Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
1. Well, the big problem of the China release is also influenced heavily by the day and date release. BW's China box office will likely be hampered heavily by the day and date release as piracy is a big factor there and thanks to the Disney+ release every MCU fan in China can already watch an illegal copy of BW in high quality. Under normal circumstances 200 million from China would have been a reasonable expectation, we'll see how much it'll make in the end, I don't think it will come close to that number due to pirated copies already flooding the country.

The delay itself wouldn't be a big problem by the way. Infinity War's China release also happened some weeks after the US start but as IW wasn't released on Disney+ simultaneously there were no high quality copies of it already available prior to its China release so it didn't affect the box office result. So if the China result of BW disappoints one can clearly blame the Disney+ release.

2. The 365 million for Godzilla vs Kong is the international box office, not worldwide. So at the moment BW is roughly 200 million shy of it. Worldwide GvK stands at 465 million.

I used the international box office because GvK only had a day and date streaming release in the USA as HBO Max wasn't available in other countries at that point, thus GvK's international cume is not affected by a simultaneous streaming release, whereas Disney+ is available in many markets and hampering BW's international box office. What's also important: Warner was even smart enough to release GvK a couple days earlier in China than domestic so that pirated copies from HBO Max couldn't affect the opening weekend in China and it paid off.

I still can't believe how naive Disney approached the China release of BW. Everyone in the business knew months ago that China would put an embargo on foreign movies for July, yet Chapek obviously didn't see a problem in that, whereas Warner showed awareness of the piracy problem that comes with a day and date release and acted accordingly.
Oh wow...I didn't know GvK did that well WW. BW is far away from it. I stand corrected.

I also didn't know Disney handled the China release like that.