Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why? For the love of god why remind me? It's not bad enough he made the worst (my opinion) Godzilla movie ever, but he's freaking gonna do it again. Rewarded for making a movie that's best viewed as a series of fight clips uploaded to youtube out of the context of plot. Great...
    I don't like how the last Pet Sematary movie is getting some kind of spin-off either, but from their studio perspective it can be like squeeze the lemons now if they look juicy enough, or risk having no lemonade stand tomorrow.

BANNED

The arguments of what if, what-aboutism and even meltdowns from theatres about Black Widow's Box office, I think is over blown. people should focus more on the film making aspect of the film, which was pretty one of the weakest in Marvel so far even by their own standard of cooperate made mass manufacturing films.

This to me is a far bigger issue in deciding if the age of marvel can be done than their box office which I have no doubt will stabilise when the COVID nightmare starts to fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The arguments of what if, what-aboutism and even meltdowns from theatres about Black Widow's Box office, I think is over blown. people should focus more on the film making aspect of the film, which was pretty one of the weakest in Marvel so far even by their own standard of cooperate made mass manufacturing films.

This to me is a far bigger issue in deciding if the age of marvel can be done than their box office which I have no doubt will stabilise when the COVID nightmare starts to fade.
    "Stop using your arbitrary metrics and start using my arbitrary metrics"
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

It isn't just Marvel. If Space Jam 2 falls hard it shows people are not coming back after opening weekend.

Why? For the love of god why remind me? It's not bad enough he made the worst (my opinion) Godzilla movie ever, but he's freaking gonna do it again. Rewarded for making a movie that's best viewed as a series of fight clips uploaded to youtube out of the context of plot. Great...
    I actually rather liked it...
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

So did I and a lot of others. I get if someone doesn't like it personally but it was obviously a big hit, so why question them wanting to capitalize on that? I hate the Transformers series but I also understood mine was a minority opinion and never questioned why they kept making more.

BANNED

The film making aspect of films doesn't mean much if they don't generate revenue. Fortunately Marvel has been pretty consistently good about making movies that are both well-made and well-received (even the ones I personally hated). We can all thank our lucky stars that people in general seem to be more aware of the trash Snyder puts on film and see it for what it is. There are exceptions of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I don't like how the last Pet Sematary movie is getting some kind of spin-off either, but from their studio perspective it can be like squeeze the lemons now if they look juicy enough, or risk having no lemonade stand tomorrow.
    Oh I understand it from a business and studio perspective. But as a fan, I'm just hoping something happens to get Legendary to lose the rights or something. I'd rather see literally any other studio do Godzilla than see them go even further with it post GvK. I honestly might dance if Legendary went bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I actually rather liked it...
    All it did was confirm people's belief that kaiju movies are stupid films with no care put into anything that's not just monsters fighting - and it was made with that belief. Sure, it has the greatest giant monster action scenes of all time, but all the rest of the film is just awful to me. It doesn't feel like an actual movie to me, it feels like the director wanted to make a clip show of fights that is best seen as just that, clips uploaded to youtube out of context so you don't have to see the terrible in between scenes.

Frankly, I hate it. And that's not my only complaint. Making Godzilla an outright a-hole psychopath who wants to kill the monkey because of an unexplained "ancient rivalry" said with a hand wave so you don't actually have to spend time on a plot reason, when he had been a hero in the two previous movies, and then on top of switching Godzilla from a protagonist to an antagonist they make the antagonist win twice, just fucking wrecking Kong's **** twice. And then Kong just goes and saves Godzilla who'd been out to kill him for no good reason all movie because the little girl said the robot was his real enemy?

Yeah, no. I get that it was popular because again it really is the best kaiju fight scenes I've ever seen, but the total lack of give a **** about any attempt at real storytelling just leaves a damn bad taste. It isn't a movie, it's a series of fights meant to be viewed separately on youtube. And frankly, I'm no longer watching the MonsterVerse because of it. Because it did so well for whatever reason all future movies by Legendary will be just like it, and there's no way in hell I'm subjecting myself to it a second time. And it didn't have to be that way, they could have left all the amazing fights as is and still had an ok to decent plot and characterization. But they didn't care to, the fights were deemed the only thing worth any effort at all. I'm just praying Toho starts making Godzilla movies again so I can get back to watching my favorite kaiju without feeling pissed off afterwards.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with other people liking it. But I LOATHE, HATE, AND DESPISE this movie, and I've never ever once felt that way about a movie before, much less a Godzilla movie (and I've seen them all).

