Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    That is an interesting take, but one I do not agree with.

1. Box office performance is not a zero sum game. The success of GvK and F9 does not mean that every other movie is a failure. The idea that an MCU movie must be the most successful at the box office or it's a failure is not reflected in the actual history of the studio. Since 2008, Marvel Studios has released movies in 11 years. Marvel had the top grossing movie in only 3 of those years. Marvel not having the highest grossing movie this year is not an aberration, it is the norm.
    2. The MCU had a creative high point in 2018/2019. A lower BO performance can be seen as a Mean Reversion, not a collapse.
    2018/2019 was one and if not their lowest creative point. it started to become extremely obvious that MCU movies are all the same and there is a formula used for their films, people had said this around 2015 but it started to become clear to hardly deny by 2019, not to mention these was the year a very high profile director like Scorsese made major headlines pointing out the issue of the creative process of marvel movies.

Should we even consider a film like Captain Marvel or Far From Home, high creative stand points, compared to their direct counterparts of Wonder Woman 1 and Spiderman 2004? these 2 MCU films in particular don't even seem aware that there was always going to be a higher expectation but MCU is too wrapped up in their own formula bubble to realise this from a creative place, since Marvel did want to answer DC Wonder Woman with Captain Marvel but they failed to realise that what made Wonder Woman 1 work was Patty Jenkins, not a cooperate film-monopoly template that they used with Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Yet another "It made a billion dollars but I personally didn't like it and a bunch of youtubers didn't so we declare it a flop".

I don't think anyone who speaks honestly can even come to that conclusion. However sometimes, let the studio speak for themselves. I am saying this to the few who still dont want to accept Avengers 2 was a box office disappointment, when Marvel Disney has said so

with Natasha's death, I suspect this may well have been her last MCU movie, taking place in the past, so SJ probably isn't worried that this will severe her ties to Disney.
    Frankly I feel S J is one of those people ready to move on from MCU films. people seem to forget when she first arrived in Hollywood and had her big break with Lost in Translation, she was on her way to Oscar winning actress category of females. MCU so far seems to have slowed that down for her and she seem obviously hoping to get that back on track. just look at her most of her not MCU films like Jojo Rabbit and Marriage Story and her always saying she will be ready to work with Woody Allen again, Scar Jo looks to be so over this stuff. It is now such a shame , she has wrapped herself in what is looking to be a disney lawsuit mess.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-30-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    2018/2019 was one and if not their lowest creative point. it started to become extremely obvious that MCU movies are all the same and there is a formula used for their films, people had said this around 2015 but it started become clear to hardly deny by 2019...
    There is no "Marvel formula." In fact, they've only gotten more diverse as time as has gone on. The myth needs to die.

...not to mention these was the year a very high profile director like Scorsese made major headline pointing out the issue of the creative process of marvel movies.
    You mean the same guy who also admitted that he hadn't seen the movies in question (and didn't know what was or wasn't a Marvel movie)?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think if more cases like this one spring up it could fracture the MCU cast.

Astonishing Member

Still no China release dates for Shang-Chi and Eternals. Could look very underperforming for the next two movies, and when you factor in BW.........

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    The MCU was built on non-A-List actors (even RDJ at the time). Disney probably believes there are legions of actors eager to take up MCU roles.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Firstly, more mature than a Snyder movie isn't exactly a high bar to cross.

Secondly, humor has nothing to do with a movie not being mature, otherwise movies like Get Out couldn't be labeled mature.

That said, Yelena's humor was a way of compensating the things that were done to her. Such coping mechanisms exist in real life, too.
    True. As I am fond of saying even The Dark Knight had jokes and quips in it.
    And remembering the Guardians movies more or less does the same as BW did with Yelena with all the "happy" stuff that happened to them it is not a new thing the creators explored.

But I am sure all that is the usual "kid-friendly" stuff the MCU does and can't compare to the "more" mature stuff like the Synder movies^^
    Last edited by Dunkelzahn; 07-31-2021 at 01:39 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The MCU was built on non-A-List actors (even RDJ at the time). Disney probably believes there are legions of actors eager to take up MCU roles.
    it was not really all A List actors. Marvel then was a small company in 2008, so producing a big budget movie and then paying actors did not come cheap. I would not say back then Chris Helmsworth or Chris Evans were real A list actors and even RDJ back then was considered a has-been actor, his original pay was not even up to a million dollars for his first MCU film. So he was no a lister like Tom Cruise or Will Smith in 2008 . RDJ made a bug Hollywood comeback.

