Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #775 Discussion/Spoilers

Diana, Boston and Ratatoskr make their way to the Graveyard of the Gods. Diana saves all the gods Janus has slain by winning a contest of Riddles with the groundskeeper, the one exception being the primordial god Chaos.

Boston departs and Diana makes her way back to Olympus and stops the pantheon from executing the other half of Janus. Artemis warned Diana that war is descending upon the AmazonÂ’s which Diana kind of brushed off, lol.

As Diana leaves to pursue Janus, Hera (who was busy being a wine-mom in the corner or something) get upset the gods would let her leave because something bad is supposed to happen if Diana leaves Olympus. But Zeus doesnÂ’t really give a damn and thinks Diana will forge her own destiny.

Diana makes her way to the a well, which teleports her to Elfhame.

-

Overall, I liked this issue. DonÂ’t really have to much to say about it, was fairly standard to me.

I like that Diana got the gods back with a game of Riddles (which straight up felt like Bilbo and Gollum playing Riddles in the Dark. There was even a glowing sword. )

Thought it was cool to show the gods shape-shifting between their New52 design and a newer design.

Oh, they shaped shifted into new designs? Didn't even notice. Nice.

When the riddles started I didn't know how to feel about it because it seemed kinda cheap? But I liked that the riddles weren't one and done. The second the well was mentioned, I wondered if the riddles were clues and it felt good when Diana all but confirmed it.

I like that Bosten will be back and there'll likely be a return to the Graveyard as well. For Chaos perhaps? As Zeus says, she has chosen him.

Diana pretty much saying "What's a little war to the Amazons" got a laugh out of me. I wonder how her perspective on that might change. It was almost a bit too blase for me but I guess Diana has bigger fish to fry. Loved how pissed Hera looked when talking to Zeus. I wonder if that has to do with Janus or the Yara Prophecy.

I assume the lasso will get some action next Issue considering Hephaestus warns Diana it has a personality.

Hermes and Ratatosk talking was nice. I hope Thompson brings Ratatoskr's cuteness back. I miss it, lol. And overall I'm looking forward to Elfhame.

Diana taking the Satyr by the horns for being gross was great.

And once more the backup brings back bits of lore. So it might be Circe after all. Cool to see the purple healing ray back in action. The mention of Doom's Doorway has me realizes that I really want a current map of Themyscira to appear in the backup.

Incredible Member

Good issue with a lot of intrigue.

The designs of the gods were interesting, some being carried over from the Chiang -- Hades, Hermes, Hephaestus, Athena and Hera (at least when they're released from the Graveyard, because I think Athena, Hermes, and Hera's designs then change when in Olympus) and some redesigned. I want to see Moore's take on the Pantheon though.

Artemis warns of war befalling the Amazons, which I took to seed/reference the events of Wonder Girl. Also, the continuity hiccup of IF #0 and Hera's presence in WG can be explained away by her resurrection this issue so that's neat.

I loved the emphasis on Diana's intelligence and analyzation skills to defeat the Keeper of the Grounds. Use that logic and them words, girl! I'm intrigued by the weirdo in the green cloak who was engraving the headstones though, and Cloonrad are definitely setting something up with that character as well.

The "cost" of passage to the Graveyard made sense but I'm wondering the rational behind Diana's choice to leave Chaos behind/dead, and her promise to free him. So much potential there.

And the purple lasso is actively referenced by the God of the Forge himself, indicating the Purple Lasso might have a mind of its own. Hrmmmm...?

The last page transition from her jumping into the well and the flipped image of her emerging in a new outfit was great, too, and got me hyped for next issue.

The back up was cool although I'm confused. Was Clio possessed by Circe? It seems like Circe is an exiled Amazon in this case. But after she gets hit by the Purple Healing Ray (**** yes), she tells Diana that the magic was placed to prevent anyone from finding the truth...about something. Wouldn't that mean that it wasn't Circe then? Idk, but it was still neat.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 07-13-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Good issue with a lot of intrigue.

The designs of the gods were interesting, some being carried over from the Chiang -- Hades, Hephaestus, Athena and Hera (at least when they're released from the Graveyard, because I think Athena and Hera's designs then change when in Olympus) and some redesigned. I want to see Moore's take on the Pantheon though.

Artemis warns of war befalling the Amazons, which I took to seed/reference the events of Wonder Girl. Also, the continuity hiccup of IF #0 and Hera's presence in WG can be explained away by her resurrection this issue so that's neat.

I loved the emphasis on Diana's intelligence and analyzation skills to defeat the Keeper of the Grounds. Use that logic and them words, girl! I'm intrigued by the weirdo in the green cloak who was engraving the headstones though, and Cloonrad are definitely setting something up with that character as well.