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    So did I and a lot of others. I get if someone doesn't like it personally but it was obviously a big hit, so why question them wanting to capitalize on that? I hate the Transformers series but I also understood mine was a minority opinion and never questioned why they kept making more.
    Oh I know a lot of people like it and it was a hit, never argued about it. Doesn't mean I can't wish for it to not continue because I personally hated it and regretted watching it. I mean, where in my post did I question it? I didn't.

BANNED

All it did was confirm people's belief that kaiju movies are stupid films with no care put into anything that's not just monsters fighting - and it was made with that belief. .
    This is going to sound rude and insensitive, but I gotta ask: did people really need confirmation that Kaiju movies are stupid (fun, but stupid)? I didn't really think that was a point up for debate.

It's not done but i frankly don't think they can pull it off a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    If any movie is going to do well, one would expect a Marvel movie to have the best chance. At least not bomb.
    So isn’t the natural conclusion that “no movie is going to do well” instead of “lolMarvelisdead”?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    So isn’t the natural conclusion that “no movie is going to do well” instead of “lolMarvelisdead”?
    It will only die if it stops making money.

This is going to sound rude and insensitive, but I gotta ask: did people really need confirmation that Kaiju movies are stupid (fun, but stupid)? I didn't really think that was a point up for debate.
    You're right - it is rude. Some kaiju movies are, but not all. It's like asking "did people really need confirmation that Superhero movies are stupid (fun, but stupid)? I didn't really think that was a point up for debate."

A lot of superhero movies are stupid as ****. But we don't generally make that assumption over the whole genre (maybe you do, I don't know you that well). It's the same with kaiju films, a lot are stupid, but a lot are pretty smart. And usually even the dumb ones aren't that dumb, they still attempt to put in as much thought into storytelling as the average MCU film, or at least any other popular sci-fi action film of the era. GvK was made with the director going in thinking that normal storytelling rules literally doesn't matter as long as the fights are good. I just can't stand that.

BANNED

The film making aspect of films doesn't mean much if they don't generate revenue.
    Maybe so, although I have always wondered if this was a good thing. One thing most of the comic films had...way back when, was that when ever their movies made revenue, the had the film making props to back it up. MCU now is way too much of a cooperate brand, so they are quite immune to this factor.

Would not shoe in ''well received'' MCU movies when these movies are not taken seriously enough, there are many well received comic movies now, but only a few can NOT be called kid friendly cookie-cutter generic comic films. Also well made by MCU own standard, I feel is cracking big time finally. the reception of Black Widow, the CGI was quite the bad mess, compared to actually well made movies with well done CGI.

This actually can be now all be explained. The original Black Widow director, Lucrecia Martel left the film because she wondered why she did not get to direct her own CGI scenes, she opted for that. However Marvel told her not to worry about and they will take care everything. again, a weak weakness of their formula. Can you imagine WB telling Christopher Nolan that they he does not need to worry and they will take care of his VFX and action scenes? Nolan may not have been the best director of action in his TDK era, but at least he directed his own action scenes.

https://www.avclub.com/marvel-offere...cre-1831076365
    Marvel offered to "take care of" action scenes if Lucrecia Martel would direct Black Widow

Honestly reading this stuff just makes me angry as a person who loves the art of films. I feel as if marvel is cheating out their directors. although none of these is surprising, because we have said many times here before. MCU movies are more manufactured than well made and when you hear Lucrecia story why she left and then watch the actual film.

The Snyder Cut is going to find it easy to sail on this year as the best well made comic film in terms of pure RAW film making. So far with Shang Chi and Eternals that looks 101 cooperate MCU, I don't see that toping what Snyder (THE FILM MAKER) did. Black Widow is not even in the same ranch as the The Snyder Cut and as for Spiderman no way home. I think from what we are gathering, the sell of the film will be the multiverse not any ground film making achievement we got with Spiderman 2004 or any story growth leap, like Peter not wanting Mary Jane to marry in that same Spiderman 2004, because Disney is going to keep reminding us, Spiderman is a child, who even needs another ,major present guardian with Dr Strange.

The Snyder cut you are calling trash, is going to likely sail down this year as the ultimate film maker's fantasy super hero film. while all the MCU films this year, will likely again get the cooperate Disney stamp on it for like the 10th time since 2014, which I am guessing will just draw more backlash form the Martin Scorsese types all over again.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-24-2021 at 03:00 AM.