Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eras of the F4

I really liked the Len Wein/George Perez way to short run on the book.
    FF #191 is one of my favorite issues.
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I really liked the Len Wein/George Perez way to short run on the book.
    FF #191 is one of my favorite issues.
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    That whole era, though it encompassed different artists or writers was a fave. It doesn't get enough love!
    From maybe late # 150s til early #220s - Like Sienkiewitz and Perez during the era.

But the whole FF resign and then Reed vs Doom in # 200 are so very classic!
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    That whole era, though it encompassed different artists or writers was a fave. It doesn't get enough love!
    From maybe late # 150s til early #220s - Like Sienkiewitz and Perez during the era.

But the whole FF resign and then Reed vs Doom in # 200 are so very classic!
    Those issues were when I started reading the Fantastic Four and became a fan.

[QUOTE=K7P5V;5631758]
    OMG! Glad to be feeling the love for the Walt Simonson run. Truly an underrated classic (IMHO):

Now this one I need, as I unfortunately didn't buy this volume while it was still in print, now it's going for stupid prices, the Epic Collection 'The New Fantastic Four.' Boy do I regret missing that one, I hope they reprint it.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    What eras of the team have you liked and you feel deserve more acclaim than they have received.

Highest on my list is the Steve Englehart run. STeve is a top writer. He has written a lot of my favorite runs of various comics.

The only thing that I think hurt the success of his run was less than stellar art.
    Englehart's run was a HUGE disappointment for me. I mean, I was really excited for the New Fantastic Four, with Ben leading Johnny, Crystal and Ms Marvel (Sharon Ventura). It was different from what we had up to then, but it still felt like the FF (pretty much as in another favorite phase of mine, when Rich Buckler was illustrating it, and the team was Reed, Medusa, Johnny in his version of the original Torch's costume,and Ben. It was more team and a bit less family. I liked the change). Then, a couple of issues into the run, Eglehart does a 180°, changes Ben into that fugly Pinapple Thing, leggy and georgeous Ms Marvel into the moppy She-Thing, and starts to set up the Monster squad, with Crystal soon leaving and Johnny going full-time Super-Nova. I really desliked it.
    But, my favorite era of the 4 was Ryan and DeFalco. IMHO, it managed to capture the anything can happen vibe of the Lee and Kirby era with a 90's twist. I really liked it.
    Other favorites - Claremont/Larroca, Carlos Pacheco/Merino, McDuffie/Pelletier and Waid and Wieringo. All really great in my book.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 07-17-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Glad to be feeling the love for the Walt Simonson run. Truly an underrated classic (IMHO):

Now this one I need, as I unfortunately didn't buy this volume while it was still in print, now it's going for stupid prices, the Epic Collection 'The New Fantastic Four.' Boy do I regret missing that one, I hope they reprint it.
    I know, right?! Personally, I'm hoping for an omnibus. I'm even hoping they'll choose this image for the cover (LOL):
    https://comicbookinvest.com/2019/11/...antastic-four/