Once Marvel became successful, they could attract more actors on A list and when Disney bought them, money no longer became an issue. it was the artistry that became an issue.

Disney probably believes there are legions of actors eager to take up MCU roles.
    I think this is more complex area because now you are diving into character performances vs money. MCU movies are not the Post Batman and Robin kind of comic films like X-MEN 1 or Batman Begins, these were more comic films taken more seriously driven by heavier drama stories, so some actors would have favoured those kind of roles beyond just the pay. compared to MCU Style that is more light hearted action disney-comedy tone flicks, where some actors would only favour that for mostly the money.

We have sort of already discussed this ... how some high prolife actors are used in comic films post 2000s on this thread. it sort of feels different now for comic films presently.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...was-made/page2

The whole thing going with Scar Jo and the law suit.. I never thought for once she ever singed up to play Black Widow because it was the films that best showed off her acting skills. As time went by, she always felt disconnected from MCU films as a serious actress. so I am not surprise, it is all business for her, that she has now sued them. I think if it had been a Woody Allen film, she may not have taken that route.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-31-2021 at 03:46 AM.

Amazing Member

If the situation were the same with a Woody Allen movie perhaps she would. But as it is not remotly comparable...

"it is all business for her" You would call her fighting to get the director she wanted and taken a risk with an relativly unknown at that all or just business for her? Or her getting money on how sucessful the movie is?

"I think this is more complex area because now you are diving into character performances vs money. MCU movies are not the Post Batman and Robin kind of comic films like X-MEN 1 or Batman Begins, these were more comic films taken more seriously driven by heavier drama stories, so some actors would have favoured those kind of roles beyond just the pay. compared to MCU Style that is more light hearted action disney-comedy tone flicks, where some actors would only favour that for mostly the money."
    So much assumptions in this....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I would not really say for sure the cast may or could be as close as the media and the Disney marketing hype machine makes them. for the most part, actors are professionals first. some are lucky to start a friendship because they have acted in so many films together, other times, it is still just them been professionals and they see their peers more as acquittance than friends.

Not saying this is a fact that is the nature of the MCU cast because they seem to like and get on well with eachother but still....it could may as well be. Also, didn't RDJ recently stop following his cast members that made fans speculate he must have had a fallen out with them.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/06/enter...rnd/index.html
    Robert Downey Jr. has Marvel fans shook because he unfollowed his MCU costars

Holy First World Problems, Batman.

People really stress out over when someone famous un-follows someone/thing? Jesus Christ, I'm so glad I never bought into this social media frenzy.

And wait...do you...you bookmark all these little links like this?
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 07-31-2021 at 05:06 AM.

Amazing Member

I would not really say for sure the cast may or could be as close as the media and the Disney marketing hype machine makes them. for the most part, actors are professionals first. some are lucky to start a friendship because they have acted in so many films together, other times, it is still just them been professionals and they see their peers more as acquittance than friends.

Not saying this is a fact that is the nature of the MCU cast because they seem to like and get on well with eachother but still....it could may as well be. Also, didn't RDJ recently stop following his cast members that made fans speculate he must have had a fallen out with them.

Key word is "Fan speculation" here. And if someone really thinks the stars manage their social media stuff personally I have a bridge to sell to them^^

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

People really stress out over when someone famous un-follows someone/thing? Jesus Christ, I'm so glad I never bought into this social media frenzy.

Me, too. Tried Facebook once but the account was removed because of inactivity^^

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

Those are not my personal POV. I was just pointing out a narrative of how Some fans and even the media may see this actors relationship to the likely actual reality of what is and yes, some do freak out when RDJ unfollows his cast members.

I also do not think much about bookmarks I just post links in the most easiest ways to back up some of my own post.

Those are not my personal POV. I was just pointing out a narrative of how Some fans and even the media may see this actors relationship to the likely actual reality of what is and yes, some do freak out when RDJ unfollows his cast members.

I also do not think much about bookmarks I just post links in the most easiest ways to back up some of my own post.
    What opinion of yours does a “news article” about people freaking out over RDJ’s Instagram follows support, again?

‘Cause if it ain’t “people are whack”…

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    There is no "Marvel formula." In fact, they've only gotten more diverse as time as has gone on. The myth needs to die.
    Unfortunately, for some folks it's not a myth. It's a deeply held, and honest to them, belief. Like how some believe COVID vaccinations are government mind control conspiracies.