Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I am not sure how much news you consume out there but Spiderman: No way home is supposed to be the start of something ''different''. If you liked far from home, the least you can do is finish the trilogy and watch No Way Home.
    Oh I’m a huge spidey fan and will definitely catch it ( I’m in for Doctor Strange as well)
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Ultimate Member

Aaaand I'm just seeing that Wandavision got a boatload of Emmy nominations.

So yeah, Marvel is doing extremely well for themselves and the fans.

Astonishing Member

I can see a pattern in these threads with certain posters. They just don't like the idea of this franchise being successful. There are always people like this with anything that is to big or to popular. There were people who hated the Beatles in 1967. It just annoys them.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I can see a pattern in these threads with certain posters. They just don't like the idea of this franchise being successful. There are always people like this with anything that is to big or to popular. There were people who hated the Beatles in 1967. It just annoys them.
    Haters gonna hate.

Sounds like the capeshit is dead argument off 4chan. Yet, the new Black Widow did better than F9 despite being "woke".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Sounds like the capeshit is dead argument off 4chan. Yet, the new Black Widow did better than F9 despite being "woke".

I read this one article the other day on this weird right wing comic sight I can't remember the name of it and even if I did I wouldn't link it. But there were like 3 articles basically trying to rationalize why black widow was not somehow successful. It was freaking bizarre.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-13-2021 at 11:30 AM.

BANNED

EHHHH, I don't know how people want to drag the Beatles to a Marvel film thread, I saw someone bring up Blackbird, the song McCartney wrote about the Civil Right movements from the White Album and I must say one of their best ballads but Beatles are without the doubt considered genius musicians. Marvel or even comic book movies? not so much.

The Beatles were never hated as an equivalent of ''Scorsese hates Marvel films.'' Beatles music are considered among the greatest music of all time with the best song writing partnership of Lennon-McCartney. Beatles music are more like Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg and Billy Wilder answer to film making. Their music is insanely highly regarded.

Marvel movies, The only music recent comparison I can give right now is maybe BTS, I cannot even use Miley Cryus or Justin Bieber music, because Bieber and Cyrus at least, have grown up a whole lot with the type of music they make , compared to when both started as a teeny booper with teeny booper music with the Disney safe-friendly image.

Marvel may forever be in the Teeny Booper phase as long as Disney still has so much cooperate power over their movies and the way they feel they need to still use characters like Red Guardian. (no to spoil much about the recent black widow film).
    Last edited by Castle; 07-13-2021 at 11:14 AM.

The Beatles were never hated as an equivalent of ''Scorsese hates Marvel films.'' Beatles music are considered among the greatest music of all time with the best song writing partnership of Lennon-McCartney. Beatles music are more like Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg and Billy Wilder answer to film making. Their music is insanely highly regarded.
    Hindsight is fun.

The Beatles were not universally loved when they were active, nor were they considered groundbreaking when they started. All that came with time. Their earlier stuff aren't even considered as revolutionary now as their later stuff is.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Regarding the bolded, there's literally nothing else to do more than that.

Make your movie that audiences and "critics" love and get awarded for them.

That's pretty much the end of the discussion as far as Disney/Marvel is concerned.
    To be fair, Marvel has not produced anything artistically and in content that pushed the genre to a more older age in the same way Joker, TDK , Spiderverse, Deadpool and Logan have and all this series are also loved by audiences and got awards, many times awards that felt very earned and not because a lot studios can push or buys awards.

This thread is about age, which means growing, When you watch films like Black Widow or see the recent trailers of Eternals and Shang CHI, It does not feel as if Marvel is growing at all. Sony with Spidervere pushed all marvel films to a new age than anything so far and may continue to do so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Hindsight is fun.

The Beatles were not universally loved when they were active, nor were they considered groundbreaking when they started. All that came with time. T.
    This is just not true. I am no Beatles hard core scholar but the Beatles were universally loved and were considered ground-breaking when they first started.

their earlier stuff aren't even considered as revolutionary now as their later stuff is
    Not one point, were Beatles ever seen as mediocre or not revolutionary. The album Rubber Soul does not count among their later stuff but, it was considered a ground breaking album. so ground breaking than The Beach Boys had to try and compete with that by releasing Pet Sounds , another album many times you see on the greatest of all albums list. Not to mention they had the Hard Days Night thing going on before Rubber Soul.

When you think of Beatles and their movie equivalent, it is more about mentioning the best directors and their greatest movies of all time. You are better of comparing Beatles music to the filmography of Spielberg or Tarentino, just even in hard content not any Disney fluffy cooperate stuff, when you think how Beatles were among the least cooperate artists of all time.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-13-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

This is just not true. I am no Beatles hard core scholar but the Beatles were universally loved and were considered ground-breaking when they first started.

