Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Can we leave the anti-vaxxing tangent and stay on topic?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Can we leave the anti-vaxxing tangent and stay on topic?
    That's a tangent and not on topic? No thread ever goes on a tangent anyway.

Yes i would say there done, but the mouse must be fed and therefore the MCU will not be done for a while and frankly i only want to see Spider-man then wait for F4 and X-men...maybe Doc Strange 2.

But as for Eternals and Shang Chi? Not really sold on them...honestly i felt Black Widow was not worth my time in comparison to Suicide Squad which i was more entertained by, not because it was bad but because it should have happened after CW and before Endgame, NOT AFTER ENDGAME WHERE SHE DIES AND IS STILL DEAD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    not because it was bad but because it should have happened after CW and before Endgame, NOT AFTER ENDGAME WHERE SHE DIES AND IS STILL DEAD!!!
    Why is it so hard for people to grasp prequels anymore? I'm so tired of the "the movie sucked because she's dead" argument. Did you completely write off the Hobbit movies or the Star Wars prequels? Spoiler alert: Bilbo and Vader were going to survive them. Must mean those movies were automatically bad!
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Why is it so hard for people to grasp prequels anymore? I'm so tired of the "the movie sucked because she's dead" argument. Did you completely write off the Hobbit movies or the Star Wars prequels? Spoiler alert: Bilbo and Vader were going to survive them. Must mean those movies were automatically bad!
    I don't think and feel the same way you do about this movie or those movies, i understand the concept of prequels just fine...but i also understand a good one from a bad one. If you think they did good and entertained you? Cool. But i do not share that thought process, why that should displease you or affect does confuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I think the difference might be in the nature of the shared cinematic universe idea. Prequels to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings don't have to provide new "connections", they don't have to contribute to future movies. They're not shared universes (although Disney did try to spin Star Wars into such). But Black Widow is part of the MCU, if her film doesn't contribute to the next big team up film? Then to a lot of MCU fans, it sucks. Not fair, but I think that's the reasoning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think the difference might be in the nature of the shared cinematic universe idea. Prequels to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings don't have to provide new "connections", they don't have to contribute to future movies. They're not shared universes (although Disney did try to spin Star Wars into such). But Black Widow is part of the MCU, if her film doesn't contribute to the next big team up film? Then to a lot of MCU fans, it sucks. Not fair, but I think that's the reasoning.
    And sadly my dear friend, I feel this has just become the watering down of movies for a generation which has open doors for ignorance. Poor Black Widow, her film does not contribute or set up anything because it is a prequel and the movie will get slammed by some because it did not do that. how sad. Let me just put it best in James Mangold own words.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/163...perhero-movies

''Tentpole movies in general, they are not movies, generally. They are bloated exercises in two-hour trailers for another movie they are going to sell you in two years. There are so many characters that each character gets an arch of about six and a half minutes at best, and I'm not exaggerating. You take 120 minutes, you take 45 of it for action, what are you left with, divide it by six characters, you have the character arc of Elmer Fudd in a Warner Brothers cartoon. That formula is empty for me''.

Mighty Member

Prequels are fine. I don't hate the Star Wars Prequels because they are prequels, I hate them because they are the Star Wars Prequels.
    But on a serious note, you can do a lot with them, expand stories, give People a new setting. I'm reminded with how Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and Metal Gear Solid 3 handled their narratives while being Prequels. TP basically made it an epilogue to the series while being set before the series, but giving some context to the events that transpire in the series while MGS 3 greatly changes the view of its series main antagonist.

In regards to this being the end of the marvel age of movies. Kind of but not really. I think there's an audience for any kind of movie and we seem to in the split of large, action packed juggernauts and smaller, personal stories. I think we just need to expand our movie horizons a bit more. There's a World of Cinema out there, most of which I'll say is better that the MCU movie, but they are popcorn flicks that you can watch whenever. My issue is that the movies aren't really evergreen, you need to have had movies as a background for the context in any given current Marvel Movie, and as we push forward with Disney shows and more movies coming out, it'll be harder to keep track. Even by the time the first Avengers came out I could feel the fatigue, but now it feels like Homework which an action packed movie shouldn't do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I don't think and feel the same way you do about this movie or those movies, i understand the concept of prequels just fine...but i also understand a good one from a bad one. If you think they did good and entertained you? Cool. But i do not share that thought process, why that should displease you or affect does confuse me.
    So far the only thing you've provided that makes Black Widow a bad prequel is that she's already dead in the present.
    Which means very little because it's a prequel.

BANNED

But Black Widow is part of the MCU, if her film doesn't contribute to the next big team up film? Then to a lot of MCU fans, it sucks. Not fair, but I think that's the reasoning.
    It would be more fair if it was true.

Besides the fact that this set up a lot for future movies, including a new heroine and a new evil organization, it also provided back story and details to what we've already seen and many fans appreciate it.

Personally I enjoyed it less than most other Marvel films, mostly because the tone wasn't my cup of tea. But it was a very well done film with an original take on the genre.

It's more fun watching some folks here make themselves look doubly silly by saying it's just another example of the MCU formula

Astonishing Member

I mean if one is a critic of Marvel maybe a fan could say it doesn't set anything up for the future. But it actually does. So to me thats just an excuse by someone who didn't like the film or didn't watch the film.

Anyone claiming the Black Widow film is unnecessary or "bad" because Natasha is dead in the present completely missed the point. The film isn't about Natasha, it's about Yelena. This is her origin film and directly plays into future MCU content.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Anyone claiming the Black Widow film is unnecessary or "bad" because Natasha is dead in the present completely missed the point. The film isn't about Natasha, it's about Yelena. This is her origin film and directly plays into future MCU content.
    Exactly. Like I said its easy to be a critic of the prequel format, but then completely ignore the fact that the film starts the journey of a brand new character.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean if one is a critic of Marvel maybe a fan could say it doesn't set anything up for the future. But it actually does. So to me thats just an excuse by someone who didn't like the film or didn't watch the film.
    In my case I haven't watched the film yet, but I wasn't criticizing the film either - I was making a guess why so many of those who have were whining about it. But maybe it really is just as simple as them being hung up on the character being dead in the present. Which is stupid as far as reasons go.

Astonishing Member

In my case I haven't watched the film yet, but I wasn't criticizing the film either - I was making a guess why so many of those who have were whining about it. But maybe it really is just as simple as them being hung up on the character being dead in the present. Which is stupid as far as reasons go.
    I mean there are people out there who will really find any reason to not like something. I mean the fact that she is dead, doesnt have anything to do with the quality of the film or anything. It introduces a character who is arguably a better character than Natasha in the first place. The whole thing is goofy. Its like someone watching Rouge one and saying well Darth Vader is dead why should I watch this.

Or Heck even the recent Mandalroian final with Luke Skywalker. He's dead, why show him doing something in the past, he's dead
    Last edited by inisideguy; 09-02-2021 at 09:35 AM.