Extraordinary Member

Default Batman: Fear State: Alpha #1 Preview

Batman: Fear State: Alpha #1 Preview
    Writer: James Tynion IV
    Artist: Riccardo Federici

So can Fear State just be, like, the last event since it's the culmination of two other events that are apparently the setup for them inducing said Fear State?

I like Crane throwing some respect to Mad Hatter.

Extraordinary Member

Check list for the event:

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wait. Hang on a second. I'm not used to Crane being smart and looks cool. I'm more used to the spindly masochistic raving megalomaniac.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait. Hang on a second. I'm not used to Crane being smart and looks cool. I'm more used to the spindly masochistic raving megalomaniac.
    Yeah, this is a side of Crane I wish we see more of; personally I prefer a more methodical Scarecrow who's less insane and more... sadistic.

Heck last I saw Crane, or at least remember him, was when he was trying to create bootleg Yellow Lantern energy and Simon and Jessica had to stop him.

Oh and by the way, this probably had one of my more favorite recent Reenee Montoya moments

Edit/full thoughts: So if anything from this one-shot is that it’s not necessarily setting up a through line story but instead showing you all the parts that people will be playing if that makes sense. It is all part of one overall story but everyone will be kind of scattered in sub stories.

Like we have the Batfamily who are now going to have to deal with Scarecrow and the Magistrate, hell following Bruce is probably the main story point but then we have basically the Gotham Sirens subplot with Ivy in the Catwoman and Harley books, The rise of Jace Fox in his own series, and then the Mahoney is crazy plot that’s going on as well. I just hope all of these spinning plates don’t hamper the overall story or the solo stories, because I don’t read every Batfamily book.
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-31-2021 at 08:07 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Being someone that thinks Scarecrow needs a high profile story like this, I'm pretty damn excited. Good preview. I love Scarecrow.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Yeah, this is a side of Crane I wish we see more of; personally I prefer a more methodical Scarecrow who's less insane and more... sadistic.
    Although I think the issue was just okay as it basically was a setup issue, I really like this interpretation of Scarecrow.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This issue is a good primer for folks who haven't been reading all the bat books and want to get caught up, otherwise I don't think it moved the story much at all.

That, well, that was, not what I was looking for.

The only part of Future State I've liked, is reading more Jason. Otherwise, I'd rather it simply be tossed aside.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This issue is a good primer for folks who haven't been reading all the bat books and want to get caught up, otherwise I don't think it moved the story much at all.
    Yeah that’s about what I would agree with. Most of the set up was done in Batman so this is just about establishing all the subplots and what slam Batman related characters are up to in the grand scheme of things.

1. Nightwing seems to be handling the main Oracle story with Barbara

2. Harley and Catwoman seem to be about the Ivy storyline

3. Batman will be the main story along with Batgirls backup

4. I am Batman is kind of just Jace’s introduction as well as part of the Magistrate stuff involving Alleytown.

5. Oh yeah and Task Force Z is involved too isn’t it? So I guess that’s just what Jason is up to while this going down.

6. Then the individual secret files
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.