Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
The Indiana Jones movies really stretched the PG rating.

Temple of Doom (and Gremlins) led to the creation of PG-13 because those movies had a level of graphic violence that no PG could get away with. I’m not sure Temple of Doom would have been given a PG-13 rating today, the MPAA would probably have asked them to tone it down (not related but Spielberg and Lucas both said they weren’t at a good place mentally when they made Temple of Doom hence the “meaness” of the film).

It’s an interesting observation though. The most violence I’ve seen in a Marvel movies were probably in the first Avenger, Black Widow and Endgame where Thor straight up decapitated Thanos on screen. All that’s nothing compared to that Temple of Doom heart removal scene (that scene kept me up at night..no joke) or the Nazis melting in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Heck, Donovan rapidly aging into dust in the Last Crusade was pretty horrifying.
I mean if you look at the context of even the Pirates franchise they put in graphic scenes within the sense of that genre. Its still a family friendly franchise. So I think Marvel if they do a werewolf by night or the upcoming moon knight could do similar things.