Not one point, were Beatles ever seen as mediocre or not revolutionary. The album Rubber Soul does not count among their later stuff but, it was considered a ground breaking album. so ground breaking than The Beach Boys had to try and compete with that by releasing Pet Sounds , another album many times you see on the greatest of all album list. Not to mention they had the Hard Days Night thing going on before Rubber Soul.

When you think of Beatles and their movie equivalent, it is more about mentioning the best directors and their greatest movies of all time. You are better of comparing Beatles music to the filmography of Spielberg or Tarentino, just even in hard content.
    You are wrong.

Watch the James Bond movie Goldfinger. In 1964, the most popular movie hero has dialogue that insults the Beatles.

To be fair, Marvel has not produced anything artistically and in content that pushed the genre to a more older age in the same way Joker, TDK , Spiderverse, Deadpool and Logan have and all this series are also loved by audiences and got awards, many times awards that felt very earned and not because a lot studios can push or buys awards.

This thread is about age, which means growing, When you watch films like Black Widow or see the recent trailers of Eternals and Shang CHI, It does not feel as if Marvel is growing at all. Sony with Spidervere pushed all marvel films to a new age than anything so far and may continue to do so.
    All those films you named were made by studios that certainly could "buy awards" if they so chose. They weren't made by small, independent studios.

And "age" has nothing to do with growth in this topic's context.

Ultimate Member

This is exactly what it boils down.

The MCU success has really hit some people hard...for whatever reason. I'm not saying everything the MCU does is great (what's happening with BP 2 is really grinding my gears) but there's a lot of "noise" from people trying way to hard to downplay their success. To the point that they attack box office figures, attack critics, attack awards ceremonies and even attack MPAA ratings (LOLOLOL).

I have a saying that applies to stuff like this and it's never begrudge people their success. Never. Unless said individuals have done something blatantly illegal, it's not a good look to constantly tie oneself in logical knots when trying to downplay a franchise. It's not a good look.

I don't like the Twilight movies but I will never, ever downplay their success. I never liked N'Sync but I will never try to downplay their success. It doesn't speak well of one to spend more time talking about what they hate rather than what they enjoy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    All those films you named were made by studios that certainly could "buy awards" if they so chose. They weren't made by small, independent studios.

Well after the Golden Globes controversy that made even Tom Cruise return his awards and the mess of what the Oscars have become, I am usually not concrete on awards. I dont care much that Joker or a marvel film get nominated as much as I care that marvel has issues with Joker's kind of story and would not do it because they think it is too heavy for kids.

Age has 100% everything to do with growth, that is the whole point of age.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    You are wrong.

Watch the James Bond movie Goldfinger. In 1964, the most popular movie hero has dialogue that insults the Beatles.
    Yes, I remember that form James Bond but every artist back gets insulted by one person at some point. Frank Sinatra once said rock music is not music. however, equating the Beatles to marvel films is just not possible. Marvel films by reception, earnings and content should be compared to other Disney entertainment live action products because that is factually their structure. What we usually have here is heated discussion many times from comic fans on if marvel should sometimes movie away from that primarily Disney structure that cannot even allow edgier convincing adult stories on film even if their comics on paper allows that?

Also Are we really going to still drag the Beatles here, when the Beatles talked and even celebrated the drugs culture so heavily that in the UK, The BBC had to ban many of their songs that had drug innuendos like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? It's really is a joke to compare the Beatles content to Disney Marvel.

Ultimate Member

[QUOTE=Castle;5630789]T
    o be fair, Marvel has not produced anything artistically and in content that pushed the genre to a more older age in the same way Joker, TDK , Spiderverse, Deadpool and Logan have and all this series are also loved by audiences and got awards, many times awards that felt very earned and not because a lot studios can push or buys awards.
    Marvel has gotten a ton of awards and nominations for their work.

Just say you don't like that they are successful and leave it at that. I don't understand why their success has hurt you so badly but you need to let it ago.

All this talk about Joker, TDK e.t.c is totally pointless when Marvel is getting similar acclaim from the same critics and the same awards ceremonies.

That's not what the OP is talking about. And the rest here is your opinion which based on your posting history and just how many things you've gotten wrong... I can't really take very seriously. You keep posting about CGI but you made reference to Nolan movies that use notoriously little CGI and compared it to a scene in BP that wasn't even entirely CGI.

Like i said earlier, Marvel's success has troubled you so badly that you started making stuff up. Just acknowledge that you don't like Marvel, make peace with it and move on. It's not that deep.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-13-2021 at 12:10 PM.