Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The Indiana Jones movies really stretched the PG rating.

Temple of Doom (and Gremlins) led to the creation of PG-13 because those movies had a level of graphic violence that no PG could get away with. I’m not sure Temple of Doom would have been given a PG-13 rating today, the MPAA would probably have asked them to tone it down (not related but Spielberg and Lucas both said they weren’t at a good place mentally when they made Temple of Doom hence the “meaness” of the film).

It’s an interesting observation though. The most violence I’ve seen in a Marvel movies were probably in the first Avenger, Black Widow and Endgame where Thor straight up decapitated Thanos on screen. All that’s nothing compared to that Temple of Doom heart removal scene (that scene kept me up at night..no joke) or the Nazis melting in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Heck, Donovan rapidly aging into dust in the Last Crusade was pretty horrifying.
    I mean if you look at the context of even the Pirates franchise they put in graphic scenes within the sense of that genre. Its still a family friendly franchise. So I think Marvel if they do a werewolf by night or the upcoming moon knight could do similar things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean if you look at the context of even the Pirates franchise they put in graphic scenes within the sense of that genre. Its still a family friendly franchise. So I think Marvel if they do a werewolf by night or the upcoming moon knight could do similar things.
    Honestly when it comes to context it always came across that other Disney films like Pirates of the Caribbean and even their Star Wars had more to offer than their MCU films and the only reasonable explanation I can give to this is that from Disney point of veiw. MCU are comics and comics means kid friendly, toys, colours, fun, jokes, light hearted tone and atmosphere and all the other jazzes, whereas star wars and Pirates of the Caribbean are more in the genre of fantasy, so on paper and in all the stereotypical narrative, Fantasy has always been held as a higher genre with heavier context compared to comics. This is not true of course, however it is myth that Disney brought to reality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Honestly when it comes to context it always came across that other Disney films like Pirates of the Caribbean and even their Star Wars had more to offer than their MCU films and the only reasonable explanation I can give to this is that from Disney point of veiw. MCU are comics and comics means kid friendly, toys, colours, fun, jokes, light hearted tone and atmosphere and all the other jazzes, whereas star wars and Pirates of the Caribbean are more in the genre of fantasy, so on paper and in all the stereotypical narrative, Fantasy has always been held as a higher genre with heavier context compared to comics. This is not true of course, however it is myth that Disney brought to reality.

I mean other than Revenge of the Sith? Star Wars movies are basically MCU movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, my point was that there's fringe characters in the MU that were inspired by other genres and that aren't used to sell children's lunch boxes and backpacks, that make a certain amount of sense to do edgy material with. But when we're talking about characters created 50yrs ago to sell to 14yr olds...sure we can do content that appeals to adults with them, but is it necessary to add more gore and curse words in order to pretend that we're more "serious"?

Hell, I have to raise an eyebrow about how DC/Warner Bros other media has handled Harley Quinn in the last few years...
    I mean with Harley, she comes from a really dark place to begin with. I mean the Joker is a dark character. Marvel has similar characters, there is probably no one as horrible/evil as the red skull, but Marvel killed him off early. So in that respect they managed to avoid him. LOL. Even if he is a great character.

Ultimate Member

Very true.

And Disney made Pirates and those movies were fairly violent and dark despite being a family friendly franchise.

BANNED

I mean other than Revenge of the Sith? Star Wars movies are basically MCU movies.
    I am going to disagree, I think Last Jedi was pretty dark compared to any MCU film and The Force Awakens was trying to be A new Hope.

The VFX, Sound Mixing, Make up and Cinematography of their Star Wars films are very different to the MCU.

I am not sure I have ever meet any person, who complained a lot about Disney star wars as a film in terms of art, at least not with episode 8 and 9, what they just don't like is the story, plot of the films and characters.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-11-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Very true.

And Disney made Pirates and those movies were fairly violent and dark despite being a family friendly franchise.

Yea those movies could almost be considered POP horror as opposed to real horror. But it could work within the Marvel Franchises.

Astonishing Member

I am going to disagree, I think Last Jedi was pretty dark compared to any MCU film and The Force Awakens was trying to be A new Hope.

The VFX, Sound Mixing, Make up and Cinematography of their Star Wars films are very different to the MCU.

I am not sure I have ever meet any person, who complained a lot about how the star wars as a film in terms of art. what they just don't like is the story, plot of the films and characters.
    Eh. Sorry I disagree. The last Jedi is no darker than Infinity War or Endgame.

