Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Saying the film editing is notorious atrocious ain't true. no film making objective technique is backing that up because in TDK for the most part , the scenes ran smoothly and flowed well as the story came together, and it is even very noticeable because back then comic films were not so clouded with CGI Action every 5 minutes , so the story scenes of the film all fell into place cohesively. that is what film editing is, also notice I defined it while using it to explain the film style of Nolan.
    Here's a video for the serious art student to study https://youtu.be/801sR_U1Xkw

This may be a dead horse topic, but it is laughable to compare what Marvel defines as kid friendly compared to other studios. you do know that, Thor Ragnarok, a film you have said you dislike is when marvel took the kid friendly definition too far , this is the reason the movie became a light hearted comedy and adapted the GOTG style. Snyder did not use the same approach of light hearted comedy, because he was going for something more than what marvel would have called kid friendly, this is why even if The Snyder Cut and Thor Ragnarok are both comic book movies. only one ( the snyder cut) can be compared to Lord of the rings.
    I dislike Ragnarok because it broke with the character of the films it was based on, like Tom Hanks' Dragnet (although I found that one OK, probably because I never watched the original).

As for Snyder, all that really needs to be said is that he is never likely to get a major superhero movie again, and the future of the genre looks much brighter for that.

And the Snyder Cut can only be compared to LOTR as an example of how not to do LOTR,

BANNED

Maybe the question I should ask the OP is why would Gunn be saying this. Also I doubt GOTG can be a real heavy movie like TDK that he thinks is also kid friendly. you cannot have a heavy movie and keep that amount of Disney quipping comedy and colourful animated cgi tone (already also seen in the Shag Chi Trailer) that so hindered the first 2 GOTG films because Disney wanted them to be for kids at the very core. I don't think this is how Nolan approached his comic films and the hard evidence is just there.
    Hmm... perhaps if we look at the entire quote....

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)]"I'm still shooting [/COLOR]Peacemaker[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)], but I'm starting to work on [/COLOR]Guardians 3[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)]," Gunn told EW last month. "For [/COLOR]Guardians 3[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)], the script has basically been written for a long time. I've been playing with it in little ways over the years, but it's basically stayed the same since three years ago. It's pretty heavy actually. It's a heavier story, so it's an emotional process to go through."[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)]What is apparently less heavy is The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, which Gunn is also overseeing before its premiere on Disney+ in December 2022.
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)]"Oh, that's easy. That's a blast," said Gunn. "I wrote that a couple of months ago, and I'm really, really happy with it. I'm going to shoot that at the same time as [/COLOR]Guardians 3[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)]. So we're using some of the same sets. I think it's going to be a good holiday special."[/COLOR]

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Here's a video for the serious art student to study https://youtu.be/801sR_U1Xkw

I dislike Ragnarok because it broke with the character of the films it was based on, like Tom Hanks' Dragnet (although I found that one OK, probably because I never watched the original).

As for Snyder, all that really needs to be said is that he is never likely to get a major superhero movie again, and the future of the genre looks much brighter for that.

And the Snyder Cut can only be compared to LOTR as an example of how not to do LOTR,
    Here is a counter film video of TDK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJXW...adigmUnshifted

the question now is how much pro videos and write ups can I find on my side. chances are 75% out of 100%. I can also assure you that you will find rare videos and write up support of the argument that TDK is as kid friendly as MCU films, or weirder, as cooperate made as MCU films because I know for sure, Nolan got a good say in every part of the film.

Ragnarok is one of the most not-requested kid friendly recent comic films in recent years. There was someone I think Scott Taylor that said on another thread that this newer marvel films have more in common than Batman and Robin and I agree. the only difference is, we are not forced to pretend the kid friendly nature of batman and robin represented something new or great in the genre that was not even really telling kid friendly stories in comics after World War 2,, The Civil Right movements and post 90s cartoons.

The Snyder Cut should actually even get more praise because it hard a bigger feat to climb than LOTR. Which was to make a comic book movie feel more like a high fantasy film and Snyder achieved that for the most part. Honestly Marvel should be aspiring to make more films like the Snyder Cut, Marvel has gotten inspiration of DC before with Richard Donner's Superman and they sort of were already getting there with Tnor 1 and the high fantasy approach. they should go back to that.

