Default How would you feel Ethan Bennett from the Batman appeared in main canon?

Given Clayface is dead (last I checked not sure if that still stands) I think it'd be cool to have Ethan Bennett from The Batman series appear and become the new Clayface. I enjoyed his dynamic with Batman/Bruce especially given he and Yin were often at odds wondering if they could trust him. I figure it'd be good to see Gordon get fired from the GCPD and for Batman and the other vigilantes to be against the GCPD headed by a new corrupt Commissioner. I like idea of Ethan and Yin being one of the two last honest cops left.

I also like the idea of Twoface becoming a more active threat and playing a key role in Ethan's story maybe even telling Ethan he can't trust Batman and when Ethan has his one bad day he begins to feel like Twoface was right. As for Ethan's motives I can see him having a grudge against corrupt officials and attempt to impersonate them claiming to be fixing Gotham in his own way. I also like the idea of him discovering Bruce is Batman during his mutation and for the revelation to contribute to his mental decline causing him to see Bruce as a liar and accuse him of betraying/deceiving him.

I think that'd cause a lot of tension for Bruce and I like the idea of Ethan being paranoid about trust and reflecting that aspect of Batman just as his other rogues are like twisted versions of himself. I also like the idea of Yin helping Bruce reinstate Gordon while working against the corrupt police.

Isn't Clayface still alive? Just in hiding?

I think the only thing you could really do with him is give us a new Clayface though.

BANNED

Bennett worked a lot better as a supporting character before the Clayface turn. The dynamic he had with Yin provided cool, contrasting POVs on the sociological ramifications of Batman's vigilantism, with Bennet's optimism neatly contrasting against Yin's cynicism. Once Bennett turned, Yin just became a Montoya stand-in.

Bennet's fall is essentially a retelling of the Two-Face story.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Bennett worked a lot better as a supporting character before the Clayface turn. The dynamic he had with Yin provided cool, contrasting POVs on the sociological ramifications of Batman's vigilantism, with Bennet's optimism neatly contrasting against Yin's cynicism. Once Bennett turned, Yin just became a Montoya stand-in.

Bennet's fall is essentially a retelling of the Two-Face story.
    I think I saw a lot of people like Bennett more once they turned him into Clayface and mined his psychotic break and villainous turn for all the tragedy it was worth, and, considering they couldn't even use Two-Face I think it was a solid compromise.

Yes, he should be incorporated.

Bennet was the only interesting version of Clayface.

I would love it if Ethan and Ellen Yin from the show appeared in the comics. I think Ethan is still different enough from Two-Face and the other Clayfaces that he can stand on his own. Though it seems to me that DC only wants one Clayface at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I would love it if Ethan and Ellen Yin from the show appeared in the comics. I think Ethan is still different enough from Two-Face and the other Clayfaces that he can stand on his own. Though it seems to me that DC only wants one Clayface at the moment.
    It did get to be a bit much in Post-Crisis where there were, like, 5-7 Clayfaces, but now Basil Karlo is usually the default for one reason or another.

He and Yin would be a good fit for the Tamaki run. Bruce could use a new contact on the force .
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-12-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It did get to be a bit much in Post-Crisis where there were, like, 5-7 Clayfaces, but now Basil Karlo is usually the default for one reason or another.
    But every Clayface had distinct personalities, motivations and power sets though. I think the main one was Matt Hagen back then, largely thanks to B:TAS but now they are shifting towards Basil Karlo as the default.

Mighty Member

If he was only Ethan Bennett, sure. My issue with him in the mainstream comic is that he mostly fulfilled a unique position in the series, where they couldn't get Two-Face and they didn't want to rehash what they did in B:TAS with Clayface. Dropping him off as is in the comics is just going to make him feel derivative unless you change him significantly.

There's some show-original villains I'd rather see make the jump, like D.A.V.E., the Kabuki Twins, or Everywhere Man. It's kind of weird how other Batman media references Cosmo Krank, but the comic never featured him. At least Scorn made it.