Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

After a promising start, Black Widow dropped to the extent it will be the worst performing Marvel movie ever. To me that goes beyond pandemic. It tells me me not a lot of people wanted to see it, and even fewer wanted to see it again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    After a promising start, Black Widow dropped to the extent it will be the worst performing Marvel movie ever. To me that goes beyond pandemic. It tells me me not a lot of people wanted to see it, and even fewer wanted to see it again.

Ok based on what. Seriously. You discount the pandemic. No movie is doing well. NONE OF THEM ARE. And Black widow will soon be the highest grossing picture domestically, this year. Thats with tens in millions of streaming. What movie is going to do better than Black Widow this year. Ill wait.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Ok based on what. Seriously. You discount the pandemic. No movie is doing well. NONE OF THEM ARE. And Black widow will soon be the highest grossing picture domestically, this year. Thats with tens in millions of streaming. What movie is going to do better than Black Widow this year. Ill wait.
    The drop from week one to two does not reflect the effects of the pandemic. BW did great week 1, and terrible week 2. That suggests people reacted with a yawn.

Astonishing Member

The drop from week one to two does not reflect the effects of the pandemic. BW did great week 1, and terrible week 2. That suggests people reacted with a yawn.

Of course drop from week 1 to week 2 has to do with the pandemic and same day streaming. Did you see the drop for Fast and Furious week 1 to week 2? What do you think the drop from Space jam week 1 to week 2 is going to be. The die hards went to the theater. The rest stayed home and streamed it same day. There are no movies doing well. And with the way covid is going again its not going to get better. Well I hope it does but its not looking like it. The movie theater business across the board domestically is a freaking disaster this year.

I mean this weekend is just gonna be snake eyes making nothing. And the rest barely making anything.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-22-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Of course drop from week 1 to week 2 has to do with the pandemic and same day streaming. Did you see the drop for Fast and Furious week 1 to week 2? What do you think the drop from Space jam week 1 to week 2 is going to be. The die hards went to the theater. The rest stayed home and streamed it same day. There are no movies doing well. And with the way covid is going again its not going to get better. Well I hope it does but its not looking like it. The movie theater business across the board domestically is a freaking disaster this year.

I mean this weekend is just gonna be snake eyes making nothing. And the rest barely making anything.
    Exactly.

We can't compare a day and date streaming/theatre release to other time periods when that wasn't the case.

I really doubt any movie will be able to maintain consecutive high weekend grosses when they are being available to be streamed.

It's just not going to happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

We can't compare a day and date streaming/theatre release to other time periods when that wasn't the case.

I really doubt any movie will be able to maintain consecutive high weekend grosses when they are being available to be streamed.

The numbers include streaming

Astonishing Member

Exactly.

100 percent correct. Even without a pandemic if they do same day streaming there isn't a movie on planet earth that won't have massive drops. Its only logical. Sorry I am just getting annoyed with posters posting things about Box office returns likes its the summer of 2019.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-22-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

No they don't. Disney released streaming numbers for the first 3 days thats it.

BANNED

With ‘Black Widow’ ticket buying suddenly drying up, growing questions for Disney’s Marvel about what did it in
    By Steven Zeitchik

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...l-black-widow/

Astonishing Member

Exactly.

Then again Cruella was also available on Disney Plus from day 1 but have you seen its weekend-to-weekend box office drops in North America? It was initially expected to make 60 million tops but it's at 84 million now because of that. It obviously had wildfire word of mouth with enough theaterphiles. And similar happened overseas.

Black Widow of course made all of that in a few days, but we're talking about the MCU brand here. Time will tell if there's enough people who didn't care enough about it in the first place (or hear well enough about it after opening weekend) to not mind pirating it or watching it way later.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Then again Cruella was also available on Disney Plus from day 1 but have you seen its weekend-to-weekend box office drops in North America? It was initially expected to make 60 million tops but it's at 84 million now because of that. It obviously had wildfire word of mouth with enough theaterphiles. And similar happened overseas.

Black Widow of course made all of that in a few days, but we're talking about the MCU brand here. Time will tell if there's enough people who didn't care enough about it in the first place (or hear well enough about it after opening weekend) to not mind pirating it or watching it way later.
    Yes, time will tell.

But Cruella didn't have the relatively huge opening that BW did.

Which was my original point, there's no movie that has opened huge and maintained relatively high grosses for consecutive weekends since the onset of the pandemic.

Ultimate Member

Disney hasn't released streaming numbers since the first weekend.

Also for me personally I don't see a lot of people talking about BW not online not in RL Wich tell's me if they have see in they just don't care that much at least compared to other MCU movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post

Cruella story goes like this. People were not willing to stream it for 30 bucks. Its opening was super low. It had good holds but really like we have said before, 83 million is terrible for that film. I wish, we all wish it had done better. But there are no movies that are going to do well. I don't know what the streaming numbers were for Cruella. Personally for me I couldn't put 30 bucks on it. It comes out in August now on regular Disney plus. I am sure I will enjoy it. It looks really good.

Astonishing Member

Yes, time will tell.

But Cruella didn't have the relatively huge opening that BW did.

Which was my original point, there's no movie that has opened huge and maintained relatively high grosses for consecutive weekends since the onset of the pandemic.
    But it's also all about expectations. Cruella even before the pandemic wouldn't have been necessarily hoped by the studio to debut with let's say 150 million in North America because according to Forbes its budget was 100 million (half of Black Widow) and it's not even a remake of a Disney classic but a prequel/villain origin story angle while BW is not only MCU but has the same ScarJo people already know and like. You can't use the same ruler to measure every movie.

Anyway Cruella made over twice its budget in worldwide theaters alone not including Disney Plus sales (or whatever piracy stole). BW hasn't done that. I'd have thought all along it would easily happen, and might still happen, just hasn't happened yet.

Also A Quiet Place Part II didn't drop massively either. People fussed about the 2nd weekend dropping more than the original, but Conjuring 3 happened to debut that weekend. Direct genre tentpole competition.
    Last edited by Wildling; 07-22-2021 at 07:16 PM.