Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Oh yes, I wholeheartedly agree.
    Also about Events two personal observations:
    1 Events often exist only to remind readers that is a shared universe, since nowadays comic lines are often so compartmentalised that seem AU. So to showcase readers of X-men that Thor exist in same universe, Events Events Events.
    2 the Event Hype is terrible, as is 99% a big FAT lie. Everything they promise will happen won't or not as you expected or wanted( often toying with "this character will join this team" only with ending with technically teaming up for total 5 panels) and is so pervasive and I bad faith it hurt!

Also there's the growing market for the trade that push the writing in this directions, whereas the increased price of comics tend to become more and more a issue for readers(paying 5 euros for a 20 pages? Screw it!)
    All this.

I feel they should do smaller team-ups for that purpose or have even panels that show heroes interacting.Marvel cut out a page of Spider-man going to talk to DD in the prison where he is from ASM.Seems like they save these interactions for team-ups which is bad.

This.

And every time we get an event it's "bigger" and "more dangerous" than anything we've seen.There are ways to make events good other than everything is gonna die.

The sheer volume and similar content of these "events" has desensitized me to them.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Maybe it's just the writers haven't caught up with everything yet. I think a decompressed story can still develop supporting characters. In some ways it might be easier.
    The problem is when you are just jumping from arc to arc you never get those quite issues inbetween. Stuff like Cap going on a date with Diamondback. The X-Men going to the mall. The Avengers or the FF just hanging out doing normal things around New York. Those breather issues are were you used to get so much character development and seeing the heroes interact with their supporting casts.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The problem is when you are just jumping from arc to arc you never get those quite issues inbetween. Stuff like Cap going on a date with Diamondback. The X-Men going to the mall. The Avengers or the FF just hanging out doing normal things around New York. Those breather issues are were you used to get so much character development and seeing the heroes interact with their supporting casts.
    I see. Maybe there should be "in-between" issues to show that kind of stuff. Or maybe the story arcs don't always have to be some big epic thing. Maybe there can be multi-issue arcs surrounding their personal lives. Admittedly, I'm not a huge "hero personal life" kind of reader, so maybe it doesn't bother me as much.

Extraordinary Member

The 'in-between' issues are a bit of a problem nowadays with how expensive comics are. I agree that they are really important, but when you're spending $4-$5 you want your money's worth. I remember during the Bendis run on X-Men that he had this big fight with Dormammu that took 3 issues and really got me pumped, and then the issue right afterwards was an in-betweener that was only good stuff, but the lack of story progression and fillerness really made it seem like it wasn't worth the same high price the previous issues had.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The 'in-between' issues are a bit of a problem nowadays with how expensive comics are. I agree that they are really important, but when you're spending $4-$5 you want your money's worth. I remember during the Bendis run on X-Men that he had this big fight with Dormammu that took 3 issues and really got me pumped, and then the issue right afterwards was an in-betweener that was only good stuff, but the lack of story progression and fillerness really made it seem like it wasn't worth the same high price the previous issues had.
    Yeah the increasing price is another issue. Serious one. The trend is nowadays going for writing for a trade as monthly are too costly and don't guarantee the space and time to proper set your story. You start with a miniseries, get turned in an on-going, the cancelled due underperforming.

Ultimate Member

So what's the solution?

Astonishing Member

So what's the solution?
    There isn't one. People will complain regardless.

I see. Maybe there should be "in-between" issues to show that kind of stuff. Or maybe the story arcs don't always have to be some big epic thing. Maybe there can be multi-issue arcs surrounding their personal lives. Admittedly, I'm not a huge "hero personal life" kind of reader, so maybe it doesn't bother me as much.
    It's a good way to have interesting stories... without massive fights in every single issue though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    There isn't one. People will complain regardless.
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's a good way to have interesting stories... without massive fights in every single issue though.
    I see. But does every story arc have to be about massive fights?

I see. But does every story arc have to be about massive fights?
    Is it a super-hero comic if you never have fights?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Is it a super-hero comic if you never have fights?
    I didn't say never

Mighty Member

Liberal elite?
    Maybe it's not the good definition, I'm not American. Captain Marvel is for me a white, rich woman who work for the army and the statu-quo, and use leftist terms to promote interventionist and militaristic ideas. I have nothing against these kind of characters, Iron man was an interventionist arm dealer and he was interesting, but I find her boring and hypocrite.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Maybe it's not the good definition, I'm not American. Captain Marvel is for me a white, rich woman who work for the army and the statu-quo, and use leftist terms to promote interventionist and militaristic ideas. I have nothing against these kind of characters, Iron man was an interventionist arm dealer and he was interesting, but I find her boring and hypocrite.
    Ok. Usually I hear people complain about her because of feminism or something like that. This seems to be in the opposite direction.

Ultimate Member

Ok. Usually I hear people complain about her because of feminism or something like that. This seems to be in the opposite direction.
    People like to attach the labels of stuff they deride to characters they don't like. So liberals who don't like Carol Danvers will complain that she's a robo-conservative military stooge who is so Republican she bleeds chain-smoking eagles with guns and oppresses (mutant) minorities and all that, while conservatives will paint her as a feminazi liberal elitist who hates men or something. But like most comic book characters, she's all over the map, and you can easily find stuff to love, or hate, about her, in her many contrary words and actions over the last decades and dozen or so writers.

Niffleheim

Marvel really did a number on Carol because before CW 2 I didn't even know she existed but now every time I see her an Involuntary hiss comes out of my mouth or I just call her fascista. CW 1 did the same thing to Tony I have disliked him because of that event and more but I can't deny that the movie handled that story much better where I was even conflicted on whose side I agreed with at times.