View Poll Results: Was it for the best that Batman and Robin (1997) was made?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 40.91%
  • No

13 59.09%

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Was it for the best that Batman and Robin (1997) was made?

I know many and if not 99% of all comic fans will freak out on the title, because of the reputation this movie gets. but hear me out about this film and its legacy.

I get it, this movie was bad, so bad you wonder how George Clooney still had a glittering acting career when the rest of the cast careers suffered. However if there had not been a Batman and Robin, I don't think the comic book genre would have forced itself to grow up. When I look at all the comic films that still had the shadow of Batman and Robin to live with or overcome like Blade, X-Men 2000, X-MEN 2 Spiderman 2, V for Vendetta and most importantly Nolan rebooting Batman with the TDK Trilogy.

Even if some people may not like any of these comic films now at least there is a universal clear agreement that this movies put the genre on a far better path, where the genre can be taken a lot more seriously in a way that has never been and may never be again and also, A lot of serious film making thought can be put in comic films not just in story but with dealing with real human themes knitted well in the world of costumes where people dress up as bats and bring claws from their hands.

I don't think many of the good comic films we had in the 2000s would have been if Batman and Robin had been a big critical success and a huge commercial success. Batman and Robin made the genre change immensely in the 2000s in a way I still feel is relevant now.

I don't think Batman and Robin should be a film where all the talk is negative. there was an event horizon since I cannot talk about Batman in movies without saying Batman went through a phase with this film but found its footings again with Batman actually Beginning all over again in 2005 (Batman Begins)
    Last edited by Castle; 07-11-2021 at 08:12 AM.