Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Everyone can have their own opinion and I respect it. But there is no indication that the Marvel age of movies is anywhere close to be done. Black Widow has good reviews, the movie is probably going to be the biggest box office hit until the next Marvel Movie comes out and they have had three of the most watched shows on streaming tv this year.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

If anything, it's growing and has only gotten better more recently.

But I cannot stand the Netflix shows. They were so small-time for me. They nearly ruin the MCU, just by association. Iron Fist, in particular, ranks near the bottom. Jessica Jones, one of the better ones, was made horrible by the end.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-11-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Wandavision was a fresh air for the MCU even if it may not have been on par with similar shows you find outside of the Disney bubble.

Also I feel thread like this are sort of too late kind off. it belongs more in a phase 1 because what I have noticed the marvel films from their first era, was their best in movie quality and film making.

I don't think marvel can change anymore, after watching black widow,they have a formula and they stick to it. MCU is very similar to the Twilight franchise, It does not matter the artistic quality of these films. they have a fan base that will always show up and bring in the money. Not even Star Wars, Harry Potter or the Marvel from Sony and fox had this advantage or even fast and furious domestic box office. So no I don't feel the age of their movies are over if the primary goal is to make money.

However if you are looking for the next Into the Spiderverse or Logan, highly unlikely you will ever find it in these age of marvel films just from watching Black Widow , it is even going to be a miracle if MCU can go back to their style of Iron Man 1.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-11-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Wandavision was a fresh air for the MCU even if it may not have been on par with similar shows you find outside of the Disney bubble.
    For reference, what are we comparing it to?

Also I feel thread like this are sort of too late kind off. it belongs more in a phase 1 because what I have noticed the marvel films from their first era, was their best in movie quality and film making.
    I don't follow that logic (about it being too late and what that has to do with the quality -- good or bad -- of Phase One).

I don't think marvel can change anymore, after watching black widow,they have a formula and they stick to it.
    Once again, there is no MCU formula. We need to move past this. If your point is that you think it's too similar to other offerings, it might help the discussion note the specific points, since saying they're just following a mythical formula is a fancy way of just saying "they're all the same" without any elaboration, which tells us nothing.

MCU is very similar to the Twilight franchise, It does not matter the artistic quality of these films. they have a fan base that will always show up and bring in the money. Not even Star Wars, Harry Potter or the Marvel from Sony and fox had this advantage or even fast and furious domestic box office. So no I don't the age of their movies are over if the primary goal is to make money.
    Everything waxes and wanes; Marvel Studios just hasn't hit their wane yet. I mean, there was a time when Pixar and the the Transformers movies were too big to fail and we know how that turned out. I think it'll be interesting to see how the next batch of movies go, since a lot of fan favorites from the Infinity Saga have been retired and we're getting a lot of unproven franchises coming up. Marvel Studios has proven that they can make superstars out of stuff like that (e.g. Black Widow's supporting cast), but it's always a gamble.

However if you are looking for the next Into the Spiderverse or Logan, highly unlikely you will ever find it in these age of marvel films just from watching Black Widow , it is even going to be a miracle if MCU can go back to their style of Iron Man 1.
    They have arguably done better since Iron Man (and worse, too, but that's par for the course).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Everything waxes and wanes; Marvel Studios just hasn't hit their wane yet. I mean, there was a time when Pixar and the the Transformers movies were too big to fail and we know how that turned out. I think it'll be interesting to see how the next batch of movies go, since a lot of fan favorites from the Infinity Saga have been retired and we're getting a lot of unproven franchises coming up. Marvel Studios has proven that they can make superstars out of stuff like that (e.g. Black Widow's supporting cast), but it's always a gamble.

I dont follow them very close but what Pixar films haven't don't well?

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I dont follow them very close but what Pixar films haven't don't well?
    Cars 2 got a negative reception and there was that stretch of movies that were seen as being a bit below their standards (like Brave and Monsters University). Good Dinosaur suffered from its troubled production and Onward didn't do so hot at the box office, partially because of the pandemic, but there were plenty of reviews making the case that it was a lesser achievement (I think it was better than that, but still).

