Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    King is what happens when you splice Grant Morrison and Bendis, and subtract all the talent.
    Does Bendis still have any talent?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

I am not a Bendis fan, but his Iron Man was okay before it got split into two separate books and when they started exploring Tony's "real" parents after the adopted stuff from Gillen's run.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-31-2023 at 06:48 PM.

Fantastic Member

When is issue 12 out?

--jthree

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    When is issue 12 out?

--jthree
    According to this link, as of Sunday the 19th, the book's due for release on February 28th. If a preview is released this week, the 28th is pretty much set.

https://www.dc.com/comics/the-human-...uman-target-12
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member

The Human Target #12 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Greg Smallwood

Ultimate Member

Thus ends the national nightmare

Eh, I'm still betting that Chance fakes his death (like he's probably done before, like in "Tales of the Human Target") and lets Ice give herself away, maybe by going directly after Lex in a very open way.
    Because it wouldn't be King if he didn't let some hero ruin their reputation and end up a villain.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eskana View Post
    Eh, I'm still betting that Chance fakes his death (like he's probably done before, like in "Tales of the Human Target") and lets Ice give herself away, maybe by going directly after Lex in a very open way.
    Because it wouldn't be King if he didn't let some hero ruin their reputation and end up a villain.
    Very true.

Can someone please tell me why people act like King is this great writer? It seems like all anyone does with him is read his promos, and not a damn thing that he's actually written.

I mean, in this damn mini, he used the most racist origin of Ice and no one's really said a thing.

Because turning someone into a villain has nothing to do with the quality of the writing. I dislike many things that Moore wrote, but I'm not going to pretend that he is a bad writer. And no, I'm not saying that King is as good as Moore.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Because turning someone into a villain has nothing to do with the quality of the writing. I dislike many things that Moore wrote, but I'm not going to pretend that he is a bad writer. And no, I'm not saying that King is as good as Moore.
    In all seriousness, I'm hardpressed to remember a good or well executed story by Tom King yet.

His stories rely on retcons that rarely compliment the characters or narrative. His plots are railroad at best, when he's not pulling an M. Night on a character.

This story best demonstrates his tendency, really, as he's relying on two very conflicting stories to make it work.

As in, Judd Winick's super racist origin story for Ice, and Ice's death at the hands of Overmaster.

In Winick's story, cited by Tom, Ice is a delusional Roma meta who killed her parents.

In the Judgment Day storyline, Ice's powerup (and subsequent death) came as a direct result of a mission to her homeland.

That's just one of the many conflicts with this story, to say little of the poor internal logic.

Tom King is a poor writer, despite people wanting him to be otherwise. He might have some neat concepts, but when ink meets paper, he usually fumbles.

I've read:

Mister Miracle and Vision which are tremendous stories.

Also in the very good pile:
    Rorschach
    Omega Men
    Sheriff of Babylon

Not so good is Strange Adventures, primarily the ending.

Heroes in Crisis sucked. Big time suck.

Human Target is far from his best and it does force characters (Ice, in particular) into roles they really don't fit into.

Danger Street is looking fun although obviously out of continuity.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I feel like im not smart enough to properly understand the ending! But enjoyed it all nevertheless!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I've read:

Mister Miracle and Vision which are tremendous stories.

Also in the very good pile:
    Rorschach
    Omega Men
    Sheriff of Babylon

Not so good is Strange Adventures, primarily the ending.

Heroes in Crisis sucked. Big time suck.

Human Target is far from his best and it does force characters (Ice, in particular) into roles they really don't fit into.

Danger Street is looking fun although obviously out of continuity.
    Almost 100% in agreement. But, I would put Omega Men up there as my #1, with Mr. Miracle and Vision close behind.

And on a character level, despite his claims of loving the character, his Booster Gold is pretty bad. As awful as Heroes in Crisis was, that was the closest he's done to a palatable Booster.

Amazing Member

The best part of this issue is that it's the last.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eskana View Post
    Well, did it?
    --jthree