Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Are the Schumacher movies in the same universe as the Burton movies?

Keep in mind, I haven't read Batman 89 so they may resolve this. But do we know if they are meant to be the same universe?
    Assassinate Putin!

Well, despite the huge shift of art style. actors, and showrunners after Batman Returns, yes. Even Bat-nipples, Schwarzen-Freeze, Riddler-Carey, and Tommy Lee Two-Face.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, not only are Alfred and Gordon the same there are references to both Catwoman and the Joker.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

If you take the Burton and Schumacher movies as a whole, Batman actually has a nice character arc.

He starts out as a weird loner that fights crime because it's the only thing that makes sense for him and he doesn't care who he hurts and by the end he's surrounded himself with a new family and realized that killing people doesn't make you feel better.

It's certainly better than Nolan's "I don't know how to be Batman. I don't want to be Batman anymore. I quit being Batman AND Bruce Wayne so I can disappear and start a new life with a criminal I barely know."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If you take the Burton and Schumacher movies as a whole, Batman actually has a nice character arc.

He starts out as a weird loner that fights crime because it's the only thing that makes sense for him and he doesn't care who he hurts and by the end he's surrounded himself with a new family and realized that killing people doesn't make you feel better.

It's certainly better than Nolan's "I don't know how to be Batman. I don't want to be Batman anymore. I quit being Batman AND Bruce Wayne so I can disappear and start a new life with a criminal I barely know."
    There was definitely a lot Nolan got right, but yeah that ending wasn't the greatest. I get that it was supposed to be a "happy ending" but it just felt off with the other pieces.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There was definitely a lot Nolan got right, but yeah that ending wasn't the greatest. I get that it was supposed to be a "happy ending" but it just felt off with the other pieces.
    That ending is terrible. The third movie in general is just not good imo.

Astonishing Member

It was supposed to, but according to The Flash leaks, they don't consider Schumacher movies canon to Keaton's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It was supposed to, but according to The Flash leaks, they don't consider Schumacher movies canon to Keaton's Batman.
    Who is "they" because WB certainly did at the time and seem to still now as all the films are included on a single DVD. Once upon a time movies just recast and moved about their business as if nothing ever happened. Sure, if it makes it fun for you then go ahead and create as many separate fannon continuities as you like; I've read dozens about James Bond's various actors over the years but you have to realize that those are just fun little fan stories and the truth is that the studio didn't care about changing the actor or even the tone and made no distinction when changes were made.

Rebooting with a new actor and a new continuity is a really new concept and the jury is still out on whether it's a good call or not.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 12-26-2022 at 07:17 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    That ending is terrible. The third movie in general is just not good imo.
    Yeah, that opening scene didn't earn the 'BRAVO NOLAN' Baneposting meme reputation for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Just like Superman. Superman Returns ignored Superman 3 and 4. It seems that both franchises split into two continuities after the second film. For Batman, one path leads to Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, the other leads to the Batman 89 comic and The Flash. For Superman, one path leads to Superman 3, Superman 4, and Supergirl, the other to Superman Returns.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Originally, yes. Batman 89, Returns, Forever and Robin were originally the same Batman in the same universe despite the drastically apposing artistic styles Burton and Schumacher had.
    Now, however, with the advent of the Flash movie and the release of the '89 comic (which features Billy D Williams' Harvey Dent (not Tommy Lee Jones) rise as Two-Face); Forever and Robin are set in a different universe, with the "Burtonverse" now being Batman '89, Returns, '89 comic and Flash.
    Interesting trivia, with the rise of the new Multiverse after the Dark Crisis, Batman 89 and Superman 78 are set on the same Earth (Earth 789).

Couldn't the four movies (accepting the 89 comic as a divergent universe) still be in the same universe even with Keaton appearing in Flash? What requires them to be separated? Is it just Keaton returning? I don't see that as being an issue considering how many actors played Batman during the franchise, we were always supposed to see him as the same person regardless of the actor.
    Couldn't the engagement announcement of Bruce and Selina from the Arrowverse still be seen as them reconciling after the fourth movie?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Couldn't the four movies (accepting the 89 comic as a divergent universe) still be in the same universe even with Keaton appearing in Flash? What requires them to be separated? Is it just Keaton returning? I don't see that as being an issue considering how many actors played Batman during the franchise, we were always supposed to see him as the same person regardless of the actor.
    Couldn't the engagement announcement of Bruce and Selina from the Arrowverse still be seen as them reconciling after the fourth movie?
    I love the sequels but it makes more sense to put the Schumacher movies in a divergent continuity. How else do you explain Harvey Dent changing ethnicities?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Keep in mind, I haven't read Batman 89 so they may resolve this. But do we know if they are meant to be the same universe?
    I thought they were as Forever got started as a Burton and Keaton project. But it could be considered seperate from the Burton films or you could redo them in the style of the Burton films.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    I love the sequels but it makes more sense to put the Schumacher movies in a divergent continuity. How else do you explain Harvey Dent changing ethnicities?
    I get it, but I just look at it in the same way I look at recasting Bruce. Even just considering Schumacher's movie we have two actors playing Bruce.