Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Anyone Else Tired of Remixed Rock Tunes In Comic Book Movies?

I guess it really is a trend in blockbuster movies in general, but does anyone else notice this? It seems like at least 3/4 of current comic book movies either feature a remixed rock tune in the marketing or in the movie itself. Often-times the connection to the film is thematically vague, if not non-existent.

*MINOR SPOILERS*

The opening scene of Black Widow implements a slow tempo, piano-driven cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I understood what the desired effect was, but it honestly just made me roll my eyes really hard.

Am I just being nitpicky, or do you folks notice this too?

Depends on the context. Having your protagonists reach the Sahara to a Pitbull cover of "Africa" is obviously atrocious, on the other hand the opening credits of BW are amazing also due to the song.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

I am not tired of it. But like anything else, it's about execution.

It was a little odd to have a song about teenage rebellion played over a movie that was about female slavery, basically (BW). Not really sure if it was intended to be as ironic as it seemed.

Guess it really depends. On the artist and the song and the movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Honestly other then Black Widow because I just saw it I can't think think of any other ones. Never would have remembered the Aquman one if someone didn't post it. I feel like the Majority of Rock in the MCU is just the song being played not a remix. But I'm sure there's a bunch I just don't recall.

I feel like Hip Hop gets retooled for Movies or Trailers more. Horror movies right now love taking a classic Hip Hop song and making it erie.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 07-09-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Honestly other then Black Widow because I just saw it I can't think think of any other ones. Never would have remembered the Aquman one if someone didn't post it. I feel like the Majority of Rock in the MCU is just the song being played not a remix. But I'm sure there's a bunch I just don't recall.

I feel like Hip Hop gets retooled for Movies or Trailers more. Horror movies right now love taking a classic Hip Hop song and making it erie.
    Gary Clark Jr's rendition of "Come Together" was a really big part of the marketing for Justice League. Some other recent big blockbuster (tbf, not a comic movie I don't think) had a really overblown rendition of "Seven Nation Army", though I can't recall what it was. Hellboy '19 had a cover of Smoke on the Water in one of the trailers. Those are just a handful off the top of my head.

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, and this whole thing is just a microcosm of pop tune needle drops in film in general. I guess I feel like this is just a cheap way to elicit excitement, or to imply more "atmosphere" to a scene than what is actually there. But ultimately that's the job of marketing so I kinda get it too.

As no-one seems to have named a single remix yet in this thread about remixes, Blade opened with a (completely unrecognisable) remix of Confusion by New Order. It was 1998, you had to be there.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    As no-one seems to have named a single remix yet in this thread about remixes, Blade opened with a (completely unrecognisable) remix of Confusion by New Order. It was 1998, you had to be there.
    Perhaps I should have titled the thread "covers/re-mixes", as it would have more accurately covered what I'm talking about. But yes, good pick

As is almost always the case, I think it's a case-by-case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    IThe opening scene of Black Widow implements a slow tempo, piano-driven cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I understood what the desired effect was, but it honestly just made me roll my eyes really hard.
    Didn't recognize the song (although I due often tune out the lyrics to pop songs in movies when used as score). Personally, I have to say it was a well-done sequence overall, but that's me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It was a little odd to have a song about teenage rebellion played over a movie that was about female slavery, basically (BW). Not really sure if it was intended to be as ironic as it seemed.
    It's up for debate what Smells Like Teen Spirit is actually about (my take would be it was Cobain writing nihilistic nonsense) but it definitely was the anthem for the teenage generation of the 90s so I found it pretty fitting to use a melancholic version of it while depicting how Nat was deprived of having that normal teenage life.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    It's up for debate what Smells Like Teen Spirit is actually about (my take would be it was Cobain writing nihilistic nonsense) but it definitely was the anthem for the teenage generation of the 90s so I found it pretty fitting to use a melancholic version of it while depicting how Nat was deprived of having that normal teenage life.
    Oh yah I can see that too. Incidentally I should have added that I absolutely loved the slowed down, more melancholy version.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

I feel it is part of the phase of this era of comic films. I dont remember in full depth all the comic films trailers of the 2000s, but I am pretty sure many did not have rock tunes. I remember them using more opera tunes, than rock tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I feel it is part of the phase of this era of comic films. I dont remember in full depth all the comic films trailers of the 2000s, but I am pretty sure many did not have rock tunes. I remember them using more opera tunes, than rock tunes.
    Well, trends come and go. I mean, Inception popularized the blaster beam pulse in trailers, to the point that it's kinda lost its effect (although Rogue One did a pretty decent job making it fresh again by using the Death Star klaxon). Someday that'll die down again. Course, there's a reason stuff gets overused; because it can work really well.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, trends come and go. I mean, Inception popularized the blaster beam pulse in trailers, to the point that it's kinda lost its effect (although Rogue One did a pretty decent job making it fresh again by using the Death Star klaxon). Someday that'll die down again. Course, there's a reason stuff gets overused; because it can work really well.
    It is indeed a trend but a very generic one. it also plays well with the action fast paced vibe of these films, many times to hide the issue there is not much plot or story going on, that is why the rock tunes are used because it is loud and feeds off everything moving so fast in the trailer ,this is also why sometimes, when you here a dialogue in the trailer, it can sound or mean something different in the actual film.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-09-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Ultimate Member

I never got the obsession with reusing old music in cbms in general. The MCU does this plenty, but even just movies and shows in general do. I don't get it