Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I'd say there was some of Perez' Diana in the DCAU in the early episodes where she was naive and inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

A rather bold statement to make given the first movie's take on Diana, heavily influenced by Perez, was immensely popular. Not to mention, that version never appeared in the show so we can't know if she never would have been popular.

If there are I've yet to see them.
    The audience of the Justice League show was very different from the audience of the Wonder Woman movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Nah Perez Wonder Woman is a bad example. Perez had a lot of good things, but his Diana wasn't very interesting.
    Even a wet paper would have been more interessting than DCAU Wonder Woman was.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 07-13-2021 at 03:33 AM.

The audience of the Justice League show was very different from the audience of the Wonder Woman movie.
    Like how? They are both mainstream audiences.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Power-wise she was fine (aside from the nerfing of the lasso), she was shown as an equal to Superman most of the time. Yeah, she had a couple of embarrassing moments, but Superman had it worse in s1.
    That is just not true, both were comparably nerfed in season 1, and Wonder Woman stayed like that unlike Superman which yet again portrayed her as a weakling in effect.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 07-13-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Like how? They are both mainstream audiences.
    I don't know what you mean by mainstream audiences. Justice League was designed as a saturday morning cartoon, mostly for the typical 7 year old boys and to some degree girls. And only adults that liked superheroes specifically would watch that cartoon.

Wonder Woman was a movie watched by all kinds of demographics in great number.
    Last edited by Alpha; 07-13-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I don't know what you mean by mainstream audiences. Justice League was designed as a saturday morning cartoon, mostly for the typical 7 year old boys and to some degree girls. And only adults that liked superheroes specifically would watch that cartoon.

Wonder Woman was a movie watched by all kinds of demographics in great number.
    I am pretty sure you are wrong about Saturday morning TV. If I remember right, it was on Cartoon Network but on their primetime slots, at night. It was very much aimed at a mature audience.

What exactly do you think is the mature audience of Cartoon Network in the year 2001? It's clearly not "mainstream". Some adults watched the show, but they were a large minority. And the George Perez personality definitely isn't popular with 7 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Power-wise she was fine (aside from the nerfing of the lasso), she was shown as an equal to Superman most of the time. Yeah, she had a couple of embarrassing moments, but Superman had it worse in s1.
    Yeah, I was more annoyed at the lasso bit than stuff like power levels. Like saying GLs shouldn't be able to make constructs (which not like they made much interesting ones on the show to begin with ).

What exactly do you think is the mature audience of Cartoon Network in the year 2001? It's clearly not "mainstream". Some adults watched the show, but they were a large minority. And the George Perez personality definitely isn't popular with 7 year olds.
    I seriously doubt 7 year olds were the primary target given the type of show it was.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've never seen a David Lynch movie before so this reference means nothing to me.
    I have, and the comparison doesn't really hold up.

A rather bold statement to make given the first movie's take on Diana, heavily influenced by Perez, was immensely popular. Not to mention, that version never appeared in the show so we can't know if she never would have been popular.

If there are I've yet to see them.
    Gadot's WW in her first movie was like a mix of Perez and Marston.

I definitely think the JLU show would have benefited immensely from using either Perez or Marston as templates, or a competent fusion of both, instead of the bland non-entity we got that doesn't stand for anything aside from being a grouchy straw feminist who crushes on Batman.

Given the types of shows that Cartoon Network played in their later hours, it was definitely not geared for the 7 year olds. I am not sure where you are coming up with that. And what do you classify as mainstream? How do you know that adults watching the show were a minority? If you have evidence, please share it since I think you are way off base on this.

I know cartoon network promoted it asa kids shows. What do you think was the target audience?

I know cartoon network promoted it asa kids shows. What do you think was the target audience?
    Again, show the proof, or a link as to how cartoon network promoted the show.

It was consistently rated Y7 which would denote it was at the very least made with seven year olds in mind.
    y7.jpg