Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Solid read & fantastic art. I haven't been the biggest Tom King fan, but this good stuff, even if it's slow moving.

I always viewed Martian Manhunter as morally infallible so I was a bit surprised by the affair.....but maybe the Martian is vulnerable like the rest of us.

Neverthless it's nice to go down memory lane with the JLI, enjoying every minute of it.
    It makes sense when you think about it as an Elseworlds Black Label title with everyone re-framed around it being a Noir story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It makes sense when you think about it as an Elseworlds Black Label title with everyone re-framed around it being a Noir story.
    Ah, that's what Black Label means. I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing. The title was recommended by a friend so I picked it up, despite being Tom King weary.

Makes sense, all good. I wasn't really bothered by the Martian Manhunter affair, I'm enjoying the read.

I always forget that Black Label is basically a fancy name for Elseworlds with less different realities.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member
    Last edited by Hypo; 05-11-2022 at 05:17 PM.

See Tom King write your favorite JLI characters even more .

I'm an old school JLI fan AND I'm loving this series. Cannot wait!

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I'm an old school JLI fan AND I'm loving this series. Cannot wait!
    I have only read Kings Heroes in Crisis (which I hate) and the first 10 issues of his Batman run (which bored me to tears) but last night I read the first issue of Human Target on DC Universe App and I really enjoyed it. I am a HUGE JLI fan so I am looking forward to seeing them but know next to nothing of The Human Target. So far I like it though. I will keep in mind it is basically an Elseworld because I heard some out of character stuff happens with the JLI.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I have only read Kings Heroes in Crisis (which I hate) and the first 10 issues of his Batman run (which bored me to tears) but last night I read the first issue of Human Target on DC Universe App and I really enjoyed it. I am a HUGE JLI fan so I am looking forward to seeing them but know next to nothing of The Human Target. So far I like it though. I will keep in mind it is basically an Elseworld because I heard some out of character stuff happens with the JLI.
    King's Mister Miracle and Sheriff of Babylon were both outstanding.

Interestingly enough, Human Target has had TWO different TV shows: in the early '90s starring pop singer Rick Springfield, and in the 2000s, starring Mark Valley (from Fringe).
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    King's Mister Miracle and Sheriff of Babylon were both outstanding.

Interestingly enough, Human Target has had TWO different TV shows: in the early '90s starring pop singer Rick Springfield, and in the 2000s, starring Mark Valley (from Fringe).
    The first season of Mark Valley's Human Target was great. Then they revamped it and butchered it

Fantastic Member

Has anyone thought that the Chance might have figured out that Ice was the double agent, and set up this scenario with Gardner and a few others. I haven't been following the storyline, but I wonder if King is trying to fool the audience with our expectations. Again, I haven't considered anything here, and in the opening, Chance was "poisoned" and I don't know how that would figure into my theory here.

--jthree

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Has anyone thought that the Chance might have figured out that Ice was the double agent, and set up this scenario with Gardner and a few others. I haven't been following the storyline, but I wonder if King is trying to fool the audience with our expectations. Again, I haven't considered anything here, and in the opening, Chance was "poisoned" and I don't know how that would figure into my theory here.

--jthree
    It would be an interesting twist but do we know of anyone involved in the story that could have set that up?

Unless Chance is a huge dick and just killed Guy to sell the deception.

I think it will be revealed that they were all in on it. (ironically, except for Guy, who would've adopted a more direct approach rather than poison)

To go out on a limb, maybe the whole reason Ice got involved with him was so that once he fell in love with her, he'd at least understand their motives of wanting to avenge her murder - because he'd be one more person who loved Ice. Tom King likes to (and ymmv in terms of his success rate) take a different vantage point of the violence we've become accustomed to seeing/reading. Challenging our conceptions and making us question our own ethics in these situations apart from the comfortable way in which we're used to seeing them play out. Having the whole team be guilty then bringing Chance into the fold rather than trying to cover up the crime, making him complicit in the murder attempt (even if the result was his death), might be a King way to examine an initially simple whodunnit.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-03-2022 at 05:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think it will be revealed that they were all in on it. (ironically, except for Guy, who would've adopted a more direct approach rather than poison)

To go out on a limb, maybe the whole reason Ice got involved with him was so that once he fell in love with her, he'd at least understand their motives of wanting to avenge her murder - because he'd be one more person who loved Ice. Tom King likes to (and ymmv in terms of his success rate) take a different vantage point of the violence we've become accustomed to seeing/reading. Challenging our conceptions and making us question our own ethics in these situations apart from the comfortable way in which we're used to seeing them play out. Having the whole team be guilty then bringing Chance into the fold rather than trying to cover up the crime, making him complicit in the murder attempt (even if the result was his death), might be a King way to examine an initially simple whodunnit.
    I mean it's interesting....it's also Murder on the Orient Express but it is interesting. He fakes us out by pretending he's copying D.O.A. when he's actually copying something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I mean it's interesting....it's also Murder on the Orient Express but it is interesting
    It is?!?! Man, I guess I don't need to watch that now....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It is?!?! Man, I guess I don't need to watch that now....
    Aw crap, sorry. It's such an old story I didn't think to spoiler it especially with the remake in the last decade, sorry about that.