Dark Knight actually was kid-friendly, and was not well done. The editing alone was notoriously atrocious. The others you mention are based on material that was never kid-friendly to begin with, which puts them in a different genre than MCU and what it's based on.
    Will have to disagree with you. The Dark Knight is still very beloved, and was considered quite dark for superhero films at the time and helped start the push for all these movies going PG13. And Deadpool has had plenty of kid-friendly comic appearances, and Logan is from kid friendly X-Men and spun out of the kid friendly earlier movies.

I find it funny on a thread called the age of marvel movies, we are arguing if and what for and against superhero movies are for kids. let me give a hint that even at marvel, this stuff is not as simple as some are making it look, where everything can be tied together.
    I'm not arguing for or against superhero films for kids. Just pointing out that superhero films for adults are just as meaningful and have their place as well.

James Gunn said recently that GOTG 3 will be heavier in story than the first 2 films. Wonder why he would say that, I am thinking because he knows and sees the writings is on the wall, also it may be that he has now done another comic film (Suicide Squad 2) and for the first time as a comic book director, worked without any restrictions, even to the point that he got the movie to be R
    While not from a comic book, he did make an R rated superhero film before, Super. It's one of my personal favorites.

BANNED

Here is a counter film video of TDK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJXW...adigmUnshifted

the question now is how much pro videos and write ups can I find on my side. chances are 75% out of 100%.
    As a serious film student, the question you should be asking is which point of view is the more accurate. You seem to be answering that question based more on your preferences than through a knowledge of filmmaking. Myself, for instance....I was rather engaged in the scene, even while I understood its fundamental flaws, sometimes I like bad stuff.

I can also assure you that you will find rare videos and write up support of the argument that TDK is as kid friendly as MCU films, or weirder, as cooperate made as MCU films because I know for sure, Nolan got a good say in every part of the film.
    I am sure that also explains why Patty Jenkins used exactly the same awful color pallette in WW as MoS and BvS. Something no self- respecting artist would do

Wait, you didn't like Lord of the Rings? Thought everyone loved those films. They were so huge and epic and seeing them as a teen rocked my world!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Wait, you didn't like Lord of the Rings? Thought everyone loved those films. They were so huge and epic and seeing them as a teen rocked my world!
    I loved those films and still watch them several times a year.

I loved those films and still watch them several times a year.
    Oh, I think it was just the wording of your sentence that tripped me up. Saw "LOTR as an example of how not to do LOTR," and got confused (kind of multitasking a lot right now so reading comprehension is down).

BANNED

As a serious film student, the question you should be asking is which point of view is the more accurate. You seem to be answering that question based more on your preferences than through a knowledge of filmmaking. Myself, for instance....I was rather engaged in the scene, even while I understood its fundamental flaws, sometimes I like bad stuff.

I am sure that also explains why Patty Jenkins used exactly the same awful color pallette in WW as MoS and BvS. Something no self- respecting artist would do
    I would like to think my point was more accurate than not. I did first backed it up with my own words and not the words of others. Also I find it funny you are saying I am answering question based on my preferences, I am thinking that was more you than me, because as I have argued my preferences based on the common shared norm of films and the art of cinema. which is.

1. it is important directors actually make their own movies and not let the studios dictate the entire movies for them, This is a belief shared by most and if not all real directors, even if many times circumstances may not allow it. Sam Raimi in Spiderman 3 is proof.

2. movies grow and that includes how to tell stories. comic movies have shifted more from kid friendly stories to less kid friendly stories , for the better. again this may be my pretences but they are also based on common thoughts and values shared by comic book writers, drawers, animators and directors in a span of almost 60 years now, in fact I get most of my preferences from them because I agree with their sound logic. if you think this are just personal preferences not backed up by any real credibility , we can go back to the basis of comics itself.

why did writers like Chris Claremont, Frank Miller, Grant Morrsion, John Bryne, Stan Lee Allen Moore get so famous way back then. it was rare that comic writers were household names? Also why was there a shift in the comic movies and the kid friendly debate after batman and robin failed 1997. already discussed here on this forum.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...was-made/page2

if you think my one and only reason are just based own personal preferences and not any serious critical thinking thought shared by other directors and writers and even fans , who have been watching these movies since the 80s. you would be wrong about me and my POV.

