Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Then maybe the writers should try to get on the same page.

And I know comics are supposed to be weird but looking back on some of these visual choices in the 90s make my eyes roll

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I liked the MC2 thing. Maybe eventually that could be one of the normal futures, but I doubt it. Do you think part of this is fans resisting newer characters and permanent changes?
    You've got a point.

People are still insisting on Peter and MJ "having" May even though we've long since pasted the point where May can be born.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You've got a point.

People are still insisting on Peter and MJ "having" May even though we've long since pasted the point where May can be born.
    How?
    Why can't they have May now?

Mighty Member

Punisher
    Black Widow
    Deadpool
    Shang-Chi
    Inhumans
    Blade
    Jane Foster
    Wolverine
    Cage
    Falcon

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You've got a point.

How old were peter & MJ when May was born?

Extraordinary Member

Perhaps the biggest irony is the insistence that characters can't change leads to the biggest change in that it removes what makes those characters compelling. Quesada's insistence on Spider-Man being young and down on his luck as the main draw ignored the fact that it's how Peter overcomes his bad luck that makes him compelling which is why the marriage to MJ was so important and beloved. The insistence on keeping Wolverine and Storm the same as they were under Claremont is what makes them different from what they were in those days. They went from dynamic characters to static characters and in many ways regressed.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Perhaps the biggest irony is the insistence that characters can't change leads to the biggest change in that it removes what makes those characters compelling. Quesada's insistence on Spider-Man being young and down on his luck as the main draw ignored the fact that it's how Peter overcomes his bad luck that makes him compelling which is why the marriage to MJ was so important and beloved. The insistence on keeping Wolverine and Storm the same as they were under Claremont is what makes them different from what they were in those days. They went from dynamic characters to static characters and in many ways regressed.
    Dear lord, someone who gets it!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    And it creates a dynamic where the side characters become more interesting than the main because the side characters are where the real story happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    How?
    Why can't they have May now?
    Well May is who I was talking about when I mentioned that Pete and MJ were planning on raising children. MJ was pregnant with May, and May apparently died.

In the MC2 version, that's sort of sidestepped by saying it was Norman Osborn stealing Pete's baby to do experiments, and Pete eventually rescues her from Osborn.

I'm not sure that COULD happen in the main timeline as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Sigh....you are begging for an "OK boomer" aren't you?
    Nope
    Wrong generation.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nope
    Wrong generation.
    Ok "Gen X"?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well May is who I was talking about when I mentioned that Pete and MJ were planning on raising children. MJ was pregnant with May, and May apparently died.

In the MC2 version, that's sort of sidestepped by saying it was Norman Osborn stealing Pete's baby to do experiments, and Pete eventually rescues her from Osborn.

I'm not sure that COULD happen in the main timeline as it is now.
    Not to mention there are a lot of characters that exist in 616 now that don't exist in MC2. Valeria is nowhere to be scene and there's no indication she ever existed.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well I know some fans are a bit jaded as to if "permanent" changes really are. How many decades ago did Marvel write a story where they had Ben Reilly flirting with Carolyn Trainer while Pete and MJ were planning raising children? Just let that sink in.
    Attachment 111415
    Yeah, that was the 90s!!!! Now look at where the story went from there!?!?!? Real easy to not expect changes to last when they erased most of Peter's history already.

Now this is an extreme example, but continuity gets ignored whenever convenient. I think the problem lies in how different writers have different ideas as to what makes a good Spider-Man(or whoever) story. Which can result in massive continuity shifts simply because the current writer wants to ignore a previous story arc.
    Yup, the Spider-Franchise really went downhill that time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Yup, the Spider-Franchise really went downhill that time.
    I'm honestly not sure it ever had a Golden Era to begin with honestly.

Mighty Member

Captain Marvel : She was cool when she was Miss Marvel, but for me now, she is a Hillary Clinton with superpowers. She represents for me the liberal elite, a hawk who use leftist arguments to fight for an expansionist, interventionist and usa-centrist vision of the universe. It could be interesting, but they don't assume what she represents now, so she is boring, and it's the worst sin.

Deadpool: I liked him before, but now he is just a parody of himself, a cartoon character without depth.

Nick Fury Jr.: He has no past, no developments, If they wanted a black Nick Fury, after Secret Wars they could have used Ultimate Nick Fury who is better in every area.

Moon Girl: nothing against her, just don't care about her stories

Kid Cable: an irritating Cable with less development than the original.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Ultimate Member

Liberal elite?