Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    What was once verboten - a version of Gwen Stacy running around present day 616, anyone (which by the way is thanks to Slott)? A married Superman and Lois with a kid? - is accepted now without an eyeblink by audiences.
    The funny thing is that it was accepted by fans back when it was confined to alt-u stories. it's just that editorial didn't choose to embrace it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Dan Slott does not have a crystal ball. IMO, Dan Slott would be better off paying attention to the things in his own power - like turning his scripts in on time - than opining about a future editorial strategy he has no insight into or control over.

The only people who can speak for editorial is the editorial staff, and even then:

1) Kevin Feige has since added comics to his remit and Quesada is practically powerless

2) Editorial staff come and go

3) Editorial staff can change their minds

4) The old "Moonlighting" myth that story tension goes away once characters are in a healthy relationship has been torpedoed

5) Marvel is leaning hard into multiverses and nextgen characters to keep stories fresh instead of insisting characters remain forever frozen and returned to their original toy box at every story's conclusion. What was once verboten - a version of Gwen Stacy running around present day 616, anyone (which by the way is thanks to Slott)? A married Superman and Lois with a kid? - is accepted now without an eyeblink by audiences.
    I think the big question is: what would Marvel gain by reinstating the marriage? I think your point about multiverses makes the opposite point: Marvel has printed a series of books featuring AU versions of Spider-Man where he is married to MJ (Renew Your Vows, Life Story) so in that way they get to have their cake and eat it too. The Superman example is also instructive in that DC has always openly played with multiverses and continuity reboots (the original storyline re-introducing a married Superman and Lois and first presenting their child took place in a book where Brainiac stole different versions of characters from across the multiverse and put them under glass bottles.) But Marvel has gone to great lengths to establish that the characters we are reading today are still the same ones introduced back in Fantastic Four #1 back in 1961. They have done some retconning and time-sliding to smooth out things, but there has been not Crisis on Infinite Earth style reboot. You can see this through all of the convoluted storylines they attempted to undo the Spider-Marriage (the Clone Saga, MJ being killed in a plane crash, OMD)--instead of just doing a new number one where Peter Parker woke up younger and unmarried. And unlike other major story events like the death of a major character, marriage doesn't have a satisfying in-story "un-do" button. (The most 'comic-booky" one I can think of is when they retroactively revealed that the Alicia Masters who married Johnny Storm was actually a skrull.)

This is all to say that short of maybe a small sales bump for a wedding issue (although I question how big would it be, given the iconic status of Amazing Spider-Man Annual 21--any attempt to make a big sales splash with a Spider-marriage would be diminished by the fact that they've already done this before) Marvel wouldn't get anything out of an in-continuity return to a Peter-MJ marriage that it wouldn't have a difficult time undoing if they decided to later. And since they've opened up their line to AU books and storylines, they can cater to fans of the marriage with books like RYV or even a return of the Mayday Spider-Girl book while still keeping their main continuity Spider-Man book open to be more inline with the film version and more open to other storylines (despite what fans of the Spider-marriage say, it does shut off an avenue of storytelling without really adding a whole lot in its place.) And creators are free to use her as Peter's love interest (like Spencer has) but are not locked in if they have a different idea for a romance for the character (or no romance at all.)

Bringing back the marriage might appease a small portion of the fanbase, but Marvel seems to have realized that they can do that with AU books and not tie the hands of every creator working on the in-continuity Spider-Man book in perpetuity. So for them, the current scenario is win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    And unlike other major story events like the death of a major character, marriage doesn't have a satisfying in-story "un-do" button. (The most 'comic-booky" one I can think of is when they retroactively revealed that the Alicia Masters who married Johnny Storm was actually a skrull.)
    Oh that had a satisfying story moment... but it wasn't until years later. :P They got re-united in Secret Invasion.
    624724-si_ff_2_4.jpg
    Oh yeah, THAT was satisfying Hmm... I wonder if she's going to give Johnny more than just something to think about soon?

Astonishing Member

I really getting nervous about what happen at the end of the first issue of "Sinister War". Play the Devil's game is a wrong move, mainly because the Devil will always cheat. Either way, I really wish this will finally undo OMD and restore the Spider-Marriage. I even have in mind how could this work:

+ ASM #900: Spider-Marriage restored.
    + ASM #1000: Spider-Man becomes a dad.

