Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Some good stuff in that arc.

It was a rematch 2 years in the making and it did not disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    No that's what I meant, the first Chuma thing with the tea doesn't count because she was faking it, but the Kiss of the Cobra dropped her like a sack of bricks lol. I think by the time Chuma tried his own dart later we can handwave it away that she'd already been through the idea with the Bana's poison so she was weaker (and also being pummeled by Cheetah).

But yeah I'm willing to forgive a lot for that final Cheetah vs. Wonder Woman fight. It has yet to be topped and it's a shame we never get that same savage energy on screen.
    Never say never.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I just need to point out, that in this very story, Diana held back demonic energies that shook the entire planet and caused earth quakes everywhere. So both of you are kind of low balling here.

https://imgur.com/a/Gl1eY
    And you don't catch my irony...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    And you don't catch my irony...
    My bad... I thought you were kind of serious
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Perez WW was the early stage of Post Crisis WW. At that point every character started on a lower level.

But still in that run she did far better than a car. She lifted a nuke in when saving Steve. She lifted a big statue in her fight with Decay. She prevented a military jet from taking off in issue 8. She easily lifted a big ship and then lifted a super tall and giant monster and tossed it around in issue 24. So yeah. She did far better than lifting car. For a debut run and intro that served as a brand new start for the character. Perez run was not bad. Like i said. All characterd started at a lower level in Post Crisis and they would grow in power over time.

BANNED

Batman and Hawkgirl were weaker. Flash, GL, and MMH were on par. Superman was the strongest, until Flash showed he could do his infinite mass punch, so Wonder Woman was arguably 2nd strongest through JLU, where she was 2nd or 3rd strongest.

Flash, MMH, and Hawkgirl got less focus.

Flash's, MMH's, Hawkgirl's, and GL's rogues and mythologies were used less. Due to the Bat embargo, no Bat villains were used on JLU at all.

Flash and MMH never had love interests lasting more than an episode.

The only reason WW's lasso wasn't used more was to highlight J'onn's telepathy. She still used her lasso as a combat weapon.

The JLU intro ends with an image of her, Batman, and Superman, while the rest of the founders aren't there at all.

These complaints are overblown, especially when other fandoms who are in worse positions don't whine about having gotten less.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-11-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Batman and Hawkgirl were weaker. Flash, GL, and MMH were on par. Superman was the strongest, until Flash showed he could do his infinite mass punch, so Wonder Woman was arguably 2nd strongest through JLU, where she was 2nd or 3rd strongest.

Flash's, MMH's, Hawkgirl's, and GL's rogues and mythologies were used less. Due to the Bat embargo, no Bat villains were used on JLU at all.

The only reason WW's lasso wasn't used more was to highlight J'onn's telepathy. She still used her lasso as a combat weapon.

The JLU intro ends with an image of her, Batman, and Superman, while the rest of the founders aren't there at all.

These complaints are overblown, especially when other fandoms who are in worse positions don't whine about having gotten less.
    Just because others got it worse, doesn't change the fact that she was treated badly. She was pretty weak. One dimensional. Her attitude was terrible. She was eye candy for batman etc.

Just gonna say I'm not gonna into a power levels debate. Not directed at you, just the topic dominating other threads here have me uninterested in the topic.

I would debate Hawkgirl got less focus when the storyline with one of the biggest impacts on the show was the finale of JL and the fallout carrying on into JLU, which was all Hawkgirl. Along with the overall well-regarded romance with John Stewart.

And my response is if you're going to include stuff from WW's world, do it well. I don't think they did. Her main villains who appeared on the show were all under-served imo but to narrow in on Cheetah (Diana's arch). She was given no meaningful background on the show or relation with Diana. And her mainly plot was Bats (because of course it was him) seducing her to figure out what Lex's plan was.

And they planned on killing her off in her debut appearance and only survived because of animation error.

The criticism leveled at the Batman crush they gave Wonder Woman isn't that they gave her a love interest. It's that they made it Batman, Bruce Timm's and many who worked on the DCAU, self-admitted favorite. So it very much reeks of Bat-God and self-insert fanfic of making DC's biggest heroine have the hots for DC's golden boy and why I've always hated that relationship possibility.

Which is like saying the GL ring shouldn't be able to let John fly or shoot laser beams because they want to highlight Superman being able to fly or laser vision.

And the stuff like placing her there among Batman and Superman in the intro to imply she was Supes and Bats equal was unearned in my opinion, largely because of their own creative decisions such as making her the rookie of the group. And even then, she had way more interactions with Bats in that show because they wanted to push the Batman school girl crush. I'd be hard pressed to think of much signs of deep friendship she had in that show with Superman.

It more reflects this was around the time DC began pushing the Trinity concept in DC multimedia, so DCAU followed suit even if it didn't fit the dynamic they established in the show between the three of them.

Well, like I said earlier this is a WW fan subforum so how WW is done in adaptations is going to be the topic of debate. Not really on how well the show did GL, Flash, or the New Gods.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-11-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Didn't Batman already have 2 entire shows worth of rouges at that point? And then The Batman was airing on television at the same time JLU was. Didn't really seem like there was a shortage of Batman villains...

