Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman '89 #1 Preview

Batman '89 #1 Preview
    Writer: Sam Hamm
    Artist: Joe Quinones

I see he still cares about criminals as much as he did in the Burton movies .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I see he still cares about criminals as much as he did in the Burton movies .
    I'll be very disappointed if he ends up being able to turn his head while in costume.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The art looks fantastic on this, I hope the story lives up to it.

Spectacular Member

I can’t wait to get my hands on this. The variants are incredible too!!!!

Astonishing Member

Looks great!

Curious about the timeline though. Going by the description, it seems like its set just after Batman '89, with gangs inspired by Batman and the Joker. And yet, we're getting Catwoman and Robin, which suggests a post-Batman Returns setting.

Its a bit weird to hear Batman address Gordon as, well, ''Gordon''. I'm so used to hearing Batman call him ''Jim'' or ''Commisioner''. Then again, we never heard Keaton's Batman ever address him by name, if I remember correctly?

I just can't help but think of this meme;

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Looks great!

Curious about the timeline though. Going by the description, it seems like its set just after Batman '89, with gangs inspired by Batman and the Joker. And yet, we're getting Catwoman and Robin, which suggests a post-Batman Returns setting.

Its a bit weird to hear Batman address Gordon as, well, ''Gordon''. I'm so used to hearing Batman call him ''Jim'' or ''Commisioner''. Then again, we never heard Keaton's Batman ever address him by name, if I remember correctly?
    He seems more communicative with Gordon than he was depicted as in the Burton movies.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Looks great!

I'm pretty sure it's set after Returns, it's just called Batman '89 so you know what "universe" it's from. If they had called Batman: Burtonverse or Keatonverse they'd have to pay those guys but if they just call it 89 then you know what it is and royalties aren't needed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's set after Returns, it's just called Batman '89 so you know what "universe" it's from. If they had called Batman: Burtonverse or Keatonverse they'd have to pay those guys but if they just call it 89 then you know what it is and royalties aren't needed.
    Oh yeah, I'm not disputing the title at all!

But I'm mainly confused because of the plotline of Joker-inspired gangs facing off against Batman-inspired gangs. It feels, I dunno, like something which might have happened in the immediate aftermath of Batman's war on the Joker, as opposed to years later, when the Penguin is the most recent menace to plague Gotham.

Also, Harvey Dent pursuing a campaign against Batman feels like something a bit more 'Year One' than at a time when Batman is well-established as Gotham's resident hero. Then again Returns does have Batman being accussed of murder...even if his name is cleared, I guess there could still be enough lingering negative sentiment among the public and the powers-that-be for Dent to gain support?

Post-Returns does make the most sense, I agree...

I am looking forward to this. The art looks very good.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member

Batman '89 #1 Preview
    Writer: Sam Hamm
    Artist: Joe Quinones

Billy Dee Williams still looks so charming even in comic form .

Is that...supposed to be Barbara Gordon ?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Billy Dee Williams still looks so charming even in comic form .

Is that...supposed to be Barbara Gordon ?
    of course not
    It's Selina Kyle aka Catwoman
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    of course not
    It's Selina Kyle aka Catwoman
    He's referring to Harvey Dent's date in the preview.

I think it might be...