It's Strange, he'll be fine.

I wonder what happens to Harry.
    If I'm not mistaken, he's not in any of the solicits. Maybe he goes back to hell and Peter feels guilty about it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    It's Strange, he'll be fine.

I wonder what happens to Harry.
    If I'm not mistaken, he's not in any of the solicits. Maybe he goes back to hell and Peter feels guilty about it?
    After all that Kindred did, I'll say that this is one of the things Peter have absolutely no reason to feel guilty. This "Harry" caused this to himself!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I think the big question is: what would Marvel gain by reinstating the marriage? I think your point about multiverses makes the opposite point: Marvel has printed a series of books featuring AU versions of Spider-Man where he is married to MJ (Renew Your Vows, Life Story) so in that way they get to have their cake and eat it too. The Superman example is also instructive in that DC has always openly played with multiverses and continuity reboots (the original storyline re-introducing a married Superman and Lois and first presenting their child took place in a book where Brainiac stole different versions of characters from across the multiverse and put them under glass bottles.) But Marvel has gone to great lengths to establish that the characters we are reading today are still the same ones introduced back in Fantastic Four #1 back in 1961. They have done some retconning and time-sliding to smooth out things, but there has been not Crisis on Infinite Earth style reboot. You can see this through all of the convoluted storylines they attempted to undo the Spider-Marriage (the Clone Saga, MJ being killed in a plane crash, OMD)--instead of just doing a new number one where Peter Parker woke up younger and unmarried. And unlike other major story events like the death of a major character, marriage doesn't have a satisfying in-story "un-do" button. (The most 'comic-booky" one I can think of is when they retroactively revealed that the Alicia Masters who married Johnny Storm was actually a skrull.)

This is all to say that short of maybe a small sales bump for a wedding issue (although I question how big would it be, given the iconic status of Amazing Spider-Man Annual 21--any attempt to make a big sales splash with a Spider-marriage would be diminished by the fact that they've already done this before) Marvel wouldn't get anything out of an in-continuity return to a Peter-MJ marriage that it wouldn't have a difficult time undoing if they decided to later. And since they've opened up their line to AU books and storylines, they can cater to fans of the marriage with books like RYV or even a return of the Mayday Spider-Girl book while still keeping their main continuity Spider-Man book open to be more inline with the film version and more open to other storylines (despite what fans of the Spider-marriage say, it does shut off an avenue of storytelling without really adding a whole lot in its place.) And creators are free to use her as Peter's love interest (like Spencer has) but are not locked in if they have a different idea for a romance for the character (or no romance at all.)

Bringing back the marriage might appease a small portion of the fanbase, but Marvel seems to have realized that they can do that with AU books and not tie the hands of every creator working on the in-continuity Spider-Man book in perpetuity. So for them, the current scenario is win-win.
    If Marvel thinks they could make money from redoing the marriage, they will. Doesn't matter if they've done it before. So saying that they won't do so on that alone doesn't necessarily make it so. Although you do make good points.

We have to understand that those who worked to ditch the marriage were fans of the status quo from before Peter was married. Now a whole crop of creators are coming in who were fans of the books when Peter was married. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing. Eddie Brock wasn't host of Venom for well over 10 years (12 I think?), yet they brought him back.

For me, I don't think they'll rush into doing another marriage any time soon. If anything I think they'll have Peter and MJ engaged for a while. Which is something the books never really explored first time out.

But saying they'll never remarry them down the track isn't set in stone. It may, or may not, happen. Really depends on circumstances we can't know. But if a writer comes in with a story for a marriage down the line and Marvel thinks it is worth telling, you bet they'll do it. If you told me a few months ago Ben Reilly would be taking over for Peter and I would have told you, "Nope! No way. It's been done! They won't possibly do that again. Not after last time!" Yet here we are.

Peter was planning to propose earlier in the run, and mentioned it again in Sinister War #1, so I wouldn't be surprised if they split the difference that way.

