Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rank the Post-T2 Terminator Sequels (2003-2019)

All parallel universes, as hinted by Genisys, as well as massive continuity discrepancies and casting changes.

I loved all Terminator movies, I'm a huge fan. This is my ranking order anyway:

1- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)
    2- Terminator Genisys (2015)
    3- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008-2009)
    4- Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)
    5- Terminator Salvation (2009)

Genisys had brilliant ideas, as well as an interesting story, I didn't like the casting at all. Especially Kyle Reese.

Rise was a great movie. Epic and exciting. The TX was a memorable villain IMHO.

The TV series was incredible. I loved it. Narrative twists, character-arcs and great special effects. Terrific work.

Dark Fate is a great movie, so underrated. It was VERY derivative, but charming nonetheless.

I loved Salvation, but it resembled a Transformers movie. Marcus Wright is a wonderful addition to the Terminator mythos.

Ultimate Member

T2 at the top due to T-1000

T1 below that, due to dated 80s aesthetic and weak romance. Still great and influential

T3 because the female Terminator isn't bad but the series is already running out of steam (only watched this once when it came out)

Salvation at 4 because the ideas are interesting and actually want to progress the universe and I think Yelchin is good as Reese but Worthington is lame, the movie lacks color and Bale doesn't get much to do as Connor

Dark fate at 5 because it's competent and reasonably entertaining, and Luna as the evil Terminator is cool, but the other new characters are a bit lame and the plot is so repeated from previous movies

Genisys because Courtney isn't great, Clarke is ok as Connor and Matt Smith gets nothing, and the T-1000 is wasted. JK Simmons is ok but the plot has potential yet never lives up to it

1 - Sarah Connor Chronicles. Has a bit of an unfair advantage in being a show, so a lot more time to develop characters and stories, but loved the casting and was hooked by the time of its unfortunate cancellation.

2 - Dark Fate. A solid action movie, and recaptures the spirit of the earlier movies well, after I'd more or less given up on the franchise.

3 - Salvation. Also pretty solid, but I kinda viewed it as a standalone. Since if followed the SCC so closely, but did not feel like a sequel by any stretch, my head-canon was kind of to consider it as one possible timeline, separate from any previously seen version.

4 - Rise of the Machines. There was unfortunately not a lot I liked about this one. Just seemed the first indication of how easily to miss walking the difficult line that T2 walked, with kind of repeating the previous movie, kind of contradicting its resolution, and also claiming to somehow advance the same plot. Hard to do all of that, while also keeping the fanbase happy, so really kind of surprising the franchise just keeps going, at all.

* - Genysis. Not technically rating it as "last", because I haven't actually seen it. I suppose it's not great that it never appealed to me enough, to make me want to see it. But yeah, could surprise me, if I ever did watch it.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Honestly after rethinking it, I'd put Rise of the Machines after Dark Fate. It wasn't especially memorable

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

* - Genysis. Not technically rating it as "last", because I haven't actually seen it. I suppose it's not great that it never appealed to me enough, to make me want to see it. But yeah, could surprise me, if I ever did watch it.
    Genisys has lots of intriguing and fascinating new ideas. It's a brilliant movie IMHO.

1 is T:TSCC easily.
    2 is T3, and is actually a close second. It repeated a lot of the beats from T2 but was pretty enjoyable and IMO the best villain since, well, T2.
    3 is Genisys. I echo the sentiment that it had a lot of good ideas. In retrospect I think its problem was trying to set up for the next movie(s) vs trying to have a self-contained story. Maybe it was too ambitious. Didn't like the T-3000, so that didn't help, either.
    4 is Salvation.
    5 is Dark Fate.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

So the topic is Rank the Post-T2 Terminator Sequels (1996-2019)...

Let's see here...
    1. T2-3D: Battle Across Time (which needs to be on DVD/Blu)

. . . and that's it
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

If you like time travel stories *and* you're familiar with the Terminator franchise, then I think Genysis is for you. As a Terminator geek I loved it, I think the problem is that the appeal was too narrow, it assumed you had watched the main series before it. Lots of people watching the movie for the first time were undoubtedly confused.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

-Rise of the Machines: cause it had the stones to do the thing needed to push the storyline forward...Judgement Day
    -TV show: cause it still held to the movie trilogy story while still doing it's own thing that didn't conflict with the mythos in any damaging way.
    -Salvation: cause it gave us the Future War, it started John Connor in the mid-ranks of the war with a cult following. It did that cause ideally it would've been a trilogy but the internet jumped on it as it's "cool to bash" film and it lost steam. Christian Bale as John Connor and the internet trolls ruined that for us...thanks basement dwellers.
    -The themepark 3-D ride "sequel": I honestly don't recall much of it other than it had to be better than the bottom 2 entries.
    -Dark Fate: nothing new here, very very derivative and if it had been called anything other than Terminator I'd accept it as a decent sci-fi film. Plagiarizing a crud ton else but done effectively.
    -Genysis: the real sludge at the bottom of the barrel. A dead John Connor that is Skynet now posing as him is just bad and ruins the whole thing.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

1TSCC
    2 genysis
    3 salvation
    4 ROTM
    5 Dark fate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    -Genysis: the real sludge at the bottom of the barrel. A dead John Connor that is Skynet now posing as him is just bad and ruins the whole thing.
    John Connor was not Skynet, he was (turned into) a T-3000. Actually, Genisys was supposed to be the start of a new reboot trilogy. The second movie would have focused on John Connor/T-3000 and his past, as well as his new nature.

You didn't like Bale as Connor?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    To add to what BatKeaton said, the Matt Smith (11th Doctor) character was Skynet. He was the true villain of the movie and I'm guessing the one who would have recurred in 2 and 3 of the proposed reboot trilogy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    To add to what BatKeaton said, the Matt Smith (11th Doctor) character was Skynet. He was the true villain of the movie and I'm guessing the one who would have recurred in 2 and 3 of the proposed reboot trilogy.
    Yes. He was a Skynet coming from an alternate universe, crossing dimensions.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 07-15-2021 at 10:56 AM.

I mean, Genisys had an original idea, but the execution was rough

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    I mean, Genisys had an original idea, but the execution was rough
    No. There was a solid screenplay, solid direction and terrific action pieces. It's a great movie, and a genuinely refreshing take on the same subject.

The only flop of the franchise is Dark Fate, despite having an aged Sarah Connor played by the very same actress of the first two installments, 28 years since the second entry.