Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The reason Gunn will also never make an R rated GOTG movie is because that is impossible with Disney. he has accepted that and is speaking from that point.
    Except the MCU can do R-rated movies, and this has been pointed out to you, with direct quotes, multiple times. So no, he wasn't speaking "from that point." Maybe try taking people's word for what they say instead of twisting it to match your own biases.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It would also be wrong to say that the MCU has a formula, when they do not (Thor, anyone?).
    I mean, they do have a formula, but it's like pretty generically applicable to any big budget action film that is family friendly. Most films (and honestly most things) abide by some formula. I never really understood why the MCU gets ragged on for it when that's pretty much normal.

When I was using the term unreliable narrator. I meant Gunn's own story. the events of Birds of Prey does not need and did not really need to narrate SS 2 because Gunn never took birds of prey to high account.
    I'm completely lost on what you're original point was now.

The reason Gunn will also never make an R rated GOTG movie is because that is impossible with Disney. he has accepted that and is speaking from that point. It is will be ridiculous for anyone to even push a GOTG R rated film when you think GOTG is the most Disney themed of the MCU movies.

Gunn can do what he wants in the Disney box space he is given, but I really doubt he can do what he wants like breaking out of the box to enter another box.
    "I think they [Marvel Studios] will [make R-rated movies], I think they will, I’m almost sure they will. Not ‘Guardians’ though, because ‘Guardians’ are family movies, so it’s different. People are like, ‘Finally, they let you do R rating. What would “Guardians” be like if that was R rated?’ I’m like, ‘But it’s not.'...I could go off and make a Drax movie that’s R-rated, that I would love to do, like barbarian Drax. But the ‘Guardians’ movies are fables, and I don’t think of them like that. I don’t write them like that. It’s a different type of movie, and you can have some gore and some scary darkness in there and things like that, which is good, but it’s not the rock and roll of ‘Suicide Squad.'" - James Gunn, 2021

So, let's break this down. In various interviews, Gunn has stated that he likes to make different kinds of movies, including PG-13 and R-rated ones (like the Guardians movies and Suicide Squad). He's also stated that he thinks the important thing is to make a good movie in and of itself, rather than just follow the leader, like making R-rated stuff to jump on the bandwagon of a popular R-rated film. He's also gone on record that he had extensive creative freedom on the Guardians movies and, by all accounts, is looking forward to making the next one. None of that meshes with what you're saying, so, either Gunn is lying or you're mistaken on this point. The latter is the only logical answer.

I was reading an interview of his, about how he speaks to NASA before he makes his GOTG movies, which seems to be a must for any movie that is space related. all the directors claim they talk to NASA.

The only thing is people who tend to speak to nasa before they make their space movies like Chris Nolan or Ron Howard, I noticed that their space movies always tend to end up looking like actual science documentaries even the one that still lean more into fantasy as Ridley Scott The Martian. GOTG barely looks like a sci fi documentary, because it is so insanely colourful in a child minded way, without any realism of how we see space and the universe.

I trust this is so because Disney loves their comic movies to looks a certain way to market it more to kids and keep the fun comedy tone. So even if I give Gun the benefit of the doubt that he does speak to NASA, it is does not seem up to the serious state of Ridley Scott's The Martian or Nolan's Interstellar and that is something I will put more on the MCU formula that he must work under than Gunn himself.
    Words fail me in regards to the illogic of this word salad.

No.
    I don't agree with that logic.

What lead to the worst stuff of the fox series was not really lack of direction. it was more about either the director and writers not been good enough or not understanding some things about their universe. This is separating dark phoenix and new mutants since those movies faced different challenges.
    That didn't help, to be sure.

Additionally everything you want to see in MCU X-MEN, has already been seen before, by watching the 25 MCU films. Feige still has to stick to his script.
    Funny how the more Feige flips the script and changes things up, the more you insist how samey they are (and how the earliest MCU stuff you've cited as the best is the stuff that had the least amount of variety and experimentation). In any event, since the movies have not been made, we factually do not know what they will be.

Additionally Mangold should be given the benefit of the doubt.
    Why? His statement is at odds with his own work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    I mean, they do have a formula, but it's like pretty generically applicable to any big budget action film that is family friendly. Most films (and honestly most things) abide by some formula. I never really understood why the MCU gets ragged on for it when that's pretty much normal.
    It's an easy argument to make if you want to "discredit" the MCU, since it sounds intelligent and is vague enough that it can mean almost anything you want.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    This is kind of a departure for me, and what's expressed here are strictly my own observations, and not intended to be received as Absolute Truth. Just my reactions to things.

1. Disney+ has not had a series as good as Netflix Iron Fist, let alone Daredevil (which wasn't outstanding by any stretch). As I watch Loki, for instance, I understand less about what the hell is going on than I did the episode before. I'm still not sure what the story of WandaVision was.

