Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    The Delta Variant is transmitted to and by vaccinated people, so it's hard to see how that would help.
    Yea but it generally doesnt kill them. And the transmission is less likely. That being said you are probably right I don't know if that would help or not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea but it generally doesnt kill them. And the transmission is less likely. That being said you are probably right I don't know if that would help or not.
    Yes, a pitch of "Come to our theater! You'll only get sick, not die " is probably not a winner.

Astonishing Member

Yes, a pitch of "Come to our theater! You'll only get sick, not die " is probably not a winner.

LOL yea your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    If Shang CHI flops. the focus will shift to other things. it just has to.
    We don't know if it will flop yet (and remember, there is a difference between what we think is a flop and what's a true flop). Maybe Marvel Studios will adjust things if the movie underperforms in some capacity, but, as we've seen before, they adjust things without starting over from scratch (one of the perks of having a mega-film series made from self-contained building blocks). Long story short, even if Shang-Chi was a "flop," don't expect Marvel Studios to start copying the Zack Snyder formula or anything.

Phase 4 has been talked about here before about how dull it looks.
    From, what, trailers for two movies? That's a pretty small sampling (and, anyways, the movies being good matters a lot more than the trailers knocking people's socks off).

The Shang CHI trailers has not necessarily blown many away. it just looks like rinse and repeat, now had there been no COVID and the movie made 100 million opening weekend, rightfully the headlines will be different and very positive but Shang CHI unlike Captain Marvel, a movie that so far from the trailers, looks copy and paste in some scenes like the train scenes.
    Maybe not. Course, did Guardians of the Galaxy blow people away when their first trailer dropped? Not sure what Captain Marvel has to do with anything, though. The marketing has been pointing to them being different kinds of movies and all that.

The movie (captain marvel) was the most manufactured produced marvel has ever gotten up till point.
    I think Iron Man 2 would be their most manufactured film to date.

especially for marvel that was so keen on answering DC' Wonder Woman, however unlike Wonder Woman that had Patty Jenkins directing vision primary mapping her movie, captain marvel had nothing to show in that area...
    umm, good casting, some interesting reveals, a point to things beyond the smash up. I think I'd agree that Wonder Woman was better in general, but Captain Marvel was, at worst, solid. Easily the best of the Phase One-style MCU origin stories in terms of the plot staying on track with pacing and having the themes story arcs synced with everything going on.

...and it still made 1.1 billion, which was enough to make people focus on that and not the film making quality aspect of the film.
    And yet a quick Google search shows most of the conversation had nothing to do with the box office, but whether the movie was good or not. (Sadly, a lot of the latter is just disguised misogyny, going by how viciously Brie Larson was attacked for standing up for herself, but what else would you expect online?)

I am predicting that Shang CHI does not look as if it will be that lucky if it turns put to be just another MCU film like Black Widow or Far From Home.
    Maybe?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

If Shang Chi does flop, will it be because it's a bad movie? If it's as bad a movie as Captain Marvel that will be a pretty high success, and evidence that it isn't a bad movie, but a great one. If it fails, is that evidence that it's a bad movie? Again, depends on the circumstances. If COVID is a thing of the past by November, then it's a good indication that the public is tired of the movies Marvel produces. If the Delta Variant is as devastating as science says it might be, then no conclusive assumptions can be drawn about the film's quality based on box office performance.
    A movie's quality is never determined by its box office success. Right now we have a perfect example for that with The Suicide Squad.

And if Shang-Chi "bombs" it would only be an indicator that this particular movie didn't catch the interest of the public and not for general Marvel fatigue. It's happened before, Doctor Strange and especially Ant-Man had pretty low numbers compared to other MCU films and Shang-Chi is very similar to these movies because like Ant-Man and Strange he will be introduced in his movie without appearing, or at least getting teased, in a prior installment. BP was also a success because audiences have seen him in Civil War, CM was a success because she was teased in Infinity War and Marvel's marketing made every one believe her movie would be substantial for Endgame. Shang-Chi has none of that and so it was always expected to be on the lower end of what MCU movies do at the box office.

If the next Spider-Man flopped then you'd have more of a case.

The vaccination protects against severe disease. If a fully vaccinated person who is under 60 years old and without pre-existing illness still doesn't want to leave their homes out of fear, then they should stay at home for the rest of their lives even when covid is gone because they could always catch another infectious disease. For the group I just described covid isn't more dangerous than the flu.

