Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

I don't like how he gets portrayed as unbeatable and I resent the way he's always paired with Selina but nothing comes of it I want to see Helena Wayne in main continuity and for BatCat to actually get married or not at all no more teases. Also I don't like Selina with short hair. I think she's better with neck length or shoulder length but I don't care for really short hair.
    Last edited by Castiel; 07-27-2021 at 05:31 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I don't like how he gets portrayed as unbeatable and I resent the way he's always paired with Selina but nothing comes of it I want to see Helena Wayne in main continuity and for BatCat to actually get married or not at all no more teases. Also I don't like Selina with short hair. I think she's better with neck length or shoulder length but I don't care for really short hair.
    It sucks that the Bruce/Selina romance finally moving forward was executed by Tom King, who made it weird and very obnoxious at times. A run focusing on that could have been epic.

I liked Selina with short hair, but I agree it's overdone and prefer her with long hair. I honestly miss the Balent costume. At least when it's drawn by someone other than Balent himself lol (ex: Janin and Dustin Nguyen made it look great).

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yeah, he made two accounts on CBR and Damian's like... father, what are you doing? ^^
    That panel made me laugh

Bruce being a troll is very meta [especially in todays world of misinformation for profit and political power] yet also smart.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It sucks that the Bruce/Selina romance finally moving forward was executed by Tom King, who made it weird and very obnoxious at times. A run focusing on that could have been epic.

I liked Selina with short hair, but I agree it's overdone and prefer her with long hair. I honestly miss the Balent costume. At least when it's drawn by someone other than Balent himself lol (ex: Janin and Dustin Nguyen made it look great).
    I don't necessarily dislike Selina with long hair but it does help her stand out when so many women in the DCU have long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, obviously Joker is worse but pre-Joker Harley most always comes off to me as just a step or two removed from the stereotypical quack doctors usually seen at employed at Arkham who want to get famous off of profiling their inmates (ex. the therapist from DKR).
    Yeah, in Injustice they basically call her a terrible doctor.

Extraordinary Member

Gimme Paul Dini writing BatCat trying out a long-term relationship, and I think that’s worth some money.

And I’ll say this for Balent; the… “physique” he gave Catwoman was always ostentatious and over the top, and only became more so, but he actually does a decent job with portraying Selina’s facial expressions for the time. 90’s Catwoman is genuinely a grumpy cat!
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Bruce Wayne should NOT be a multi-billionaire/the richest man in history, Bruce Wayne IMHO should never have a net worth more than 20 million dollars. It's rich enough to get the training and tech he needs but it's not enough so he can buy any company in the world and pay for the JLA headquarters and the rent for rest of all the DCU superheroes on Earth.

The Batmobile should be a car and not a tank. Batwoman season 2 got finally got the Batmobile right it's a tricked out car but it's still a car, not another damn tank.

Batman should only have the Batmoblie and no other Bat-themed vehicles.

Batman should a jack of all trades and not a master of all trades.

Batman shouldn't be a fascist psychopath.

Batman is smart but not the smartest man in the world.

Batman shouldn't use guns in anyway shape or form.

Batman needs a sidekick I don't care if it's one of the various Robins, Batgirls, or Nightwings. He needs just needs one, so pick one and go with it.

Bruce Wayne needs to be an equal part of Batman's stories.

Batman needs a romantic relationship that is healthy don't care if it's with Vicky Vale, Silver St. Cloud, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, or a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Gimme Paul Dini writing BatCat trying out a long-term relationship, and I think that’s worth some money.

And I’ll say this for Balent; the… “physique” he gave Catwoman was always ostentatious and over the top, and only became more so, but he actually does a decent job with portraying Selina’s facial expressions for the time. 90’s Catwoman is genuinely a grumpy cat!
    Oh yeah I love Balent's Selina face and personality wise.

Just...the boobs and the poses not so much lol.

I'm weird, I'm used to Selina with long hair in tv and movies because that's what they've always done but in comics I prefer her with the short hair.

Extraordinary Member

Oh yeah I love Balent's Selina face and personality wise.

Just...the boobs and the poses not so much lol.
    The early years of Balent’s run are the least worrisome; while still high on cheesecake and unnecessary posing, his style hadn’t degenerated as much as it would later.

And when paired with strong writing, it was genuinely a very clever “super-thief” book. Brubaker had a better “noir hero” book, but Vol. 1 is a better “loveable rogue” book. Honestly, it’s a shame no one ever really tried the Bat Cat pairing at that point for more than one or two issues in a row.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The early years of Balent’s run are the least worrisome; while still high on cheesecake and unnecessary posing, his style hadn’t degenerated as much as it would later.

And when paired with strong writing, it was genuinely a very clever “super-thief” book. Brubaker had a better “noir hero” book, but Vol. 1 is a better “loveable rogue” book. Honestly, it’s a shame no one ever really tried the Bat Cat pairing at that point for more than one or two issues in a row.
    Didn't O'Neil actively prevent Selina and Bruce from interacting too much because he wanted to push Bruce/Talia? I thought I remember reading that somewhere but I have no idea how accurate that is.

And yeah, loveable sassy rogue Selina is the best.

Astonishing Member

This isn't necessarily a criticism of Batman exclusively, but the era he came out of. For whatever reason, it seemed like the only people comic book creators thought could be capable crimefighters were rich dudes. Sure there were exceptions, but the vast majority seemed to be very well off socialites. As much as I love Batman, Green Arrow, and many other DC superheroes, the idea that a regular middle class Joe could make just as big of a difference is one change I'm glad that Marvel ushered in in the '60s.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This isn't necessarily a criticism of Batman exclusively, but the era he came out of. For whatever reason, it seemed like the only people comic book creators thought could be capable crimefighters were rich dudes. Sure there were exceptions, but the vast majority seemed to be very well off socialites. As much as I love Batman, Green Arrow, and many other DC superheroes, the idea that a regular middle class Joe could make just as big of a difference is one change I'm glad that Marvel ushered in in the '60s.
    I don't think they pushed the rich super hero concept because they thought that only rich dudes could be crimefighters, I believe it was just part of the wish fulfillment that's inherent in fictional characters in general and especially super heroes. It's sort of like "Batman is rich because it's cool".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    It makes sense though. Its far more likely for someone with time and money on their hands to be able to take up the superhero game.

And when it comes to Marvel, I think Spider-Man and Daredevil were among the few examples of a ''middle-class Joe'' being a superhero all on his own (and frankly, Matt Murdock was a fairly successful lawyer shown to have a considerably disposable income). Almost every other hero was a member of the Avengers bankrolled by Tony Stark. The Fantastic Four were wealthy enough to fund themselves. And of course you had the X-men funded and founded by Professor X.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I don't think they pushed the rich super hero concept because they thought that only rich dudes could be crimefighters, I believe it was just part of the wish fulfillment that's inherent in fictional characters in general and especially super heroes. It's sort of like "Batman is rich because it's cool".
    Yeah, that's how I see it. I mean, yeah, Batman's wealth explains how he can fund his crusade with all those expensive toys, and the Wayne family legacy is now an integral part of the 'expanded' backstory of Gotham. But Bruce being a playboy/industrialist also adds to the wish-fulfilment aspect of the character. I suppose, the whole idea of being Batman is to have agency and power over your life...having money is a realistic expression of the same impulse for most of us I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Not to mention the Joker movie and how it reframes the character as a working-class hero.
    Did we watch the same film? Because while he might've been working class, and somewhat sympathetic, he was in no way a hero in that film. Protagonist does not equal hero.