2. Movies have been sub-par, by Marvel standards. Thinking all the way back to Doctor Strange, which I loved, it seems now to be a pretty small story trying to be grandiose. Its primary purpose seems to establish the time stone in the MCU. I barely remember the love interest, if that's what she was, Dormammu comes off as less of a threat than Red Skull. Ant Man and the Wasp - I don't really remember what that was about, or why it was important (or even if it was important). GotG 2 I remember hardlty at all. I watched it for the second time a few months ago and was surprised to recall that Kurt Russell, one of my favorite actors, was even in it. Today I can't remember what the story was. Captain Marvel I also don't remember well. I know they did a great job making Samuel L. Jackson look age appropriate, but what was the story and why should I care about it?

It seems like more and more the Marvel Age of Movies is becoming quite forgettable. Granted, anything there (excepting perhaps Aquaman) is better than the latest DC movies by an incalculable margin, but still...I'm forgetting more of what I see in MCU stuff than I'm remembering. The first 10 years are like Beatles songs - name any one and I can recall it beat for beat.

Anyone else feeling this? Are you as excited for the next 10 years as you were the last 10 years?
    Returning to the OP, I'm wondering if it will really be meaningful to compare franchises' pre- and post-covid incarnations? Studios' desire to move to streaming makes for a very different experience for audiences, and how the financials work seems (to my, admittedly, poorly educated eyes) different enough that what a studio judges a success may differ substantially.

Astonishing Member

So Marvel has so far released two movies this year. And in this crazy pandemic year they will have in the very near future the top two domestic box office movies of the year. So yea the Marvel age of movie is no where near done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Returning to the OP, I'm wondering if it will really be meaningful to compare franchises' pre- and post-covid incarnations? Studios' desire to move to streaming makes for a very different experience for audiences, and how the financials work seems (to my, admittedly, poorly educated eyes) different enough that what a studio judges a success may differ substantially.
    The OP was not about COVID or sales. It was about how much interest there is in the new films. I eventually watched Black Widow (which I thought was well done, but meh), have no immediate desire to see Shang-Chi, and no interest at all in seeing Eternsls. No Way Home has no interest to me, and Multiverse of Madness even less. A multiverse, to me, ultimately complicates things unnecessarily and is best left to the mess that is left of the DCU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    So Marvel has so far released two movies this year. And in this crazy pandemic year they will have in the very near future the top two domestic box office movies of the year. So yea the Marvel age of movie is no where near done.
    I'll buy that. It would appear my view so far is not the popular one.

Astonishing Member

I will use a baseball analogy. If a guy wins a batting title batting .350, then wins another batting title batting .355, then wins another one the next year batting only .320. Well he had a worse year but he was still the best hitter in the league.

IIRC No way home teaser put up record setting numbers. Surpassing Endgame, so yea for the vast majority of people.. I think MCU is as prominent as ever. Shang Chi not only got great reviews but outperformed what people thought it would do by alot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm completely lost on what you're original point was now.
    The point was simple. Gunn does not care deeply about Birds of Prey.

So, let's break this down. In various interviews, Gunn has stated that he likes to make different kinds of movies, including PG-13 and R-rated ones (like the Guardians movies and Suicide Squad). He's also stated that he thinks the important thing is to make a good movie in and of itself, rather than just follow the leader, like making R-rated stuff to jump on the bandwagon of a popular R-rated film. He's also gone on record that he had extensive creative freedom on the Guardians movies and, by all accounts, is looking forward to making the next one. None of that meshes with what you're saying, so, either Gunn is lying or you're mistaken on this point. The latter is the only logical answer.
    No one will be jumping on a bandwagon because Deadpool was not the first r rated film and it is getting annoying people think Deadpoool is. r rated movies has existed for a long time, additionally some good movies needed to r rating to elevate why they were good movies. Joker, Logan, Saving Private Ryan. Gunn is making GOTG 3 now but has he yet said, this was the most content he has had on a film? I don't think he has. I could be wrong but if I am please quote him

Words fail me in regards to the illogic of this word salad.
    It is not salad, it is a celebration of NASA influence of fictional space movies that can be taken seriously when we actually watch them. When I watch Interstellar, I see the strong Nasa influence, mostly during the black hole and time dilation scene and just overall atmosphere of the movie with how Nolan nails the cinematography and beautiful use of VFX, that feels much more realistic. You don't watch GOTG and get that same kind of feeling even if that movie was fun.

Funny how the more Feige flips the script and changes things up, the more you insist how samey they are (and how the earliest MCU stuff you've cited as the best is the stuff that had the least amount of variety and experimentation). In any event, since the movies have not been made, we factually do not know what they will be.
    I saw Shang CHI, while this is not a spoilers thread, what I will say is that the script is merger of Iron Man 1 and Black Panther. it was a very fun movie like GOTG, although the 3rd arc is not really a definition of flipping the script.
    Why? His statement is at odds with his own work.
    No he does not because MCU does not have any movie like Logan, even The Wolverine was not like any MCU apart until maybe the 3rd arc, that if I remember correctly was not to Mangold's personally taste. Although The Wolverine third arc had stronger use of violence that was struggling to contain the pg 13 rating, which in return does not really make it like a mcu film.