When you look at a country like the UK you can see that it has a high number of delta variant cases right now but hospitalizations are low because the percentage of vaccinated people in the UK is pretty high.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    If a fully vaccinated person who is under 60 years old and without pre-existing illness still doesn't want to leave their homes out of fear, then they should stay at home for the rest of their lives even when covid is gone because they could always catch another infectious disease. For the group I just described covid isn't more dangerous than the flu.
    So vaccinated people shouldn't take into account they could transmit a deadly virus to unvaccinated people if they go to a public space? That seems inconsiderate.

So vaccinated people shouldn't take into account they could transmit a deadly virus to unvaccinated people if they go to a public space? That seems inconsiderate.
    Why should it be their job to protect people who could easily protect themselves by getting vaccinated? The minuscule number of people who can't get vaccinated can be ignored here.

So if 50% of a country's population refuse to get vaccinated you plead that the lockdown should continue to the eternity and vaccinated people should never lead normal lives again?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Why should it be their job to protect people who could easily protect themselves by getting vaccinated? The minuscule number of people who can't get vaccinated can be ignored here.

So if 50% of a country's population refuse to get vaccinated you plead that the lockdown should continue to the eternity and vaccinated people should never lead normal lives again?
    Clearly you don't live in a region that believes the vaccine is a conspiracy for mind control or something. I personally still want those people to not get COVID. Again I say, that seems inconsiderate.

Astonishing Member

Clearly you don't live in a region that believes the vaccine is a conspiracy for mind control or something. I personally still want those people to not get COVID. Again I say, that seems inconsiderate.

I mean when this debate happens it gets into the territory of what someone thinks should happen and whats actually happening. All that matters is whats actually happening. And thats people are not going to theaters. I mean the internet right now is cheering 26.4 million for Free Guy for the weekend. Thats where we are right now. The thing is in 4100 theaters and made 26.4 million dollars. Its budgeted at 100 to 125 million dollars that we know of. People are not going to the theater.

I don't see how the vaccinated people are the inconsiderate ones here. And considering that the audiences of movie theatres are mainly people under the age of 40, an age group that in many cases isn't severely affected by covid, your concerns seem a bit exaggerated.

Actually people getting covid and being immune to it afterwards is the only way to end the pandemic in societies where not enough people want to get vaccinated. If half the people are vaccinated and the rest formed antibodies against it then covid becomes endemic.

BANNED

I don't see how the vaccinated people are the inconsiderate ones here. And considering that the audiences of movie theatres are mainly people under the age of 40, an age group that in many cases isn't severely affected by covid, your concerns seem a bit exaggerated.

Actually people getting covid and being immune to it afterwards is the only way to end the pandemic in societies where not enough people want to get vaccinated. If half the people are vaccinated and the rest formed antibodies against it then covid becomes endemic.
    Well... you've certainly lived up to your nick.

Well... you've certainly lived up to your nick.
    Just talking about scientific theories on how the pandemic might evolve. The other option is to lock people in their homes for years which seems to be your preference.

BANNED

Just talking about scientific theories on how the pandemic might evolve. The other option is to lock people in their homes for years which seems to be your preference.
    Neither of those propositions is accurate.

Neither of those propositions is accurate.
    Oh it is but I already got the feeling that you are talking about something that you haven't really informed yourself about. If you want to start now try this: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...e-coronavirus/

Pandemics always end, one way or another, say experts. In the past, viruses that caused pandemics have become endemic—meaning that they continue to circulate but, as people’s immune systems learn how to fend off the deadliest infections, they cause mostly milder illness. Marc Lipsitch, professor of epidemiology and director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, said he thinks that the most likely scenario with the coronavirus is that “almost everybody has some form of immunity from natural infection and/or vaccination and/or one followed by the other, and that that will persist long enough so that they don’t get really sick when they get it again. And then we transition to endemicity.

The bolded part is basically what I wrote.

BANNED

Oh it is but I already got the feeling that you are talking about something that you haven't really informed yourself about. If you want to start now try this: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...e-coronavirus/

Pandemics always end, one way or another, say experts. In the past, viruses that caused pandemics have become endemic—meaning that they continue to circulate but, as people’s immune systems learn how to fend off the deadliest infections, they cause mostly milder illness. Marc Lipsitch, professor of epidemiology and director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, said he thinks that the most likely scenario with the coronavirus is that “almost everybody has some form of immunity from natural infection and/or vaccination and/or one followed by the other, and that that will persist long enough so that they don’t get really sick when they get it again. And then we transition to endemicity.

The bolded part is basically what I wrote.
    I wonder if you can spot the problem with this quote (hint: it's nothing you bolded)