Ultimate Member

LOL, As a person who remembers having or seeing Punisher's ads were he is in a Archie Comic, Punisher is a character that can be open to any interpretation. I even thought he was quite a funny character when he guest starred in Spiderman TAS, what is the problem is that with MCU, Punisher may never reach his full potential in a big block buster MCU movie.

Ha, you think Punisher, what of Kingpin. To me easily a top 5 Marvel comic villain of all time and not to mention he is the main villain in Into Spiderverse, a pg 13 cartoon. it is sad and makes marvel look bad that such an awesome grounded villain like Kingpin was relegated to cheap Netflix shows, when Kingpin is well deserving of a billion dollar blockbuster film like the Joker even if the film is pg 13 like The Dark Knight and this is will likely never happen because Kingpin may be too strong for MCU POV of PG 13. However if it was Sony, it is a piece of cake.
    Hmm...Punisher has been the star of three feature length movies and a Netflix series. We can argue about how good or bad those things were, but I'm not sure what you mean about him not reaching his "potential"...

As far as Kingpin being "regulated" to Netflix...those Netflix Marvel shows were mostly well received ( except for Iron Fist and even that did well enuff to get a 2nd season). Vincent D'onofrio did a great job with the role in my opinion. Just because a movie is released in theatres, that doesn't make it automatically worthy of great status than something on TV or a streaming service.

Ultimate Member

I think a lot of stuff simply comes down to what a director wants to do.

Guys like Christopher Nolan basically makes PG-13 movies with very serious subject matter. Certainly more than movies like Deadpool or BoP or any of the X-men movies.

A PG-13 could cover a whole lot of ground without graphic violence, nudity or swearing. Marvel has done stuff like that with Black Panther and Black Widow.

There’s a reason why BP got acclaim for themes over the X-men movies. What really hurt that series was the sheer amount of nonsense in-between from the shoddy, rushed production of X-men 3 to X-men Origins Wolverine (complete with studio interference) and even more recently with Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. Fox didn’t handle that franchise as well as they could.

Marvel shouldn’t have any problem with handling the themes of the X-men and still have the movies entertaining within a PG-13 rating. Fox pretty much messed the mainline franchise.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-11-2021 at 12:56 PM.

I am not sure I have ever meet any person, who complained a lot about Disney star wars as a film in terms of art, at least not with episode 8 and 9, what they just don't like is the story, plot of the films and characters.
    While not a dark film I'd say, Rogue One was darker than most Star Wars I think.
    Then again, that just might because, you know, Rogue One dies (shouldn't be a spoiler, anyone who saw A New Hope should know that).

Ultimate Member

Re: Star Wars.

IMO the darkest Star Wars movies was Revenge of the Sith.

From the murder of kids to the amount of limbs cut off and it’s depressing ending, I left the theatre feeling rather down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While not a dark film I'd say, Rogue One was darker than most Star Wars I think.
    Then again, that just might because, you know, Rogue One dies (shouldn't be a spoiler, anyone who saw A New Hope should know that).
    Oh yes, how could I forget about Rogue One. Also I don't really like to say this but Disney Star Wars film don't look like animations. I am sorry but they don't. Marvel films have a animation styled style and I cannot see anyone who has recently even seen their latest Shang CHI not honestly see were why I am saying this. Not to spoil but the 3rd arc of the movie is just an animated film.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Hmm...Punisher has been the star of three feature length movies and a Netflix series. We can argue about how good or bad those things were, but I'm not sure what you mean about him not reaching his "potential"...

As far as Kingpin being "regulated" to Netflix...those Netflix Marvel shows were mostly well received ( except for Iron Fist and even that did well enuff to get a 2nd season). Vincent D'onofrio did a great job with the role in my opinion. Just because a movie is released in theatres, that doesn't make it automatically worthy of great status than something on TV or a streaming service.

Well I mean there could be a point here. Is Kingpin really regulated to how Vincent portrayed him? I don't really know. I think you still can do a good Kingpin within the context of the MCU framework. Would it be different? Yea. But it could still be done well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean sure its dark in that everyone dies. But I don't know if that means its any darker than Iron Man dying at the end of endgame or the Vision getting his infinity stone ripped out of his head, in Infinity war, or the Black widow falling to her death in Endgame.