Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

I thought it was pretty obvious they're building to a Multiversal threat with Kang and a Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers threat with Val.

And it's funny how revisionist history works. The MCU didn't start out with sure-fire, beloved characters. They built them up over time, which is exactly what they can (and likely will) do now. The idea that the MCU "needs" Ironman or Steve to succeed is crazy since they made the audience fall in love with them to begin with. It doesn't matter how unknown Shang-chi is to the general public. They aren't like comic fans and are used to discovering new heroes to connect with. The vast majority of beloved movie franchises started with completely unknown characters.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    That is definitely a tough act to follow. Avengers Initiative guaranteed more superheroes in a single universe, and Thanos guaranteed a specific storyline. Even if you didn't know the story, you soon got the hype from it from other excited fans of the movie.

I don't know who the Countess is. I assume it's a Black Widow thing. That is fine and good for future Black Widow films, but nothing really beyond that. Like trying to position Whiplash as the next Big Bad for a lot of heroes at once.
    The Countess has appeared in Black Widow and Captain America and the Winter Soldier. It sure seems like she is positioned to be connective tissue for the next age of Marvel movies, and if there's another story planned Marvel hasn't established any yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I thought it was pretty obvious they're building to a Multiversal threat with Kang and a Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers threat with Val.

And it's funny how revisionist history works. The MCU didn't start out with sure-fire, beloved characters. They built them up over time, which is exactly what they can (and likely will) do now. The idea that the MCU "needs" Ironman or Steve to succeed is crazy since they made the audience fall in love with them to begin with. It doesn't matter how unknown Shang-chi is to the general public. They aren't like comic fans and are used to discovering new heroes to connect with. The vast majority of beloved movie franchises started with completely unknown characters.
    I am not aware that Kang has been mentioned yet, and a multiversal threat would seem to be the plot of the next Doctor Strange movie, rather than the culmination of 10 years of buildup.

It is certainly possible that Shang will make the audience fall in love with him. It's silly to say that he goes into it with the same name recognition as Iron Man or Captain America.

I am not aware that Kang has been mentioned yet, and a multiversal threat would seem to be the plot of the next Doctor Strange movie, rather than the culmination of 10 years of buildup.

It is certainly possible that Shang will make the audience fall in love with him. It's silly to say that he goes into it with the same name recognition as Iron Man or Captain America.
    Did you not see the Loki series? Also, Kang was already announced to be in Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantummania.

And they don't need to take 10 years to build up another threat. Part of the reason it took that long is because they were also world building at the same time. The universe is established now, so they don't need to do as much "heavy lifting."

I wasn't implying he had the same name recognition but, as the DCEU has proven, that doesn't really mean anything. It's all about the execution. Look at GOTG.

BANNED

Did you not see the Loki series? Also, Kang was already announced to be in Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantummania.

And they don't need to take 10 years to build up another threat. Part of the reason it took that long is because they were also world building at the same time. The universe is established now, so they don't need to do as much "heavy lifting."

I wasn't implying he had the same name recognition but, as the DCEU has proven, that doesn't really mean anything. It's all about the execution. Look at GOTG.
    I'm sad to say I did watch Loki. Kang was not mentioned. General audience had no idea who Kang is or that he is probably going to be in the MCU at all. Also, I don't see a villain introduced in a solo film, let alone a Disney + series as an afterthought, to be a franchise-level villain.

They need 10 years because that's potential long term money. The story has nothing to do with it.

I'm sad to say I did watch Loki. Kang was not mentioned. General audience had no idea who Kang is or that he is probably going to be in the MCU at all. Also, I don't see a villain introduced in a solo film, let alone a Disney + series as an afterthought, to be a franchise-level villain.

They need 10 years because that's potential long term money. The story has nothing to do with it.
    The GA doesn't need to know him yet. They didn't know who Thanos was at the end of Avengers, either. The point was they're clearly building towards him.

