Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Potential clues about the future of Spider-Man?

I have observe that, in the last years, there have been several sotries in Marvel comics that could give us "clues" about what it could happen with Spider-Man now in the near future. You see, these stories makes me think we could actually be going to the restore of the Spider-Marriage, plus maybe some other "surprises". You see:

+ We had "Spider-Verse" and "Spidergeddon", involving MC2 in a big way as Mayday Parker was one of the biggest players here, alongside her baby brother.

+ We had the debut of "Renew Your Vows", a reality where the Spider-Marriage still exists, they have a superpowered daughter and Mary Jane even became a heroine as Spinneret.

+ We have the incomming "Dar Ages" arc, which apparently gives us a reality where the Spider-Marriae exist and they have a little girl with spider-powers too.

+ During the "Secret Wars", we had another world where Peter and Mary Jane had a daughter, Maybelle.

+ We had the collection "Spider-Man: Life Story", where we had Peter and Mary Jane married and having twins, Ben and Claire.

+ We had the collection "Bloodline", which gave us another reality where the Spider-Marriage exist, Peter and MJ had a boy named Ben, and in a twist of fate, Mary Jane got her own spider-powers.

+ In the main 616-reality, Mary Jane temporally donned the Iron Spider's armor to fight the Regent. And curiously, this caused her, along with Peter and the Regent, to have a "deja-vu" from their counterparts in "Renew Your Vows".

+ Finally, in "Amazing Mary Jane", Mary Jane had shortly to play as Spider-Man in a movie, and many people thought about her time with Spider-Powers in Spider-Island.

So, with all this, I can't stop wish thinking for the return of the Spider-Marriage between Peter and Mary Jane. Even more, it would be interesting if, somehow, Mary Jane's spider-powers would be restored somehow.

What do you think?

i dont think the marriage return will solve anything for me really.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

MJ won't get Spider-powers.Her entire appeal is her being human.
    "She been through everything I have, and she did it without a spider bite"-Peter Parker(Not an exact quote but it's close IIRC)

And hopefully this Beyond is just a placeholder for 900 when we get a A-list team for a JMS style adult Spidey run.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-10-2021 at 09:16 PM.

MJ won’t get Spider powers, but it has been interesting to see Marvel allow multiple married Peter who is a dad alts after Slott basically had to pull editorial’s arm off to get them to let him do a married Peter/MJ story for Secret Wars.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    MJ won’t get Spider powers, but it has been interesting to see Marvel allow multiple married Peter who is a dad alts after Slott basically had to pull editorial’s arm off to get them to let him do a married Peter/MJ story for Secret Wars.
    Different people in editorial. The only hold outs are Quesada (who is just the CCO in title only at this point) and Brevoort. So I think the approach to the marriage in alternate realities has softened. It just hasn't done so for 616 yet.

But they have allowed them to get together again. Something they held off on for a decade.

Mighty Member

Marvel now is a very different beast than it was 5 years ago.
    The editorial were probably reading comics in the 80's and 90's, with writers who were also reading then.
    Typically, writers and editors want to see the comics they used to read, so with folks who grew up in the marriage years, it's better to see them together rather than apart.

I also think there's a bit of regret within the marvel offices, not so much that they did away with the marriage, but how they got rid of it. I get the feeling it's a problem they've inherented and the fact we've got so much from them over the last few years, could work as a sort of apology for how they've treated the character.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    The editorial were probably reading comics in the 80's and 90's, with writers who were also reading then.
    Typically, writers and editors want to see the comics they used to read, so with folks who grew up in the marriage years, it's better to see them together rather than apart.

I also think there's a bit of regret within the marvel offices, not so much that they did away with the marriage, but how they got rid of it. I get the feeling it's a problem they've inherented and the fact we've got so much from them over the last few years, could work as a sort of apology for how they've treated the character.
    Yeah, they don't want to do ANOTHER magic hand wave, the first one was bad enough. As much as people hated the first one, there's no way a second would go over well. Thus they don't want to be hasty. However, they can explore alt-Us nearly with impunity to gauge fan reactions to the various alt-u versions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post

I agree. Those who were involved with OMD don't regret doing away with the marriage, but I think they realized that they could have done it/handled it better. For all intents and purposes, OMD is here to stay. There won't be a magical retcon to wipe it away (despite some wishing for that to happen). At best it will be dealt with, overcome in some fashion, and Peter and MJ will be free to be together or remarry in the future (Marvel gets a opportunity to do the marriage twice if they want).

