Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    The first 10 years are like Beatles songs - name any one and I can recall it beat for beat.
    Blackbird.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

The next two MCU movies IMO are going to have a tough go at the box office, especially Shang-Chi. It's opening on Labor Day Weekend which is sort of like a dead zone for movies. Don't think it's going to make much money in China if it's even going to open there. It will be interesting to see how brand new content with characters that never appeared onscreen will do on Disney+.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The next two MCU movies IMO are going to have a tough go at the box office, especially Shang-Chi. It's opening on Labor Day Weekend which is sort of like a dead zone for movies. Don't think it's going to make much money in China if it's even going to open there. It will be interesting to see how brand new content with characters that never appeared onscreen will do on Disney+.

Its pretty amazing that after 25 movies there are still people saying the "next marvel movie is going to have a tough go at the box office"

BANNED

The MCU is starting to get a little bloated

BANNED

the day some will stop defining marvel mostly by their box office and lean more on the filmmaking quality would be a great moment for the series. The greatest IMO.

Also I disagree with Shang CHI. I feel the movie will be a big hit. Marvel is never going to have issues with money. Disney is likely getting to a point, where they trust marvel to make money for them than Pixar. They already trust marvel with money, than star wars.

I love the Marvel movies but I wouldn’t mind a break. I’m just burnt out on comic book movies and I really love comic books! My interest is just low. I may watch Black Widow but Shang Chi & the Eternals I’ll catch whenever. No interest at all. I’m sure they’ll do well though.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 07-12-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    X-Files, Twin Peaks, Legion, Fringe, The Twilight Zone, Buffy. Just the few I can remember from the top of my head.
    I see.

Also no point in really gaslighting this topic that much again as I feel some hard core subjective MCU fans would never accept their films have a formula, however I dont think it is not that obvious anymore what MCU can and cant do, if anything Black Widow has only reinforced what the formula is, how it relates to the OP question of it been over by box office, I will disagree but filmmaking? I agree.
    What do you even mean by "formula," anyways?

The recent MCU film Black Widow does not really take you to any new age of movies does it?
    Well, on paper, it shows that they can handle X-Men. Whether they will is remains to be seen.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Simply put, same for me and I think moreso on the second point.

What really hurts the Netflix shows are that meandering middle, so to me the Disney shows are better paced. And the hideous execution of Iron Fist still leaves an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth even after all these years (if the big crossover series [the Defenders] takes the time to make fun of your show, you know it's bad).

With that said, I do enjoy that the Disney shows are getting the same kind of critical praise as the first seasons of Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. And I really hope that they return in some, much more integrated, fashion (I know Krysten Ritter said no to returning, but never say never).
    I know this could be an unpopular opinion but the Netflix formula is kind of wearing thin now. I suspect that’s why most of their newer series don’t do thr 12 episode thing anymore. The Marvel Netflix series had the “Netflix drag” in the middle.

I prefer the format D+ way of storytelling because the pacing is tighter and more concise.

The only Netflix Marvel series I’d rank as highly as the D+ Marvel shows is Daredevil. And I enjoyed Falcon and Winter Soldier as much as I did Daredevil although I’ll concede that Daredevil was better overall.

Ultimate Member

To the OPs point, the Marvel era isn’t over.

Black Widow pretty much cleaned out financially and got good reviews.

For me personally, its definitely not over. There are still stories to tell and so far they maintain their current level of quality there shouldn’t be a problem with them.

That being said, Marvel has already done something that’s never been done before. I don’t ever recall any studio put out this much content and receive praise from both fans and critics and be financially successful at the same time.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i agree they're not super great or what not in terms of story but they're serviceable popcorn flicks with big names, so there'll always be an audience probably

would be cool for an r-rated line of mcu stuff though

Me personally, The MCU ended with Endgame/Far From Home. I am going to be a lot more selective with what I follow from here out, and I will just wikipedia gaps that I have missed.

As far as the shows go, Daredevil is my favorite Marvel character and that series exceeded my expectations. The rest of the Netflix stuff was a mess and I didn't watch. I really could care less about the current offerings on Disney+ as well.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Boisterously Confused

I have no idea of the MCU's best days are behind it; the future sales will let us know. I will say that the MCU faces a headwind in that Phases 1-3 were a breath of fresh air in showing what a multi-franchise could do. We've seen that now, so amazing us with it again will not be as easy, even if they come up with an overriding story, organic to each franchise, that sensibly ties them all together.

If they decide not to go that route, and to treat the future phases as collections of separate franchises, or smaller groups of multi-franchises, well, we'll just have to see how that works.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

What do you even mean by "formula," anyways?
    For the most part, mostly light-hearted action-comedy fast paced comic films that are all produced in the same fashion.

Well, on paper, it shows that they can handle X-Men. Whether they will is remains to be seen.
    On paper, what it shows so far is that they may be able to tell some derivate version of X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    To the OPs point, the Marvel era isn’t over.

Black Widow pretty much cleaned out financially and got good reviews.

For me personally, its definitely not over. There are still stories to tell and so far they maintain their current level of quality there shouldn’t be a problem with them.

That being said, Marvel has already done something that’s never been done before. I don’t ever recall any studio put out this much content and receive praise from both fans and critics and be financially successful at the same time.
    This OP from my chat with him, is a big fan of these movies, but even he feels as if the series needs to move on or movie further from the one thing they do. making money and getting generic good reviews, that does not seem to be enough anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i agree they're not super great or what not in terms of story but they're serviceable popcorn flicks with big names, so there'll always be an audience probably

would be cool for an r-rated line of mcu stuff though
    No I don't think they need an r rated line, if their heart is not in it. As much as I feel they dropped the ball by refusing to make more R rated films even now they have the rights to X-men and Blade, I think it is best they are just honest about it.

it is already hard enough that Deadpool 3 will have the R label even if I don't think, it will be worth it or Marvel will really care enough to market the movie but this is the part Ryan Renyolds is really good at. However, It will be better if they don't pretend they like the fact that they are forced to make more R movies.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-13-2021 at 09:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Me personally, The MCU ended with Endgame/Far From Home. I am going to be a lot more selective with what I follow from here out, and I will just wikipedia gaps that I have missed.

As far as the shows go, Daredevil is my favorite Marvel character and that series exceeded my expectations. The rest of the Netflix stuff was a mess and I didn't watch. I really could care less about the current offerings on Disney+ as well.
    I am not sure how much news you consume out there but Spiderman: No way home is supposed to be the start of something ''different''. If you liked far from home, the least you can do is finish the trilogy and watch No Way Home.

Ultimate Member

For the most part, mostly light-hearted action-comedy fast paced comic films that are all produced in the same fashion.

On paper, what it shows so far is that they may be able to tell some derivate version of X-Men

This OP from my chat with him, is a big fan of these movies, but even he feels as if the series needs to move on or movie further from the one thing they do. making money and getting generic good reviews, that does not seem to be enough anymore.

No I don't think they need an r rated line, if their heart is not in it. As much as I feel they dropped the ball by refusing to make more R rated films even now they have the rights to X-men and Blade, I think it is best they are just honest about it.

it is already hard enough that Deadpool 3 will have the R label even if I don't think, it will be worth it or Marvel will really care enough to market the movie but this is the part Ryan Renyolds is really good at. However, It will be better if they don't pretend they like the fact that they are forced to make more R movies.
    Regarding the bolded, there's literally nothing else to do more than that.

Make your movie that audiences and "critics" love and get awarded for them.

That's pretty much the end of the discussion as far as Disney/Marvel is concerned.