Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Fair enough. I admit, I don't remember much about JL vs. Fatal Five and the scene of Diana swinging a sword at Jessica Cruz to teach her lesson was an eyerolling one for me that I recalled.
    Yeah, what even was that scene?

But yeah, I don't think Timm or anyone on the series actually hated Wonder Woman or envisioned this series as a hit job. They just weren't as reverent to WW material as Timm and co were with Batman (and Superman to a lesser degree).
    It just seemed like a case of not knowing what to do with the character, coupled with disinterest.

On the positive side, I liked Susan Eisenberg as her actress.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    No, she was treated as one of the best 3-4 characters on the show, with GL being up there, but his mythology used less and never as powerful. Superman was the resident jobber, and Flash was incompetent throughout the first season.
    The writing doesn't prove your claim. She was writen as an a spiled man hating brat. A weaklink nowhere near Superman's level. As proven by her getting stomped by his villains. Her villains were treated like garbage as usual and did nothing major in the whole show. Funny you mention hawkgirl saying she got it worse. Because the evidence says otherwise. Hawkgirl had by far the biggest and most impactful arc in the whole show. Her relationship with GL and her transition of leaving and coming back to the team. While WW's biggest character ''development'' was having the hots for batman.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah, what even was that scene?

It just seemed like a case of not knowing what to do with the character, coupled with disinterest.

I do too, and she's generally the voice I read for Wonder Woman. If there's ever a WWTAS I wouldn't mind her coming back so she could voice a Diana who doesn't exist to prop up Batman or Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yes she was. She just wasn't the Marston version.
    Perez sucked all the fun from her character. His version was a preachy, stick-in-the-mud, no fun nag. I missed the Bronze Age Diana.

Fair enough. I admit, I don't remember much about JL vs. Fatal Five and the scene of Diana swinging a sword at Jessica Cruz to teach her lesson was an eyerolling one for me that I recalled.

But yeah, I don't think Timm or anyone on the series actually hated Wonder Woman or envisioned this series as a hit job. They just weren't as reverent to WW material as Timm and co were with Batman (and Superman to a lesser degree).
    That's the scene that made me raise an eyebrow. Usually in the DCAU when Diana starts acting aggressively, it's usually because something was bothering her. Like in Paradise Lost or the Hawk & Dove episode.

The one thing I didn't like about DCAU WW was trying to steal Hawkgirl's mace.

The Cruz scene was either the writer going off of the Nu52 comics or the some corporate mandate to line up the rest of the DCU with the Nu52 comics.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    The writing doesn't prove your claim. She was writen as an a spiled man hating brat. A weaklink nowhere near Superman's level. As proven by her getting stomped by his villains. Her villains were treated like garbage as usual and did nothing major in the whole show. Funny you mention hawkgirl saying she got it worse. Because the evidence says otherwise. Hawkgirl had by far the biggest and most impactful arc in the whole show. Her relationship with GL and her transition of leaving and coming back to the team. While WW's biggest character ''development'' was having the hots for batman.
    Just for the record, she wasn't a man hater, she never acted aggressively towards any men or acted like she was better than them. The only time she ever said anything close to 'man hating' was when Grodd was psychically manipulating the League members into being more confrontational with each other. She was haughty and at worst ill tempered at times but she was never a brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Perez sucked all the fun from her character. His version was a preachy, stick-in-the-mud, no fun nag. I missed the Bronze Age Diana.
    Disagree. Perez's Diana was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That's the scene that made me raise an eyebrow. Usually in the DCAU when Diana starts acting aggressively, it's usually because something was bothering her. Like in Paradise Lost or the Hawk & Dove episode.

The one thing I didn't like about DCAU WW was trying to steal Hawkgirl's mace.

The Cruz scene was either the writer going off of the Nu52 comics or the some corporate mandate to line up the rest of the DCU with the Nu52 comics.

Seconded.

Just for the record, she wasn't a man hater, she never acted aggressively towards any men or acted like she was better than them. The only time she ever said anything close to 'man hating' was when Grodd was psychically manipulating the League members into being more confrontational with each other. She was haughty and at worst ill tempered at times but she was never a brat.

Disagree. Perez's Diana was fun.
    JL kind of went back and forth between whether WW disliked men in general (who didn't dress up like a bat). In that Secret Society episode, Jon Stewart said all the mean stuff they said to one another were words they meant that they otherwise kept to themselves. There's also that "Fury" episode when this was said:

I dunno, at times the character just seems really unlikable. As I've mentioned before, I really disliked her constant bickering with HG. At best, I felt their jabs at one another were just by the writers to make them something like the Odd Couple. At worst, they were the only girls on the team and the writers elected to make them like the teenagers from Mean Girls. And why did she have a stick up her butt in "Hawk and Dove"? That episode is on my DO NOT REWATCH - WASTE OF TIME list, but she was written kind of out of character. She was gonna beat the crap out of some thug because he ruined her day off until MM demanded she back off.

