Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

A thought on the Taskmaster: evil Russian guy had scores of Black Widows but he only made one Taskmaster? The movie one could have been his personal one, but there could have been more, who now loose and looking for something to do with themselves.
    Sounds perfect.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post

Regarding the Melina accountability, she was stuck in a place where she couldn’t do anything but what she knew. Being a past Black Widow, she did what she had to. Once her “found family” returned to her, she did what she could to make up for it, which I think is pretty much the most she could do. She essentially saved all the Widow’s that were under control at that point, which is also worth noting.
    She still has too much dirt for me to be ok with her just being able to walk away. Maybe if she aids Yelena in deprogramming the other Widows or reproduce the antidote it could go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    She still has too much dirt for me to be ok with her just being able to walk away. Maybe if she aids Yelena in deprogramming the other Widows or reproduce the antidote it could go a long way.
    That’s fair. I feel like thats something that’s implied or hinted at as they left. Sometimes you need to let the brain do the work and not have it all spelled out for the viewer by the script/exposition.

Extraordinary Member

Another problem I have with this film is the lack of accountability for Melina. She created the mind control that current Widows are under, continues to perfect said mind control with pigs, was a recruiter, and essentially functioned as Dreykov right hand woman and she was able to walk away. Fucking what
    It was hinted that it was Melina in the first place that sent that older Black Widow that put the red smoke on Yelena, thus freeing her. So Melina was the one that started the plot to take down Dreyka in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    It was hinted that it was Melina in the first place that sent that older Black Widow that put the red smoke on Yelena, thus freeing her. So Melina was the one that started the plot to take down Dreyka in the first place.
    Yes, this too! I figured Melina was behind the smoke.

Ultimate Member

Yelena is the best new MCU character in years imo. I was loving every second she was onscreen.

Niffleheim

Didn't she alert Dreykov when they arrived at her place? She only had a change of heart when both women revealed how important she was to their life and she was one of the reason they survived (this is more from Natasha than Yelena). Otherwise she really is a company girl first and foremost which is the whole point of the Red Room but the RR didn't foresee removing the Widows' wombs might create different generation of Widows developing familial/parental feelings towards the younger ones.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-11-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Mighty Member

Awesome movie. Loved the Red Room revelation.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

When was this hinted?

Extraordinary Member

When was this hinted?
    Before Natasha and Yelena knew Melina was still alive. Yelena explained to Natasha that a scientist from Melina’s generation of Black Widow’s had worked on a de-brainwashing red dust that she was tracking. We the audience saw that part. Yelena said they tracked it to that other black widow that she fought and critically injured, but not before she herself was unbrainwashed by her.

Then later they learn Melina survived. And the “family” reunited.
    We then audience think Melina then betrays them to Dreyka. But then it turns out it was Natasha and Melina made a plan.

It’s pretty obvious that Melina was the one responsible that created the red dust and had that other black widow unbrainwash Yelena.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 07-11-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Mighty Member

Before Natasha and Yelena knew Melina was still alive. Yelena explained to Natasha that a scientist from Melina’s generation of Black Widow’s had worked on a de-brainwashing red dust that she was tracking. We the audience saw that part. Yelena said they tracked it to that other black widow that she fought and critically injured, but not before she herself was unbrainwashed by her.

Then later they learn Melina survived. And the “family” reunited.
    We then audience think Melina then betrays them to Dreyka. But then it turns out it was Natasha and Melina made a plan.

It’s pretty obvious that Melina was the one responsible that created the red dust and had that other black widow unbrainwash Yelena.
    That's a major stretch, frankly.

Melina sold them out to the Red Room, but changed her mind and helped Nat because they reconnected.

Also, Nat explicitly told Yelena that Melina would need to recreate the red mist formula from the one sample left. If Melina had created it, she wouldn't need to recreate it, she'd just make more.

Also, Melina was 100% still loyal to the Red Room prior to Nat and Yelena returning. There's no reason whatsoever for her to create the red mist in the first place. No, the red mist undid her work, it wasn't her work.

Astonishing Member

I'm actually super pissed that this movie came out now and not in place of Captain Marvel or Ant Man/Wasp. This movie would have made Natasha's death scene way more poignant and sad.

Overall I thought it was a solid showing, I agree with everyone that Yelena and Red Guardian stole the show.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    She was said to be under the mind control too, IIRC.
    She said that she was also under a phermone lock, so she couldn't attack Dreykov. But she wasn't under the same kind of control that the current Widows were. She was indoctrinated at a young age, but still aware of what she was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It depends on how you see it but in the 3 dimensional wall of the movie, I just did not think he needed to wear the costume , when it was clear it did not necessary fit him anymore. the 4th dimensional wall that gets broken had him keep wearing it for nothing more but merchandise reasons and I did not think that was a good enough reason.

Honestly though, these are the kinds of things sometimes I see in MCU films that just makes me think, how things would have been so different, if Disney did not own the rights to marvel films and needed to always try and insert some unnecessary childish narrative in their films

This clip below was a much balanced way the costume thing should have been handled in the movie. I think many times this is how superhero films put limits on this costume issue when you know their limits in wearing them can only go as far as comic-con in the real world. Just do this in the movie with all costumes that is just the least realistic for a live action film.

nothing wrong in seeing it in a live action film, but wearing it when it clearly does not fit was not appaoroaite and was consonantly another running gag joke they had in their films that just did not land well.

He looked like a joke through out the film when he had it on and you don't need that in a film that you know will have jokes. it's over-spilling the humor factor.
    You do realize the clip you chose to show 'a much balanced way a costume thing should have been handled in the movie' was a DELETED SCENE that was NOT IN THE MOVIE? They cut it out. It only exists as a Easter Egg.

The whole point of him looking like a joke in the uniform that doesn't fit was for him to look like a joke in a uniform that doesn't fit. It's a gag. It's also another way of showing the audience that no, Red Guardian isn't a Russian 'Captain America', he's the counterfeit super soldier you'd buy on the pier at New York where the seller swears it's the real item, but you know it isn't.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Haven't seen the movie yet, after reading through this thread I'm getting a six on a scale of one to ten vibe. Is that right? If it is that makes this a "wait until it gets to the cheap theatre or until the streamer doesn't charge you extra for it" movie.
    Yep overall but I think might uptick on rewatch.

Now if you're a bit of a Pughmaniac like me, it was straight 8/9 already.