The point I was making to friend Castle is that just because the movies he doesn't like are doing well, that doesn't mean that the studio can sell anything. If Marvel keeps making movies, they will have ones that just don't work and won't be hits (basic statistics). The other point is that even if Marvel was making mediocre stuff now, they do have the room to turn that around.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I get your point lurker, and Cars 2 is my least favorite Cars movie, but it was the most successful. Pixar was the victim of it's own success, it would be impossible to turn out movie after movie that were as good as their best films. Still I can't recall not liking any of their movies and the last couple were very enjoyable. And they are still a powerhouse and the industry standard.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Cars 2 got a negative reception and there was that stretch of movies that were seen as being a bit below their standards (like Brave and Monsters University). Good Dinosaur suffered from its troubled production and Onward didn't do so hot at the box office, partially because of the pandemic, but there were plenty of reviews making the case that it was a lesser achievement (I think it was better than that, but still).

The point I was making to friend Castle is that just because the movies he doesn't like are doing well, that doesn't mean that the studio can sell anything. If Marvel keeps making movies, they will have ones that just don't work and won't be hits (basic statistics). The other point is that even if Marvel was making mediocre stuff now, they do have the room to turn that around.

Yea eventually Marvel will mess up. But honestly looking at these Black Widow numbers now isn't it. I mean 215 million in 3 days and 60 million of that streaming? Holy Odin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I get your point lurker, and Cars 2 is my least favorite Cars movie, but it was the most successful. Pixar was the victim of it's own success, it would be impossible to turn out movie after movie that were as good as their best films. Still I can't recall not liking any of their movies and the last couple were very enjoyable. And they are still a powerhouse and the industry standard.
    For sure. Personally, I didn't like Good Dinosaur very much and I do have to say that Coco didn't really click with me that much (not sure why, since it was really good), but yeah; even their lesser stuff is still above average.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea eventually Marvel will mess up. But honestly looking at these Black Widow numbers now isn't it. I mean 215 million in 3 days and 60 million of that streaming? Holy Odin.
    Yeah, I think Marvel Studios is currently at the top of their game, and certainly showing no signs of slowing down yet.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    For reference, what are we comparing it to?
    X-Files, Twin Peaks, Legion, Fringe, The Twilight Zone, Buffy. Just the few I can remember from the top of my head.

Also no point in really gaslighting this topic that much again as I feel some hard core subjective MCU fans would never accept their films have a formula, however I dont think it is not that obvious anymore what MCU can and cant do, if anything Black Widow has only reinforced what the formula is, how it relates to the OP question of it been over by box office, I will disagree but filmmaking? I agree. The recent MCU film Black Widow does not really take you to any new age of movies does it?

The recent MCU film Black Widow does not really take you to any new age of movies does it?
    Why does it have to? Why does a movie have to be groundbreaking to be good?

Not every film is going to change the cinematic world.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Black Widow made a ton of money.

The shows seem to be critical and commercial hits for Disney Plus. At the moment Marvel's going full steam ahead, even if some of us might not like the new stuff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

How many Marvel films were really groundbreaking?

Iron Man had a gruffer cockier superhero than we're used to.

The Avengers was the first big superhero team-up in movies.

Black Panther is the biggest afrofuturism film ever.

Avengers Endgame tied up stories that had been going on in 20+ films running for a decade.

Most Marvel films aren't all that groundbreaking, even if they are good.

To be entirely fair, most movies aren't groundbreaking. And many are good.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    For me, personally? Nope.

For the general public/audience? Again, nope.
    Simply put, same for me and I think moreso on the second point.

What really hurts the Netflix shows are that meandering middle, so to me the Disney shows are better paced. And the hideous execution of Iron Fist still leaves an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth even after all these years (if the big crossover series [the Defenders] takes the time to make fun of your show, you know it's bad).

With that said, I do enjoy that the Disney shows are getting the same kind of critical praise as the first seasons of Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. And I really hope that they return in some, much more integrated, fashion (I know Krysten Ritter said no to returning, but never say never).
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-12-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

Black Widow is groundbreaking in that I have never seen a heroine in a superhero movie take so much abuse. Her and Yelena were constantly getting the $&%# beat out of them when they weren’t beating up the bad guys themselves.

Bravo for not pulling any punches just because they were women.