Peter & MJ engaged can work as a status quo for several years of comics. What happens after would probably be based on Marvel's long-term plans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Peter was planning to propose earlier in the run, and mentioned it again in Sinister War #1, so I wouldn't be surprised if they split the difference that way.

Peter & MJ engaged can work as a status quo for several years of comics. What happens after would probably be based on Marvel's long-term plans.
    Which is what I think they'll do.

I think Marvel realizes that MJ is pretty much the preferred love interest for Peter. They've tried other relationships and none of them have taken. Now, some of that may be down to the writers not capitalizing on the love interests they set up with Peter, some might be due to not promotion, but a bulk of the reason is fans (even those who don't buy the books) simply won't accept anyone else.

You could try to have someone else with Clark Kent. I mean, nothing really stopping DC doing that (indeed they tried hard with the WW pairing). However it just wouldn't take because Lois is pretty much THE love interest for Superman. I'd wager you ask anyone on the street who Supes love interest is and they say Lois. MJ is that for Peter (this is despite Gwen being the first).

No, a long engagement is likely the best of both worlds at this point. Peter isn't locked into a marriage, but he is with MJ again.

Astonishing Member

No, a long engagement is likely the best of both worlds at this point. Peter isn't locked into a marriage, but he is with MJ again.
    Fans will still constantly ask about marriage, sooner or later they will have to come to this. Or close this once and for all, or give up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Fans will still constantly ask about marriage, sooner or later they will have to come to this. Or close this once and for all, or give up.
    I agree. But, for now, best to just explore the engagement angle. While Marvel is a totally different beast than it was when OMD occurred, there are still a few individuals there that I'd like to see out the door before they even approach the topic of having the marriage occur again.

In saying that, Joey Q felt there were too many mutants (hence why we had House Of M and the run of extinct stories that followed). Now we are back to where they were pre-House Of M. So I guess the marriage could always happen while he is around still.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I agree. But, for now, best to just explore the engagement angle. While Marvel is a totally different beast than it was when OMD occurred, there are still a few individuals there that I'd like to see out the door before they even approach the topic of having the marriage occur again.

In saying that, Joey Q felt there were too many mutants (hence why we had House Of M and the run of extinct stories that followed). Now we are back to where they were pre-House Of M. So I guess the marriage could always happen while he is around still.
    Oh yeah.

Again it won't last forever and they will split apart and get back together again and again.We will all probably be dead long before this cycle is over.

I'm still surprised that Marvel is not hyping "OMD reversal" or anything like that. They are more interested in teasing Beyond. Makes me kind of nervous, what the resolution to sinister war will be...

In fairness Mutants WERE an over-used idea. But... HoM didn't fix that and actually made it worse. They went from being over-used due to sheer numbers, to super-important and overused due to perceived novelty. Some of the Xmen stories had the premise that there are literally MILLIONS of mutants. Thus these stories would have cannon-fodder mutants seemingly everywhere. That was not a good thing.

HoM didn't really make things better though.

Mighty Member

Which is what I think they'll do.

I think Marvel realizes that MJ is pretty much the preferred love interest for Peter. They've tried other relationships and none of them have taken. Now, some of that may be down to the writers not capitalizing on the love interests they set up with Peter, some might be due to not promotion, but a bulk of the reason is fans (even those who don't buy the books) simply won't accept anyone else.

You could try to have someone else with Clark Kent. I mean, nothing really stopping DC doing that (indeed they tried hard with the WW pairing). However it just wouldn't take because Lois is pretty much THE love interest for Superman. I'd wager you ask anyone on the street who Supes love interest is and they say Lois. MJ is that for Peter (this is despite Gwen being the first).

Gwen wasn't Peter's first love interest.
    Betty was his first love interest.

Peter was in a relationship with Betty before he met Gwen.
    May tried to set Peter up with Mary Jane, and Peter told May that he already had a girlfriend which was Betty.
    May dismissed his telling that he already has a girlfriend and made the point that Peter is not married to Betty.
    May was so intent on setting Peter up with Mary Jane so badly that she actually ignored that he was already in a relationship with another girl.
    He didn't know Gwen at the time.
    This was in high school.
    He didn't meet Gwen until he started college.
    Last edited by Starrius; 07-18-2021 at 09:38 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.