Lastly Wonder Woman actually has great color pallete for a comic film since I can see beyond the studio selling toys. that is why I am calling in great. It is also not, over colourful dour or bland, again a very strong criticism of MCU films as seen recently in the Eternals trailer. As for Patty, maybe we should focus more on when she said this about her time with Marvel
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/holly...3EELfDPnK.html
    Marvel wants full control’: Patty Jenkins reveals why she dropped out of directing Thor 2

This is factually almost the same story the once opted director of black widow (Lucrecia Martel )said and why she dropped out of directing black widow. You cannot make this things up or say, it is my own preferences and there is no reason for Martel or Patty to lie either. This is not just good for these directors and If marvel keeps going down this part. the age of marvel will also be over in box office, because that is what is still holding their movies together. Not any real strong film making approach and that is what great movies on serious film making level are uniquely about.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-24-2021 at 05:40 PM.

BANNED

Back to the original subject, my basic issue I think with the MCU future is that I don't know what it, or any part of it, is about. I don't know what Shang Chi is about, I don't know what Eternals is about, I don't know what Doctor Strange is about, but there is an expectation that I will be excited about all of these projects. Guess what? I'm not. Maybe this will change when they give me trailers that are more than set pieces, but for now I'm me.

TBH, now that Snyder is out of the picture, the DCU seems to have more potential than the MCU

BANNED

Oh, I think it was just the wording of your sentence that tripped me up. Saw "LOTR as an example of how not to do LOTR," and got confused (kind of multitasking a lot right now so reading comprehension is down).
    What Snyder did with the Cut was a great achievement for high fantasy based comic book films, and with that comes also another territory, many may not be happy that Snyder achieved something marvel (the supposedly rival side) cannot achieve. Marvel has yet to make a convincing high fantasy comic book films that does not look like a cgi animated video game, where the kid's tone factor will get the first space. I say this also because the Snyder Cut did not even need to be R Rated.

once upon a time there was a thread about the Snyder Cut vs Endgame and IW. it was a good thread, although I felt there was not enough artistic argument on the marvel side because MCU had already mapped out those movies before the russos directed them and they do have to stick to many of their formula tropes. however I decided to see what the debate was like beyond this forum.

I went on quora, reddit to name a few. those that heavily leaned towards the Snyder cut said the advantage the Snyder cut had was that is was a purely more art house directed film made by a film maker, who had an idea that was his and his alone, compared to the over cooperateness of Endgame/IW.

Fortunately the language of film can be very small especially when somethings are just obvious. The doors the Snyder Cut has opened for DC, had this been a DC thread on if their age will be over. I think their age is just beginning again, because DC is just going to keep giving directors more freedom to do their own thing while MCU keeps taking it away.

I mean... is it even an argument now to say, Snyder should have just have his JL movie in 2016, instead of the Joss Whedon film?
    Last edited by Castle; 07-26-2021 at 01:03 AM.

I went on quora, reddit to name a few. those that heavily leaned towards the Snyder cut said the advantage the Snyder cut had was that is was a purely more art house directed film made by a film maker, who had an idea that was his and his alone, compared to the over cooperateness of Endgame/IW.
    So, basically you cherry-picked the responses that agreed with you and used it to validate your opinion, as if random people on other sites are somehow the definitive say on the matter.

I mean... is it even an argument now to say, Snyder should have just have his JL movie in 2016, instead of the Joss Whedon film?
    Well, considering both movies were bad, that's more of a question of "would you like to be shot in the foot or the hand?"
    Last edited by Noodle; 07-24-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Well, considering both movies were bad, that's more of a question of "would you like to be shot in the foot or the hand?"
    Foot. If you lose your foot you can get a prosthetic that works pretty good. Because of soldiers losing feet/legs to IEDs for 20 years in the middle east prosthetic legs and feet have come along much, much further than prosthetic hands. Today's prosthetic hands are less like Winter Soldier's robo-arm from the MCU and more like the hooked hand of some b horror movie psychopath.

Foot. If you lose your foot you can get a prosthetic that works pretty good. Because of soldiers losing feet/legs to IEDs for 20 years in the middle east prosthetic legs and feet have come along much, much further than prosthetic hands. Today's prosthetic hands are less like Winter Soldier's robo-arm from the MCU and more like the hooked hand of some b horror movie psychopath.
    I stand corrected, although if we want to go into the realm of pure semantics, being shot in the foot or hand doesn't necessarily mean you'll loose that foot or hand depending on the severity of the wound.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans