war, or between infinity war and endgame.

Mighty Member

As the noted philosopher Bones McCoy would say, “She’s dead Jim.”