And they don't need to take 10 years to develop a single story, is what I'm saying. That doesn't mean they don't have any long-term plans.

BANNED

The GA doesn't need to know him yet. They didn't know who Thanos was at the end of Avengers, either. The point was they're clearly building towards him.

And they don't need to take 10 years to develop a single story, is what I'm saying. That doesn't mean they don't have any long-term plans.
    Anyone with even casual interest in The Avengers quickly understood who the guy at the end was, and what he said meant. And those with casual interest were millions.

And yeah, long term plans and a single over-arching story is a long term plan

Anyone with even casual interest in The Avengers quickly understood who the guy at the end was, and what he said meant. And those with casual interest were millions.

And yeah, long term plans and a single over-arching story is a long term plan
    Dude, you're moving goalposts. First you were talking about the general audience and now you're talking about people with interest in the Avengers. The GA doesn't have a "general interest" in the Avengers and they had no clue who Thanos was.

"Long term plans" don't have to focus on a single story arc. They could have 4 seperate storylines planned over the next 15 years and it would still be a "long term plan."

BANNED

Dude, you're moving goalposts. First you were talking about the general audience and now you're talking about people with interest in the Avengers. The GA doesn't have a "general interest" in the Avengers and they had no clue who Thanos was.

"Long term plans" don't have to focus on a single story arc. They could have 4 seperate storylines planned over the next 15 years and it would still be a "long term plan."
    I mentioned casual interest and that certainly applies to the general audience of The Avengers. I agree they had no clue who Thanos was the first time they saw the movie, but they had a broad idea who he was within a couple of weeks seeing the movie,

Four storylines could be planned, but that would not generate the revenue of a single 10 year story. So it seems quite unlikely.

I mentioned casual interest and that certainly applies to the general audience of The Avengers. I agree they had no clue who Thanos was the first time they saw the movie, but they had a broad idea who he was within a couple of weeks seeing the movie,

Four storylines could be planned, but that would not generate the revenue of a single 10 year story. So it seems quite unlikely.
    They knew who he was because they looked him up and comic fans/articles talked about him, sure. But that's not what you were arguing initially. And it also means they can do the same for Kang.

You have absolutely no clue if that could be the case or not. Again, it's all about the execution.

BANNED

They knew who he was because they looked him up and comic fans/articles talked about him, sure. But that's not what you were arguing initially. And it also means they can do the same for Kang.

You have absolutely no clue if that could be the case or not. Again, it's all about the execution.
    Actually, that is what I was stating at first. And yeah, people can look up Kang once he's introduced and find out more about him, but he doesn't have the presence or the consistency historically for that to be of much use.

Actually, that is what I was stating at first. And yeah, people can look up Kang once he's introduced and find out more about him, but he doesn't have the presence or the consistency historically for that to be of much use.
    What does "consistency" have to do with anything? They only used one of Thanos' storylines. And what relevant he has in comics is irrelevant to the film versions popularity. We're now back to the idea that name recognition is meaningless.

BANNED

What does "consistency" have to do with anything? They only used one of Thanos' storylines. And what relevant he has in comics is irrelevant to the film versions popularity. We're now back to the idea that name recognition is meaningless.
    When I google Thanos I get results that broadly show me what I saw at the end of The Avengers and all the way through Endgame. When I google Dr Doom I get something decidedly different than what I saw in the Fantastic Four movies, even though one of them did a story from the comics. When I google Kang I get nothing remotely similar to that caricature that I saw in Loki.

When I google Thanos I get results that broadly show me what I saw at the end of The Avengers and all the way through Endgame. When I google Dr Doom I get something decidedly different than what I saw in the Fantastic Four movies, even though one of them did a story from the comics. When I google Kang I get nothing remotely similar to that caricature that I saw in Loki.
    And that version explicitly says he's not THE definitive version, so...

BANNED

And that version explicitly says he's not THE definitive version, so...
    I'm not sure which "he" you're talking about.