Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Dunno how it'll be and if Tom will overkill the format and structure style writing or whatever ... but without pre-judging I do think Human Target is one of those kind of perfect really, really niche little corners of the DCU for him to screw around with. Quite a bit even moreso than like, Omega Men or Adam Strange or others. Could be cool.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

As I said earlier, this is either going to be very very good, or very very bad.

What a good version might look like: Tom King uses the inherent absurdity of the JLI and the Human Target crossing paths to cleverly subvert his own tropes (characters with death wishes, super-heroes are inherently broken soldiers with truckloads of PTSD, etc.). Hijinks ensue, wicked laughs are had, and a genuinely complicated whodunnit unfolds to a satisfying conclusion. Eisners all around.

What a bad version might look like: Tom King presents the notion that the Human Target might have some sort of death wish as some sort of stunning insight into the character. A whodunnit is launched, but King is less interested in resolving it logically than in conveying that G'Nort isn't really comic relief - he's a tragic, war-whipped doggie who can't be around humans any more, and has to be put to sleep. Ice and Guy are in a mutually abusive relationship. Booster keeps messing with time for no good reason. Eisners all around.

I'd love to see the former. I suspect we'll see something closer to the latter. Prove me wrong, Mr. King!
    Last edited by ducklord; 07-13-2021 at 10:42 AM.

The only thing I know for sure about this project is that it will feel from 4 to 6 issues longer than it should be. Reading maxiseries like Strange Adventures feels a lot like watching the Snyder Cut: if you close your eyes you can hear echoes of a voice in the distance yelling "I'm a genius! And geniuses don't leave anything on the cutting room floor!".

I might forgive him for his horrid depiction of Booster Gold in his Batman run + Heroes in Crisis if he manages not to s*it the bed with his character in this one. Unfortunately I see that possibility as less likely than Mr. King deciding to outdo himself and s*itting the bed with all the characters of Giffen and DeMatteis's JLI.

Yeah I will check it out but I don't get why King always needs 12 issues for his limited series. I can understand with Rorschach, it's Watchmen, but neither Mister Miracle nor Strange Adventures needed to be 12 issues. I was surprised to learn that Supergirl: WoT was only going to be eight.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah I will check it out but I don't get why King always needs 12 issues for his limited series. I can understand with Rorschach, it's Watchmen, but neither Mister Miracle nor Strange Adventures needed to be 12 issues. I was surprised to learn that Supergirl: WoT was only going to be eight.

I think mister miracle was perfect at 12 issues. Strange adventures and Rorschach I haven't finished but they seem fine. King can't do short or long. I think he's found his niche and I think it's perfect for him. It's a win win, keep him out of continuity and also allow him to take on characters and deconstruct them. It's really a perfect compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Supergirl was supposed to be 12 issues but they reduced it to 8 because it would not sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    Supergirl was supposed to be 12 issues but they reduced it to 8 because it would not sell.
    Really? That’s interesting. Usually I see Tom King on a mini series and I say here’s my money, but I wasn’t really interested from the previews I saw. Might pick up the trade if I hear good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    DC really has no confidence in Supergirl, huh?

Sounds like this is right in King's wheelhouse, so definite purchase from me. Always curious to see his formal approach to a project, even if not always successful.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DC really has no confidence in Supergirl, huh?
    DC has no confidence in the overwhelmingly white male superhero reader, yes, and for good reason. This audience has consistently shown a disinterest in non-sexualized superheroine comics.

Outside of that insular market of man children, DC has plenty of confidence in Supergirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    DC has no confidence in the overwhelmingly white male superhero reader, yes, and for good reason. This audience has consistently shown a disinterest in non-sexualized superheroine comics.

Outside of that insular market of man children, DC has plenty of confidence in Supergirl

Eye roll.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

I mean, I think Supergirl is plenty attractive without being overly-sexualized, but that's just my take.

Nobody's going to say Mellisa Benoist is unattractive.

Extraordinary Member

HUMAN TARGET #2
    Written by TOM KING
    Art by GREG SMALLWOOD
    Cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
    Variant cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE and DANNY MIKI
    $4.99 US | 40 PGS | 2 of 12
    ON SALE 11/30/21
    17+

Christopher Chance now has 11 days to solve his own murder. With almost no leads, it would seem the case of his own death has gone cold…but it’s about to get a whole lot colder. Enter Ice, former member of Justice League International, arriving at Chance’s office with some unexpected information…and mysterious intentions.

HUMAN TARGET #3
    Written by TOM KING
    Art and cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
    Variant cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | 3 of 12 | $4.99 US Variant (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 12/28/21
    17+

Christopher Chance is a man on a deadline and working to solve a crime that might be unsolvable. Despite his better judgment, he’s falling for his lead suspect, and her violent ex-boyfriend isn’t happy about it. Oh, and that ex? He’s a Green Lantern.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This looks like a perfect book for Tom and I've never heard of the artist, but looking at the art makes me want to look at other work he's drawn. Also nice to see Ice havy any sort of role these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This looks like a perfect book for Tom and I've never heard of the artist, but looking at the art makes me want to look at other work he's drawn. Also nice to see Ice havy any sort of role these days.
    Even if the solicits indicate she's suspected of being a killer...although so early in the series I have to imagine there's a twist (then again with King, you never know).