Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silverhawks Returns

It does not say if it's a movie or a show but looks like silverhawks are returning.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/silverh...le-1234789025/

For me, I can no longer get excited about new animated projects until I see the character designs.

If we get realistic designs like the original Silverhawks or like Kevin Smith's He-Man, then I'll be interested.

If we get designs like Thundercats Roar or the upcoming Aquaman animated series, where people throw the pejorative "CalArts" label at it because it looks Steven Universe influenced, then I'm ignoring.

This announcement seems premature without a real deal in place. Nice to hear someone's working on it, but this is far from guaranteed.

I don't have much emotional connection to this property, so I'd be all for modern redesigns and it needs more world-building for it to interest me.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Silverhawks...ok but I need to hear/see more. This property for me floats just at the edge of my personal top 10 animated shows I have passion for.
    I watched this more or less to pass time and if mom needed something, this was the show to interrupt.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Expect the usual suspects to lose their minds when one of the characters gets race or gender bent.

Extraordinary Member

Tiger Sharks probably needs it more. That show had a lot of potential but never really got developed. But it seems like the ppl working on this are fans of the original so that's a good thing.

I'm also in the 'wait and see' category, but if it stays close to the original designs, I'd be all in for it. I remember actually watching that show when I was a child, which is more than I can say about He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Expect the usual suspects to lose their minds when one of the characters gets race or gender bent.
    I'll be genuinely surprised if anyone even cares enough about Silverhawks to be mad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'll be genuinely surprised if anyone even cares enough about Silverhawks to be mad about that.
    You're under the mistaken impression that the "usual suspects" genuinely care about the properties they've complained about before. They do not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    You're under the mistaken impression that the "usual suspects" genuinely care about the properties they've complained about before. They do not.
    Hmmm..I don't know about that. some of them may be ists but they are definitely invested emotionally in these properties.

My only wish? Change Hotwing's name to Goldwing. Please.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    My only wish? Change Hotwing's name to Goldwing. Please.
    Hotwing is the name of some W.W 2 fighter jets. I can see why the name bother ppl tho. But I think they named in that because he was an older Silver Hawk. I don't think it was meant to be a joke.
    https://store.nationalww2museum.org/...gs-5in-planes/

Extraordinary Member

One Hot Wing jets was named Tuskegee Airmen.
    https://commemorativeairforce.org/aircraft/25

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Hotwing is the name of some W.W 2 fighter jets. I can see why the name bother ppl tho. But I think they named in that because he was an older Silver Hawk. I don't think it was meant to be a joke.
    https://store.nationalww2museum.org/...gs-5in-planes/
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    One Hot Wing jets was named Tuskegee Airmen.
    https://commemorativeairforce.org/aircraft/25
    I'm positive (or naively hopeful) it was just tone-deafness by the producers. As such, other than being black there was nothing to indicate they were going for either one of those (your links). He was the magician. To that end I'm thankful he wasn't a stereotype (in that era the black dude = the smart dude (IQ from Bionic Six immediately comes to mind)).

On the other hand, keeping the Hotwing name could bring up some interesting convos like this so...could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I'm positive (or naively hopeful) it was just tone-deafness by the producers. As such, other than being black there was nothing to indicate they were going for either one of those (your links). He was the magician. To that end I'm thankful he wasn't a stereotype (in that era the black dude = the smart dude (IQ from Bionic Six immediately comes to mind)).

On the other hand, keeping the Hotwing name could bring up some interesting convos like this so...could go either way.
    Wouldn't "magical black guy" be more of a stereotype? I think the reason "black smart guy" stands out so much is because there are relatively few of them in media compared to nerdy white or Asian characters. Admittedly, I didn't grow up in the 80s, so I don't know how common the black smart guy was in fiction back then.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-11-2021 at 12:52 AM.