People talk about the first scene of X-MEN 1 with Magneto in nazi camps but the opening scene of the wolverine also during world war 2, wont be in an MCU movie either and you look back now, wondering why did they not go for r rating in The Wolverine. So I don't see how Mangold will be contradicting his own work since the content of his movie is prove of what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Except the MCU can do R-rated movies, and this has been pointed out to you, with direct quotes, multiple times. So no, he wasn't speaking "from that point." Maybe try taking people's word for what they say instead of twisting it to match your own biases.
    What R rated movie has marvel announced in the coming future. apart from Deadpool 3 that does not really count because that all started from Fox and marvel by obligation feel they need to complete that trilogy. Did I miss any news that MCU Blade is no longer pg 13.
    Last edited by Castle; 09-08-2021 at 02:27 PM.

BANNED

What R rated movie has marvel announced in the coming future. apart from Deadpool 3 that does not really count because that all started from Fox and marvel by obligation feel they need to complete that trilogy. Did I miss any news that MCU Blade is no longer pg 13.
    What R-rated movie does Marvel need to do to make a great film? Black Widow was perhaps their best case for it, and they showed you don't need to go there to tell the great story that Black Widow needed to tell.

My apologies to the forum for enabling further.

Astonishing Member

What R-rated movie does Marvel need to do to make a great film? Black Widow was perhaps their best case for it, and they showed you don't need to go there to tell the great story that Black Widow needed to tell.

My apologies to the forum for enabling further.

This might be a dumb question but what needs to happen in a movie in order for it to be R-rated? A lot of swearing? Well thats not necessary in these movies. Nudity/ sex? Well thats not really important in these movies. So I guess the violence? And more so how the violence is portrayed? I guess if you were to do a Punisher movie or maybe Daredevil or werewolf by night or something. But I don't think any of those are on the docket.

Moonknight is a dark character. So it will be interesting how Disney + does it. If they can do that in a PG-13 mode effectively I don't see why they can't do anything effectively. Well except for Punisher and I don't think they will ever bring him in.

Oh sorry and I guess Blade. I am not sure how they can do that PG-13. But possibly? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    This might be a dumb question but what needs to happen in a movie in order for it to be R-rated? A lot of swearing? Well thats not necessary in these movies. Nudity/ sex? Well thats not really important in these movies. So I guess the violence? And more so how the violence is portrayed? I guess if you were to do a Punisher movie or maybe Daredevil or werewolf by night or something. But I don't think any of those are on the docket.

Moonknight is a dark character. So it will be interesting how Disney + does it. If they can do that in a PG-13 mode effectively I don't see why they can't do anything effectively. Well except for Punisher and I don't think they will ever bring him in.

Oh sorry and I guess Blade. I am not sure how they can do that PG-13. But possibly? I don't know.
    Rumors are the Marvel Disney+ Halloween special they announced is werewolf by night. Don't know if that's true but Jack Russel might be on the docket.

Also I think Vampire killing in Pg 13 is easy. The excuse for blood not squritng is they turn to dust. MCU loves cutting heads and limbs off. Just gotta be creative with the blood you do use and not make it overly graphic. Now if Blade is killing other creatures that aren't vampires it might be harder. Still doable for sure. Punisher imo is the only who needs to he R rated. Everything else can work if done well. Including Deadpool
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 09-09-2021 at 12:24 AM.

So because they haven't announced one means they'll never do one? What kind of logic is that? So I guess any character they've yet to announce a movie for is never going to get one now based on your logic. In fact, only the movies they've announced so far are the only ones that Marvel will ever get made. After this current run, the MCU is officially over. No more movies since they haven't been announced.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Rumors are the Marvel Disney+ Halloween special they announced is werewolf by night. Don't know if that's true but Jack Russel might be on the docket.

Also I think Vampire killing in Pg 13 is easy. The excuse for blood not squritng is they turn to dust. MCU loves cutting heads and limbs off. Just gotta be creative with the blood you do use and not make it overly graphic. Now if Blade is killing other creatures that aren't vampires it might be harder. Still doable for sure. Punisher imo is the only who needs to he R rated. Everything else can work if done well. Including Deadpool

I mean I am not going to doubt that Marvel can pull off a PG-13 blade movie. I am not a movie expert but I can't think of a vampire film that wasn't rated R that was any good. Ahh ok funny one just popped in my mind, not that it was good but the 2004 Van Helsing. Now if they took that route and just did it all better, I can see it getting done.