In saying that, I think everyone realizes they can never substitute someone else being with Peter. They tried it, and it may have worked if they really pushed for it, but nobody will accept him being with someone else. It was like doing away with the romance between Clark and Lois. In the end even DC came to the sense that they had to reinstate it. Same reason why Barry is back with Iris, Wally with Linda and Arthur with Mera.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I agree. Those who were involved with OMD don't regret doing away with the marriage, but I think they realized that they could have done it/handled it better. For all intents and purposes, OMD is here to stay. There won't be a magical retcon to wipe it away (despite some wishing for that to happen). At best it will be dealt with, overcome in some fashion, and Peter and MJ will be free to be together or remarry in the future (Marvel gets a opportunity to do the marriage twice if they want).

In saying that, I think everyone realizes they can never substitute someone else being with Peter. They tried it, and it may have worked if they really pushed for it, but nobody will accept him being with someone else. It was like doing away with the romance between Clark and Lois. In the end even DC came to the sense that they had to reinstate it. Same reason why Barry is back with Iris, Wally with Linda and Arthur with Mera.
    Yeah stuff like that can make interesting alt-us... but retconning the MAIN universe? no.

Fantastic Member

The marriage could very well return, but with Quesada as a 'confident' to Cebulski, Brevoort around, and who knows how others high-up feel about the marriage... I mean, they may like the marriage... but they may not, also. Do we know for sure how Cebulski himself feels about it?

Also, I know people aren't fans of him, but putting that aside, I just remember something Dan Slott said a couple years ago... how, no matters the changes in editorial and such, the marriage won't be back. He does work in Marvel, and would likely know the inner workings and how things go on there better than most. So, even with the changes that have happened with editorial... that may not change anything.

The marriage is not coming back. Baby Mayday is not coming back. They went throught too much hassle, to write it out of the book, they will never restore it.

Best we can hope for is Peter and MJ to just be a couple. At least that's how I see it.

As for other "clues", I remember Peter having dreams with Mephisto and Deadpool referencing OMD in Spider-Man/Deadpool. Hopefully we will see OMD resolved sometime soon. Let Peter win over Mephisto already.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    The marriage is not coming back. Baby Mayday is not coming back. They went throught too much hassle, to write it out of the book, they will never restore it.

Best we can hope for is Peter and MJ to just be a couple. At least that's how I see it.

As for other "clues", I remember Peter having dreams with Mephisto and Deadpool referencing OMD in Spider-Man/Deadpool. Hopefully we will see OMD resolved sometime soon. Let Peter win over Mephisto already.
    According to the solicits Mephisto will not be in 874, and since Ben is taking over, OMD will not be dealt with for awhile. I am projecting ASM 1000 at the earliest for Mephisto and the marriage to be dealt with. If I am correct it will be a major missed opportunity by Spencer. Why? The Strange and Mephisto panel and especially on he BND issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    The marriage is not coming back. Baby Mayday is not coming back. They went throught too much hassle, to write it out of the book, they will never restore it
    Never say never.
    I am pretty confident the marriage IS coming back, the question is "when"- # 900 or # 1000. My bet is on the latter.
    There's a demand for married Peter, people are sick of coming back to status quo. We have dozens of others "Spider-People" who can appeal to younger audience, such as Miles and Gwen, but for Peter it's time to settle. IMO.
    But only time will tell who's right and who's wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    The marriage could very well return, but with Quesada as a 'confident' to Cebulski, Brevoort around, and who knows how others high-up feel about the marriage... I mean, they may like the marriage... but they may not, also. Do we know for sure how Cebulski himself feels about it?

Also, I know people aren't fans of him, but putting that aside, I just remember something Dan Slott said a couple years ago... how, no matters the changes in editorial and such, the marriage won't be back. He does work in Marvel, and would likely know the inner workings and how things go on there better than most. So, even with the changes that have happened with editorial... that may not change anything.
    Dan Slott does not have a crystal ball. IMO, Dan Slott would be better off paying attention to the things in his own power - like turning his scripts in on time - than opining about a future editorial strategy he has no insight into or control over.

The only people who can speak for editorial is the editorial staff, and even then:

1) Kevin Feige has since added comics to his remit and Quesada is practically powerless

2) Editorial staff come and go

3) Editorial staff can change their minds

4) The old "Moonlighting" myth that story tension goes away once characters are in a healthy relationship has been torpedoed

5) Marvel is leaning hard into multiverses and nextgen characters to keep stories fresh instead of insisting characters remain forever frozen and returned to their original toy box at every story's conclusion. What was once verboten - a version of Gwen Stacy running around present day 616, anyone (which by the way is thanks to Slott)? A married Superman and Lois with a kid? - is accepted now without an eyeblink by audiences.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-12-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Well, after Last Remains I don't really trust solicits in TASM.
    I hope they can find a good writer after Spencer, to tackle the fallout. After Beyond.