Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Must remember to not read posts in these threads with tea in my mouth, haha. It's like a competition to outdo the last outrageously clueless statement, like how each successive Fast & Furious movie has to have less relation to reality than the last.

A montage of teen age girls being indoctrinated and abused with a song about teen age disenfranchisement. How can that possibly be seen as appropriate?
    Black Widow was not just a "spy film". In fact the focus was more on the family and their history than a pure espionage thriller like Winter Soldier.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I may be coming to the conclusion that some may think Nirvana were on the level of Chuck Berry, Beatles, Rolling Stones or Little Richards with rock music.lol. That is just so not the case. Nirvana's music back then appealed more to teen angst and mostly the 90s kids rebellion phase all hyped up by the classic MTV era. However, I am sure if Kurt Cobain had lived, he will have grown from that kind of music to more mature intellectual substance rock music like U2 and Def Leppard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    A montage of teen age girls being indoctrinated and abused with a song about teen age disenfranchisement. How can that possibly be seen as appropriate?
    Black Widow was not just a "spy film". In fact the focus was more on the family and their history than a pure espionage thriller like Winter Soldier.
    No not really because I said, it is done as a montage, you can easily not even guess what is really going on. Also how come this is not the highlight of the film that is talked about. instead we are left with another MCU formula movie with lots of action and quips and big cgi 3rd act. the highlight of xmen 1 even after 21 years is that Nazi scene, because that was actually a major scene (not a montage mixed with angst music) and a big plot point that went on to drive the entire story of the film.

You know you can make the case that GOTG 1 is just as heavy when starlord's mum dies but again, this is not the highlight of the movie. the jokes, quiping and dancing off is the highlight because Marvel still has to keep a particular tone.

You know Black Panther also had some kind of Montage where slavery was briefly shown. However this is not a direct equivalent to HBO Watchmen and there is a reason for that, HBO can handle more harder gritter scenes and moments for a long period of time and show them at their most raw than a MCU film.
    Some here are calling it a spy film. Also Winter Solider is not an espionage movie anymore than Ant Man is heist film. Although Winter Solider is perhaps the most mature film marvel has done, which is not a high standard outside the marvel studio bubble where you have to take into account other comic films from WB, New line Cinema or Fox. Ben Affleck's Argo is what you call an actual espionage thriller movie.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-26-2021 at 08:49 AM.

Ultimate Member

I may be coming to the conclusion that some may think Nirvana were on the level of Chuck Berry, Beatles, Rolling Stones or Little Richard in terms of rock music.lol. That is just so not the case. Nirvana's music back then appealed more to teen angst and mostly the 90s kids rebellion phase. I am sure if Kurt Cobain had lived, he will have grown from that kind of music to more mature intellectuals rock music like U2 and Def Leppard.
    What???!

Nirvana is arguably the single biggest influence on modern rock. Seriously, rock pretty much changed..forever after Nirvana (and Pearl Jam) dragged grunge into the mainstream.

Nevermind is in the Library of Congress for being culturally significant. It's often cited as one of the greatest albums ever...of any genre. In modern times, I can't think of a more influential work and I'm not even exaggerating. I'm old enough to remember how the music landscape change right in front of us when Nevermind was released, it was insane.

The only argument against them is they had a very limited discography but their impact on modern music is colossal and it certainly far,far,far more than Def Leppard.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-26-2021 at 09:17 AM.

"Teen angst" is NOT the same as "teeny bopper," Castle.

And you seriously don't see how a song about rebellion (as you admit it is) fits with a movie about enslavement?

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I may be coming to the conclusion that some may think Nirvana were on the level of Chuck Berry, Beatles, Rolling Stones or Little Richards with rock music.lol. That is just so not the case. Nirvana's music back then appealed more to teen angst and mostly the 90s kids rebellion phase all hyped up by the classic MTV era. However, I am sure if Kurt Cobain had lived, he will have grown from that kind of music to more mature intellectual substance rock music like U2 and Def Leppard.
    The irony of you bringing up The Beatles considering that the early stages of The Beatles and their first few albums were teenybopper music, and the band themselves were teen idols.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Actually the Black Widow's opening credit is pretty cliche because of the song, if u go back to some of the spoiler thread, some did bring up this issue, marvel or even comic films have over done the music thing.
    Was thinking more of the visuals, but, you're right; the song worked pretty well. (Besides, everything's been done before; it's how you remix it that counts.)

also this is montage of random clips, they are not scenes or specific
    It's anything but random. Heck, I'd argue it's one of the better montage scenes out there, since it uses the visuals to covey the emotions and stories by association and metaphors without just showing clips of the characters doing stuff, if that makes any sense.

