Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Wasted Taskmaster, but an otherwise enjoyable film. Yelena was really good. Her busting Nats balls over her poses. That was good stuff.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-11-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yelena is the best new MCU character in years imo. I was loving every second she was onscreen.
    I'd honestly love to see a continuation with Yelena, Taskmaster, Red Guardian, and a select group of other (ex) Widows (perhaps even Melina as 'man in the chair' coordinating from HQ) as their own team, not just Yelena occupying the Black Widow slot on a new Avengers, and stripped of her interesting family!

For that matter, if Scarlett's up to it, this story happened during Civil War, which was *over five years* before she died undoing the Snap, so it's entirely possible that there are some more 'untold tales' that could be snuck in there, if they want *another* movie that happens before Nat's death...

Astonishing Member

After watching Red Guardian here, and also recently Ryan Reynolds/Michael Bryce in The Hitman's Wife Bodyguard both getting multiple sedative sniper shots in order to be kidnapped, I wondered if I have I missed any recent films where this was also played for laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    After watching Red Guardian here, and also recently Ryan Reynolds/Michael Bryce in The Hitman's Wife Bodyguard both getting multiple sedative sniper shots in order to be kidnapped, I wondered if I have I missed any recent films where this was also played for laughs.
    Also happened in 4th or 5th season of Chuck.

BANNED

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    You do realize the clip you chose to show 'a much balanced way a costume thing should have been handled in the movie' was a DELETED SCENE that was NOT IN THE MOVIE? They cut it out. It only exists as a Easter Egg.
    I know it is a deleted scene but still a notable part of how to handle the costume issue, also the scene is one of the most famous deleted scene in superhero films because again the costume debate is always going to be a big thing.

The whole point of him looking like a joke in the uniform that doesn't fit was for him to look like a joke in a uniform that doesn't fit. It's a gag.
    It's also another way of showing the audience that no, Red Guardian isn't a Russian 'Captain America', he's the counterfeit super soldier you'd buy on the pier at New York where the seller swears it's the real item, but you know it isn't.
    Yes it is a gag, among the many gags in marvel films that gets it's fair share of good criticism. Marvel should not be relying on that type of gag anymore after 24 movies, A for what was suppose to be a spy film that I have seen some try to compare to Jason Borne, it is way too kiddified of that kind of film.

Amazing Member

Not sure about Vision. Maybe Abomination and Agatha Harkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I have seen some try to compare to Jason Borne, it is way too kiddified of that kind of film.
    So you're faulting a film because of other people's expectations of it that it in no way claimed to be?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I had no real issues with the film. Did have one question I haven't worked out.

At the films conclusion Ross is coming in hot with his SHIELD team. The helicopter of Widows is waiting, Yelena goes and Natasha stays saying something like, "I got this/can handle this".
    FtB: Two weeks later

Nat just pulled a quick getaway from Ross. I can buy it I just don't get why Nat doesn't get on the copter. The copter surely would've been fired on?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I know it is a deleted scene but still a notable part of how to handle the costume issue, also the scene is one of the most famous deleted scene in superhero films because again the costume debate is always going to be a big thing.
    And yet that deleted scene would've just been a gratuitous Easter egg that didn't really do anything for the movie (seen how it was removed and changed nothing), while the Red Guardian suit being in the film helped build the character and arguably contributed to the emotional resolution of his part in the story.

Yes it is a gag, among the many gags in marvel films that gets it's fair share of good criticism. Marvel should not be relying on that type of gag anymore after 24 movies, A for what was suppose to be a spy film that I have seen some try to compare to Jason Borne, it is way too kiddified of that kind of film.
    Translation; it's bad because you didn't want chocolate in your peanut butter. Okay then.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Translation; it's bad because you didn't want chocolate in your peanut butter. Okay then.
    One has to know that peanut butter tastes objectively better without chocolate.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Well I really liked it and it has only grown on me since seeing it. The vest with pockets that shows up in Infinity War now has new meaning. And Pugh was great, as usual. I first saw her in Little Women and loved her in that movie. And honestly I really liked the subtext of freeing enslaved women. Also this seemed like a pretty good Bechdel Test movie.

As to the Post-Credits scene, it was ok but like with FaTWS I'm still not vibing with Madame Hydra/Valentina as a character. For me, she's been poorly introduced and we've seen nothing about her, zilch. So I don't care and probably never will because at this point I'm kinda pissed about her. Plus of all the movies, seems this one could have been a good opportunity to show a little background on her. But no! Its kind of souring my desire for anything in the next phase at this point.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

[QUOTE=Castle;5628688]

It wasn't supposed to be a spy film, it was supposed to be a Disney superhero movie. And since the success of Guardians of the Galaxy they've used the same template for most of their films, quip/fight/quip/fight/bit of drama to shake things up/quip/fight/music/dance/fight/fight/quip. I'm sick of it, but the box office doesn't lie in showing I'm squarely in the minority.

If you want a good spy story try "the Americans". It's what their life in Ohio reminded me of at first glance. Much better writing and acting for the most part, but more of a slow burn and no shots filmed for 3D falling out of a helicopter or cringe-worthy quips about superhero landings. If you want the Disney hero stuff you're going to have to take the good with the bad. In my opinion this was on the wrong side of that balance (more bad than good), but again seem to be in the minority.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I had no real issues with the film. Did have one question I haven't worked out.

At the films conclusion Ross is coming in hot with his SHIELD team. The helicopter of Widows is waiting, Yelena goes and Natasha stays saying something like, "I got this/can handle this".
    FtB: Two weeks later

Nat just pulled a quick getaway from Ross. I can buy it I just don't get why Nat doesn't get on the copter. The copter surely would've been fired on?
    I was expecting her to get away in the copter. But we see later her plan is to reunite the Avengers. You could say that she had to negotiate with Ross to get him off their backs and/or get Intel from him that would lead her to the whereabouts of the rest of her team. From this movie, we know she gathered Captain America and Falcon off panel and then went to save Wanda and Vision. (Then they went back to Avengers Compound, which they wouldn't be able to do if Ross was still on their case). Imho, she had to make some sort of deal with Ross to get them to where they were in the movie. She also got a mysterious influx of cash which had to come from someone.

Niffleheim

Do you think she bargained with Ross by offering him the intel of all the active Widows around the world in exchange for her freedom?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I was expecting her to get away in the copter. But we see later her plan is to reunite the Avengers. You could say that she had to negotiate with Ross to get him off their backs and/or get Intel from him that would lead her to the whereabouts of the rest of her team. From this movie, we know she gathered Captain America and Falcon off panel and then went to save Wanda and Vision. (Then they went back to Avengers Compound, which they wouldn't be able to do if Ross was still on their case). Imho, she had to make some sort of deal with Ross to get them to where they were in the movie. She also got a mysterious influx of cash which had to come from someone.
    Err, what?

I think you're seeing connections that aren't there.

Nat helped Steve break the others out. They stayed together until Infinity War, with Wanda sneaking off to see Vision. After Vision was wounded, they brought him back to the compound because they didn't have anywhere else they could take him that could help.

When Ross saw them, he ordered Rhodey to arrest them, remember?