Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What mainstream Batman idea you personally disagree with?

So we all have our own interpretation of the character and how we want him to be written but there's mainstream Batman ideas that are have been cemented into the character's blueprint. I want to know if you have any that you feel don't work.

Mine is the idea that the reason Batman doesn't kill is because he's afraid it'll consume his already fragile mind and turn him into a compulsive murderer. I always see people using this reason and pointing to that moment where Batman explains why he won't kill the joker to Jason. I never like that idea first because I'm not a big fan of stories that lean too much on mentally ill Batman and also because I always prefered to believe that he doesn't kill because he value human life too much. To him it shouldn't really matter if he can or can't stop with just one I'll always believe Batman doesn't want to kill period even if he could stop just with Joker.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I disagree with the belief that the mantle of Batman lives and dies with Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I disagree with the belief that the mantle of Batman lives and dies with Bruce Wayne.
    Agree specially when they try to push the narrative that it's a "curse" that only Bruce Wayne can bear.

I think diversity among heroes in Gotham is a good thing, but I really hate the notion that all new characters have to be children. I don't think all of Batman's allies have to be pseudo-Robins and Batgirls. He can train and work with adults.

Its for that reason so many characters in Gotham feel redundant in my opinion. They're all doing the same thing.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

There should never have been a teenaged member of the Bat-family after Damian. Gotham City is just about the worst place to be a young superhero.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't like the dark gritty realistic portrayal of Batman. It's fine in adaptations and I have enjoyed those, but the main comics have kid sidekicks, aliens, and sci-fi techs and they want to keep it, and if they want to keep it, it's not a concept that can fit the dark gritty realism.

Like I'm reading Batman Year One and other Post Crisis early stories, then Robin and Batgirl Year One, and my conclusion is, there's just never enough justification for including a young sidekick. They're a concept created for a different type of publication and not meant to be in the same noir world that Miller established.

So to reiterate, I like both portrayals of Batman's world. I just don't think they mix and trying to mix it just doesn't work. You can't have a story about this Robin die that Robin dies this Batgirl crippled, and then keep making new ones. It's nuts. These are not meant to be.

If Jason was to die, then they should move on into a Miller-inspired world without Robin. If they want to establish a Miller world from the moment Jason died, don't go back and try to make Batman and Robin's back story realistic with Year One. If they want to keep Robin, then don't freaking kill Jason with the excuse of fan voting and don't make the story darker from then on, keep it light like the 60s-80s and keep the realistic Miller inspired world separate.

1. I don’t like the idea of Batman as a loner. Literally a founding member of the worlds greatest heroes who are his friends, has multiple people who care about him, and has older heroes who helped train him to be Batman.

2. That Batman can’t be happy, sure his life can be rough but I sincerely doubt he’s never been happy with all that he has in life.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Same here. Dick is a good successor. Batman can´t die with Bruce.

Batman Brave Bold Dick and Damian.jpg

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't think that's a super mainstream idea within comics; Morrison's whole arc was about how Batman literally lasts forever.

Even the Dark Knight Trilogy went that route with it being implied that John "Robin" Blake becomes Batman after Bruce retires.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't think that's a super mainstream idea within comics; Morrison's whole arc was about how Batman literally lasts forever.

Even the Dark Knight Trilogy went that route with it being implied that John "Robin" Blake becomes Batman after Bruce retires.
    Yeah I most often see that opinion coming from fans. In comics itself there are loads of future Batman. Terry's been canonized. Dick. Helena in Bat Cat, basically. Thomas in New 52 Earth-2, then Dick again. Damian in 666. Tim in Tynion's alt future.

I don't like how he gets portrayed as unbeatable and I resent the way he's always paired with Selina but nothing comes of it I want to see Helena Wayne in main continuity and for BatCat to actually get married or not at all no more teases. Also I don't like Selina with short hair. I think she's better with neck length or shoulder length but I don't care for really short hair.
    Last edited by Castiel; 07-27-2021 at 05:31 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I don't like how he gets portrayed as unbeatable and I resent the way he's always paired with Selina but nothing comes of it I want to see Helena Wayne in main continuity and for BatCat to actually get married or not at all no more teases. Also I don't like Selina with short hair. I think she's better with neck length or shoulder length but I don't care for really short hair.
    It sucks that the Bruce/Selina romance finally moving forward was executed by Tom King, who made it weird and very obnoxious at times. A run focusing on that could have been epic.

I liked Selina with short hair, but I agree it's overdone and prefer her with long hair. I honestly miss the Balent costume. At least when it's drawn by someone other than Balent himself lol (ex: Janin and Dustin Nguyen made it look great).

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It sucks that the Bruce/Selina romance finally moving forward was executed by Tom King, who made it weird and very obnoxious at times. A run focusing on that could have been epic.

I liked Selina with short hair, but I agree it's overdone and prefer her with long hair. I honestly miss the Balent costume. At least when it's drawn by someone other than Balent himself lol (ex: Janin and Dustin Nguyen made it look great).
    I don't necessarily dislike Selina with long hair but it does help her stand out when so many women in the DCU have long hair.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Gimme Paul Dini writing BatCat trying out a long-term relationship, and I think that’s worth some money.

And I’ll say this for Balent; the… “physique” he gave Catwoman was always ostentatious and over the top, and only became more so, but he actually does a decent job with portraying Selina’s facial expressions for the time. 90’s Catwoman is genuinely a grumpy cat!
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Bruce Wayne should NOT be a multi-billionaire/the richest man in history, Bruce Wayne IMHO should never have a net worth more than 20 million dollars. It's rich enough to get the training and tech he needs but it's not enough so he can buy any company in the world and pay for the JLA headquarters and the rent for rest of all the DCU superheroes on Earth.

The Batmobile should be a car and not a tank. Batwoman season 2 got finally got the Batmobile right it's a tricked out car but it's still a car, not another damn tank.

Batman should only have the Batmoblie and no other Bat-themed vehicles.

Batman should a jack of all trades and not a master of all trades.

Batman shouldn't be a fascist psychopath.

Batman is smart but not the smartest man in the world.

Batman shouldn't use guns in anyway shape or form.

Batman needs a sidekick I don't care if it's one of the various Robins, Batgirls, or Nightwings. He needs just needs one, so pick one and go with it.

Bruce Wayne needs to be an equal part of Batman's stories.

Batman needs a romantic relationship that is healthy don't care if it's with Vicky Vale, Silver St. Cloud, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, or a new character.