I am not really sure saying this is darker than anything Snyder did. The Knightmare scene was darker.
    The Knightmare scene was the one of the most childish scenes in that film (and seeing how the movie overall was one of the most childish capes and tights films out there, that's saying something). You want something on the level of the darkness of the Black Widow sequence, try Batman torturing the Joker in the Dark Knight. If nothing else, the Black

Lastly directors like Snyder or even Bryan Singer, which you once tried to compare the nazi camp in xmen 1, which is just NOT comparable.
    Don't remember that; what was the context?

...these directors knew how to keep the dark tone and grittiness through to their films.
    So you've said. Frankly, I think that Nolan and James Mangold did it better, but what the heck?

...MCU cannot hold onto that, they have to to fall back to their jokes, light hearted story telling and bright atmospheric tone.
    And yet they're still more mature than Snyder. Funny, that.

I dont think anyone can argue that MCU has had some darker moments, however they don't actually have dark movies like X2 or TDK...
    Which is irrelevant to the question of whether their movies are good.

...that still does not have any bad editing that brings down the entire film. lol
    Thought we were taking about the MCU, not the Snyderverse?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Back to the original subject, my basic issue I think with the MCU future is that I don't know what it, or any part of it, is about. I don't know what Shang Chi is about, I don't know what Eternals is about, I don't know what Doctor Strange is about, but there is an expectation that I will be excited about all of these projects. Guess what? I'm not. Maybe this will change when they give me trailers that are more than set pieces, but for now I'm me.
    They are at a stage without a clear direction for the first time. They introduced the Avengers Initiative at the end of Iron Man and then announced Thanos' involvement at the end of Avengers so all we have right now is the vague allusions of the Countess' vague plans

Incredible Member

Sadly I'm not looking forward to the future of the MCU. To me, Endgame truly felt like the end and I'm glad they approached it like that. I feel like the soul of the MCU were Tony and Steve and now that they're gone, it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    Sadly I'm not looking forward to the future of the MCU. To me, Endgame truly felt like the end and I'm glad they approached it like that. I feel like the soul of the MCU were Tony and Steve and now that they're gone, it's over.
    That is silly. It's like saying the soul of Star Wars were Luke, Han and Leah and without them.....Oh! Wait!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is silly. It's like saying the soul of Star Wars were Luke, Han and Leah and without them.....Oh! Wait!
    And I...am both Jedi and Iron Man!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    So, basically what I'm understanding from this post is you like things static, no change no evolving, no progression. Well, I will be happy to keep watching MCU stuff going forward, but I'll look back to check and see how you'll be enjoying your 233rd rewatch of Endgame

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    They are at a stage without a clear direction for the first time. They introduced the Avengers Initiative at the end of Iron Man and then announced Thanos' involvement at the end of Avengers so all we have right now is the vague allusions of the Countess' vague plans
    That is definitely a tough act to follow. Avengers Initiative guaranteed more superheroes in a single universe, and Thanos guaranteed a specific storyline. Even if you didn't know the story, you soon got the hype from it from other excited fans of the movie.

I don't know who the Countess is. I assume it's a Black Widow thing. That is fine and good for future Black Widow films, but nothing really beyond that. Like trying to position Whiplash as the next Big Bad for a lot of heroes at once.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, basically what I'm understanding from this post is you like things static, no change no evolving, no progression. Well, I will be happy to keep watching MCU stuff going forward, but I'll look back to check and see how you'll be enjoying your 233rd rewatch of Endgame
    I think they are just wondering where the soul of the MCU is going to come from. There are no clear candidates yet.

Whether the age of Marvel movies is done depends on what the heck they have planned. I don't know what they're planning to build to now. But I think they need some goal to build towards or risk fizzling out.