I'm not saying she was consistently written as irritable and unmerciful, but the instances when she was really seem to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    The Golden Age version was just as preachy if not more. As for "Stick in the mud" and "fun", let's just say those words mean very different things depending on who you are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Golden Age version was just as preachy if not more. As for "Stick in the mud" and "fun", let's just say those words mean very different things depending on who you are asking.
    The Golden Age version had a lot of sass, she was once in a circus, she did all kinds of crazy stuff with the Holliday Girls, she was in parades, she played games with the amazons, etc

And while the GA Diana could often be like a Telemarketer always selling you on the amazon philosophy, she was even more often like an aerobics instructor, pumping you full of confidence and excitement. She was anything but boring. She was the biggest hype man in the world.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-12-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The Golden Age version had a lot of sass, she was once in a circus, she did all kinds of crazy stuff with the Holliday Girls, she was in parades, she played games with the amazons, etc

And while the GA Diana could often be like a Telemarketer always selling you on the amazon philosophy, she was even more often like an aerobics instructor, pumping you full of confidence and excitement. She was anything but boring. She was the biggest hype man in the world.
    And I never said she was boring (not that it means she was well written). I'm saying Perez's Diana wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    It seems like the real way to make her stand out would've been to not use MMH at all so that her lasso could be used to compel people to tell the truth. The Flash could've phased more and GL could've used his constructs in place of J'onn's shapeshifting. You could also just get rid of Hawkgirl and use Wonder Woman as the traitor instead, a la Amazon's attack. You could swap Vandal Savage out for more Felix Faust, Ares, or Circe, making it more of a Wonder Woman show and less of a Justice League one. And then cut out any flirtation not related to Steve Trevor, since pairing her with any of her team mates would've drawn complaints and been divisive.
    Yes, I imagine most WW fans would pick a WW solo cartoon over a Justice League show.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    JL kind of went back and forth between whether WW disliked men in general (who didn't dress up like a bat). In that Secret Society episode, Jon Stewart said all the mean stuff they said to one another were words they meant that they otherwise kept to themselves. There's also that "Fury" episode when this was said:

I dunno, at times the character just seems really unlikable. As I've mentioned before, I really disliked her constant bickering with HG. At best, I felt their jabs at one another were just by the writers to make them something like the Odd Couple. At worst, they were the only girls on the team and the writers elected to make them like the teenagers from Mean Girls. And why did she have a stick up her butt in "Hawk and Dove"? That episode is on my DO NOT REWATCH - WASTE OF TIME list, but she was written kind of out of character. She was gonna beat the crap out of some thug because he ruined her day off until MM demanded she back off.

I'm not saying she was consistently written as irritable and unmerciful, but the instances when she was really seem to stand out.
    Yeah, the show kind of went back and forth imo if Diana actually did have prejudices against men.

I also didn't care for the stuff with Hawkgirl also. I think they said they went that route because they didn't want the two female members to get along just because they were both the girl members but eventually it got to the point where it felt like "Woman, am I right guys?"
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-13-2021 at 07:10 AM.

I also didn't care for the stuff with Hawkgirl also. I think they said they went that route because they didn't want the two female members to get along just because they were both the girl members but eventually it got to the point where it felt like "Woman, am I right guys?"
    That's exactly how it felt like, cause they never had much of a reason to bicker. Funny thing is, Diana's rivalry with Hawkgirl would've made far more sense if she was actually written in-character: as someone who looks for peaceful solutions vs Hawkgirl's "punch first asks questions later" approach.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

God, this was a great version of the character. Marston really created a masterpiece in his vision of WW, didn't he?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

So....I'm curious about people's thoughts regarding the latest issue of Justice League Infinity, where we get a Diana/Darkseid focused story. I'll let the cover do the talking:

justice-league-infinity-4-header.jpg

Kinda surprised they went there with these two. They barely interacted during Darkseid's two appearances following the formation of the League. This is a continuation of the DCAU canon, though the stories focus mostly on the multiverse concept.

Anyone read it?

I read it out of curiosity. The Darkseid and Wonder Woman who hookup are not the ones from the show but from another multiverse, the main DCAU Wonder Woman meets up with that version of Darkseid because of multiverse shenanigan's.

It's not particularly egregious but I do agree with what others brought up that it kind of highlights the problems with DCAU Wonder Woman in that their go-to idea was another romantic partner storyline. Though it's kind of amusing as just going off the flashbacks, sounds like aside from hooking up with Darkseid that alternate version of Wonder Woman was closer to comic's Wonder Woman personality than the actual DCAU version was.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    So....I'm curious about people's thoughts regarding the latest issue of Justice League Infinity, where we get a Diana/Darkseid focused story. I'll let the cover do the talking:

justice-league-infinity-4-header.jpg

Kinda surprised they went there with these two. They barely interacted during Darkseid's two appearances following the formation of the League. This is a continuation of the DCAU canon, though the stories focus mostly on the multiverse concept.

Anyone read it?
    I thought it was a great issue, I enjoyed it. Our Diana didnt get with Darkseid so they didnt really GO THERE with them. There are also a lot of unseen adventures that the DCAU went on that we havent seen so I didnt mind them interacting.

A WW that is able to "defeat" Darkseid by talking him into peace is HUGE. She did more than Superman or Batman have been able to do with a villain.