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Didn't Batman already have 2 entire shows worth of rouges at that point? And then The Batman was airing on television at the same time JLU was. Didn't really seem like there was a shortage of Batman villains...
    Along with the Nolan films starting up with Batman Begins.

Along with the Nolan films starting up with Batman Begins.
    So Batman gets his villains clipped on one end and two more media outlets to take up their place.

Plus The Batman had some killer renditions of his villains IMO, so it really wasn't a loss that they weren't in JLU.

I think the issue isn't so much which character got it the worst. It's more was character X done well or not. I'd argue Flash and MM got it worse, but citing and delving into all the problems with those two characters isn't (and shouldn't) make WW fans who didn't care for the DCAU spin feel happier about the character's portrayal.

Also, about the lasso, I understood the reasoning when I read about it years ago, but I think it's still mostly unjustifiable. I think there were a lot of missteps in the first season. GL's constructs were essentially non-existent because it's easier for the animators. Superman and MM were Worf Effected to make the plots and action sequences more basic and straightforward. Batman's too good at his job because that's what the writers and a chunk of fans want to see. We all can follow the rationale of why the decisions were made, but none of these made the show any better. I'm just happy the show improved throughout the years. After "The Savage Time" three-parter, there were only a small handful of episodes I didn't like (though, sadly, a bunch of those were WW-centric...). It's regained the top spot among my favorite DC animated shows after the last two seasons of YJ were kind of disappointing...

Mighty Member

Nobody cares about Batman and Hawkgirl in a power comparison with Wonder Woman, they should never even be in such a power comparison.

Flash was much faster, and later even stronger.

Green Lantern was maybe at the core on par, but far more versatile, especially because they even nerfed her equipment. This is a nice vizualization of the versatility difference as example:

https://gfycat.com/plumpacceptableicelandicsheepdog

Martian Manhunter the same like Green Lantern, just that he was a bigger jobber, and less in the action.

Yeah Superman started on par, but got upgraded, and Wonder Woman stayed weak, and ended a bit like nothing else but a Superman in worse.

Aquaman was underwater stronger too.

How was Wonder Woman the 2nd or 2nd to 3th strongest, if even you put Flash just for a while, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter on par, which even ignores all their advantages?

True, but less focus would have been arguably a good thing.

Batman was portrayed as the greatest in the DCAU, and Wonder Woman's rouges and mythologies were used terribly, you could even say Circe seemed more like a Batman villain. You seem to have a very odd idea of what a good portrayal is, showing much trash is not a good thing.

Why are you making it sound like the Batman pairing would have been a good thing?

And that makes it ok to screw up 1 of the most iconic parts of Wonder Woman? Would you also say that letting Superman and the rest not fly for a big part of the series, to highlight Hawkgirls wings, would have been ok?

So yet another, Wonder Woman is part of the trinity, but the writing don't reflects that at all moment?

No they are not, 1 part of what you say is not even true and you listed bad things as good things, and to say the DCAU was bad to anyone but Superman and Batman is not making DCAU Wonder Woman any less bad.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 08-12-2021 at 01:52 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Nobody cares about Batman and Hawkgirl in a power comparison with Wonder Woman, they should never even be in such a power comparison.

Flash was much faster, and later even stronger.

Green Lantern was maybe at the core on par, but far more versatile, especially because they even nerfed her equipment. This is a nice vizualization of the versatility difference as example:

https://gfycat.com/plumpacceptableicelandicsheepdog

Martian Manhunter the same like Green Lantern, just that he was a bigger jobber, and less in the action.

Yeah Superman started on par, but got upgraded, and Wonder Woman stayed weak, and ended a bit like nothing else but a Superman in worse.

Aquaman was underwater stronger too.

How was Wonder Woman the 2nd or 2nd to 3th strongest, if even you put Flash just for a while, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter on par, which even ignores all their advantages?

True, but less focus would have been arguably a good thing.

Batman was portrayed as the greatest in the DCAU, and Wonder Woman's rouges and mythologies were used terribly, you could even say Circe seemed more like a Batman villain. You seem to have a very odd idea of what a good portrayal is, showing much trash is not a good thing.

Why are you making it sound like the Batman pairing would have been a good thing?

And that makes it ok to screw up 1 of the most iconic parts of Wonder Woman? Would you also say that letting Superman and the rest not fly for a big part of the series, to highlight Hawkgirls wings, would have been ok?

So yet another, Wonder Woman is part of the trinity, but the writing don't reflects that at all moment?

No they are not, 1 part of what you say is not even true and you listed bad things as good things, and to say the DCAU was bad to anyone but Superman and Batman is not making DCAU Wonder Woman any less bad.
    Quoted for truth

Which is like saying the GL ring shouldn't be able to let John fly or shoot laser beams because they want to highlight Superman being able to fly or laser vision.
    Not to mention there were a number of times the show ignored J'onn's telepathy like in the scene where Bruce interrogates Deadshot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Just because others got it worse, doesn't change the fact that she was treated badly. She was pretty weak. One dimensional. Her attitude was terrible. She was eye candy for batman etc.
    No, she was treated as one of the best 3-4 characters on the show, with GL being up there, but his mythology used less and never as powerful. Superman was the resident jobber, and Flash was incompetent throughout the first season.