The "cost" of passage to the Graveyard made sense but I'm wondering the rational behind Diana's choice to leave Chaos behind/dead, and her promise to free him. So much potential there.

And the purple lasso is actively referenced by the God of the Forge himself, indicating the Purple Lasso might have a mind of its own. Hrmmmm...?

The last page transition from her jumping into the well and the flipped image of her emerging in a new outfit was great, too, and got me hyped for next issue.

The back up was cool although I'm confused. Was Clio possessed by Circe? It seems like Circe is an exiled Amazon in this case. But after she gets hit by the Purple Healing Ray (**** yes), she tells Diana that the magic was placed to prevent anyone from finding the truth...about something. Wouldn't that mean that it wasn't Circe then? Idk, but it was still neat.
    The very first version of Circe, dating back Wonder Woman Vol.1 #37, Circe wasn't an Amazon but she was confronted and banished by the Amazons. I think that's what they mean.

They probably assumed the magic is Circe's but maybe it's not. Or maybe an Amazon when behind everyone's back to get Circe to enchant some pages. I'm sure we'll learn in the up-coming issues.

Little bit underwhelmed by this issue though I still thought it was decent. Looking forward to the next realm and multiverse stuff coming up.

Interesting mix of New 52 and other God designs. I'm all for the Hades on sticking around at least since that was the best of the bunch.

Definitely the weakest of this run so far.

Thought it was funny that Bones knows where Diana is.

Phillipus caught Hippolyta in a bridal carry~

Wasn't TO excited by this issue. I agree the riddle bit evoked some Gollum familiarity, but it is a pretty classical approach to dealing with this sort of thing.
    I wish we had gotten to see H'Ronmeer, the Martian god who was killed off in this issue. As it was, I just honestly wasn't at all entertained by the bit wherin Diana interacted with the Olympians. Theres just not alot there for my interest.

Also, what was Hades doing on Olympus? O.o
    Regardless, im liking where this story is going. Im looking forward to seeing what Elfhame is like. I'll be curious what familiar faces we will run into here.
    The fae folk in that current Sandman book?
    Queen Desira and the fairies of Venus?
    Queen Moonbeam of 'shamrock land' the secret realm of fairies under the redwood forest?

The Young Diana story more had my interest this time around. Im liking how the story is developing and im looking forward to seeing how it develops

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Thought it was funny that Bones knows where Diana is.
    Waiting for that Historia #1 solicitation.

Yeah the story kind of slowed down for me at this point. I love the cover of issue 776 so it could be just the thing to pump back up.

Disapointed that they had that line about Diana being the "neglected progeny" of Zeus. It's still vague enough that one could interpret it in a myriad of ways, but it's an unecessary alusion to something that we hoped DC would be moving away from.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I thought it might just be me but I guess not. This issue was definitely the weakest of this run so far but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I did really enjoy the part with the Keeper of the graveyard. His look is straight out of a horror movie. The part with the Olympians was a bit of a snooze. When Diana referred to Chaos, did she mean Ares? The art was decent but not as good as Moore's.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Overall the issue was ok, one of the weaker ones, but I liked how the Chiang gods designs reappeared here. I’ll always love those, but I don’t mind them getting new ones as part of their return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah the story kind of slowed down for me at this point. I love the cover of issue 776 so it could be just the thing to pump back up.

Disapointed that they had that line about Diana being the "neglected progeny" of Zeus. It's still vague enough that one could interpret it in a myriad of ways, but it's an unecessary alusion to something that we hoped DC would be moving away from.
    People still hoping for that to go away? I admire the optimism but once it was used in outside media, particularly her first movie, that was a wrap. She’s the daughter of Zeus now and likely always will be.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    When Diana referred to Chaos, did she mean Ares?
    Nah Chaos is a primordial being, the beginning of everything in Greek Myth. It's like pre Big Bang. The universe didn't have any shapes, not stars, nothing. It was just Chaos. And then came Gaia (earth) Tartarus and Eros.

Definitely the lowest issue thus far but that's not bad considering the previous writers .

As much as I dislike daddy Zeus, I did like that line of Diana being her own god with a destiny she will find herself. That was nice. Diana using that "Athena's wisdom" is always a plus in my book.

Way to take a piss poor concept that Snyder made for a single use storyline and turn it into something mysterious and fun. The Grave Yard of the Gods now has a Grounds Keeper and a stone carver, and the plain itself at first has a empty eerie presence that makes you feel alone. I look back at the final page of the last issue where its just the grounds keeper standing there. I'm still against the idea that the Greek Gods can even die, they are immortal and deathless, death isn't supposed to have a hold over them. But comics be comics.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I actually liked the idea that a god never trully dies. The graveyard is more like a figurative limbo.