Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    DC has no confidence in the overwhelmingly white male superhero reader, yes, and for good reason. This audience has consistently shown a disinterest in non-sexualized superheroine comics.

Outside of that insular market of man children, DC has plenty of confidence in Supergirl
    Accurate.

edit:

I know it's only been two issues, but I'm really loving this series so far. But then again (for the most part) I really enjoyed his Batman run and his Mr. Miracle mini. That said, I have similar complaints as everyone else about Heroes in Crisis, but I kinda just shrugged that off, tbh. And that's saying something since Wally was one of my favorite characters from the '90s.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 12-18-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    G'nort - Highly likely. The opportunity to kill a dog might be too hard for King to pass up.
    Rocket Red - Turning a whodunnit into an affair steeped with international intrigue? Also in King's wheelhouse.
    Ice - Possible misdirect, as he'll actually kill Icemaiden.
    Actually it could be Rocket Red if King plays into that angle that the original rocket red was a traitor (well a Manhunter anyway) and died only to be replaced a second Rocket Red who lasted a longer time.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Actually it could be Rocket Red if King plays into that angle that the original rocket red was a traitor (well a Manhunter anyway) and died only to be replaced a second Rocket Red who lasted a longer time.
    Probably be the least controversial conclusion to this book.

Extraordinary Member

Another process thread from Smallwood.

Also the book will be on hiatus after issue #6 to give him time to finish the art:

https://twitter.com/SavageSmallwood/...30691568836610

This series is just so freaking good and it just keeps getting better. The most recent issue was great on so many levels.

BANNED

Yet more delays after so many already. That about does it for my interest in this series. Apart from arbitrarily shoehorning JLI after retconing Luthor into being behind the cadre which wasn't the case originally if IIRC, then all the retconing of Ice being cold and sleeping around when it was fire who does that sort of thing, having Jonn crying and insecure around fire, Guy fearing hal when his major characterisation is he never backs down from a fight from anybody and so on. What a hot mess.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    Yet more delays after so many already. That about does it for my interest in this series. Apart from arbitrarily shoehorning JLI after retconing Luthor into being behind the cadre which wasn't the case originally if IIRC, then all the retconing of Ice being cold and sleeping around when it was fire who does that sort of thing, having Jonn crying and insecure around fire, Guy fearing hal when his major characterisation is he never backs down from a fight from anybody and so on. What a hot mess.
    How has Ice been sleeping around?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    How has Ice been sleeping around?
    I think they are referencing Ice sleeping with Chris Chance in the most recent issue?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think they are referencing Ice sleeping with Chris Chance in the most recent issue?
    I kinda figured, but he is literally the only other person that we know of that she has slept with other than Guy. Not exactly sleeping around, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I kinda figured, but he is literally the only other person that we know of that she has slept with other than Guy. Not exactly sleeping around, you know?
    Yeah I see what you mean, it doesn’t really add up unless you confuse Ice with fire for that scene with Martian Manhunter.
    Words to live by.

It's the thing where a fan ships two characters together so hard (or takes two characters being in a relationship so utterly for granted) that they regard any instance of either of them being involved in any way, long-term or short-term, in the main canon or not, with somebody else and act like that character has become the Whore (or Gigolo) of Babylon.

An extreme example from outside of DC Comics: Back in the 2000's, Dark Horse launched what was then the 'canon' continuation of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with the "Season Eight" comics. The first story arc revealed, among other things, that a new character had a crush on one of the characters from the show, Xander, while showing Buffy herself having a dream that hinted at a possible attraction to him as well. Xander was unaware of either of these things at the time, and even had a line of dialogue that established his love life had been put on hold since the show had ended. Fandom, however, largely overreacted to the very idea that he might have a new love interset, because many were hoping his previous interest, who died in the show's series finale, would be brought back from the dead (or that his grief for her would be further explored). One poster on a BtVS forum I'm on said that Xander "needs to slow down with the women." A dream by one girl, a crush from another, neither of which he was aware of nor was he pursuing any romance at all -- and yet, Xander was the one being called on to "slow down."

Alternately, I understand that Ice has cast in the role of "femme fatale" in this book, and there's always been an undertone in noir stories that femme fatales are more sexually licentious than society dictates women are "allowed" to be. So that may very well be a factor in somebody describing her as "sleeping around."

BANNED

Good Grief. I wasn't calling her as licentious or anything as your dirty mind seem to think you sissy sluts. [joke] I meant the opposite that she was a shrinking violet in her JLI days who was regarded as the sweet innocent naive endearing character who would always be sort of the heart of the team instead of the hussy that king has turned her into for the sake of his trashy "Noir" storyline. Why the hell couldn't he use fire who is sort of a tramp to romance Chance? He comes across as a dog who just wants to interject his female characters with trampy characterisation. Take Catwoman who either meows like a loony under him or goes full on crazy slashing throats like it's nothing to her while fucking on rooftops. Dude comes across as seriously disturbed going by his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    Good Grief. I wasn't calling her as licentious or anything as your dirty mind seem to think you sissy sluts. [joke] I meant the opposite that she was a shrinking violet in her JLI days who was regarded as the sweet innocent naive endearing character who would always be sort of the heart of the team instead of the hussy that king has turned her into for the sake of his trashy "Noir" storyline. Why the hell couldn't he use fire who is sort of a tramp to romance Chance? He comes across as a dog who just wants to interject his female characters with trampy characterisation. Take Catwoman who either meows like a loony under him or goes full on crazy slashing throats like it's nothing to her while fucking on rooftops. Dude comes across as seriously disturbed going by his stories.
    The fact that you just called Fire "trampy" doesn't make you look any better. At the bare minimum, it shows you weren't paying attention when (or IF) you read the original JLI stories. Was Fire portrayed as sexy and both confident and at ease with her sexuality? Absolutely. Was she depicted as sleeping around? Not at all. You're really pushing the whole "Madonna/Whore" complex here.

Solid read & fantastic art. I haven't been the biggest Tom King fan, but this good stuff, even if it's slow moving.

I always viewed Martian Manhunter as morally infallible so I was a bit surprised by the affair.....but maybe the Martian is vulnerable like the rest of us.

Neverthless it's nice to go down memory lane with the JLI, enjoying every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Solid read & fantastic art. I haven't been the biggest Tom King fan, but this good stuff, even if it's slow moving.

I always viewed Martian Manhunter as morally infallible so I was a bit surprised by the affair.....but maybe the Martian is vulnerable like the rest of us.

Neverthless it's nice to go down memory lane with the JLI, enjoying every minute of it.
    I mean it’s not really an affair if neither are married is it? The way it was described here made it sound more like a secret friends with benefits type thing they don’t tell the rest of league about.
    Words to live by.