Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What mainstream Batman idea you personally disagree with?

So we all have our own interpretation of the character and how we want him to be written but there's mainstream Batman ideas that are have been cemented into the character's blueprint. I want to know if you have any that you feel don't work.

Mine is the idea that the reason Batman doesn't kill is because he's afraid it'll consume his already fragile mind and turn him into a compulsive murderer. I always see people using this reason and pointing to that moment where Batman explains why he won't kill the joker to Jason. I never like that idea first because I'm not a big fan of stories that lean too much on mentally ill Batman and also because I always prefered to believe that he doesn't kill because he value human life too much. To him it shouldn't really matter if he can or can't stop with just one I'll always believe Batman doesn't want to kill period even if he could stop just with Joker.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I disagree with the belief that the mantle of Batman lives and dies with Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I disagree with the belief that the mantle of Batman lives and dies with Bruce Wayne.
    Agree specially when they try to push the narrative that it's a "curse" that only Bruce Wayne can bear.

I think diversity among heroes in Gotham is a good thing, but I really hate the notion that all new characters have to be children. I don't think all of Batman's allies have to be pseudo-Robins and Batgirls. He can train and work with adults.

Its for that reason so many characters in Gotham feel redundant in my opinion. They're all doing the same thing.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

There should never have been a teenaged member of the Bat-family after Damian. Gotham City is just about the worst place to be a young superhero.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't like the dark gritty realistic portrayal of Batman. It's fine in adaptations and I have enjoyed those, but the main comics have kid sidekicks, aliens, and sci-fi techs and they want to keep it, and if they want to keep it, it's not a concept that can fit the dark gritty realism.

Like I'm reading Batman Year One and other Post Crisis early stories, then Robin and Batgirl Year One, and my conclusion is, there's just never enough justification for including a young sidekick. They're a concept created for a different type of publication and not meant to be in the same noir world that Miller established.

So to reiterate, I like both portrayals of Batman's world. I just don't think they mix and trying to mix it just doesn't work. You can't have a story about this Robin die that Robin dies this Batgirl crippled, and then keep making new ones. It's nuts. These are not meant to be.

If Jason was to die, then they should move on into a Miller-inspired world without Robin. If they want to establish a Miller world from the moment Jason died, don't go back and try to make Batman and Robin's back story realistic with Year One. If they want to keep Robin, then don't freaking kill Jason with the excuse of fan voting and don't make the story darker from then on, keep it light like the 60s-80s and keep the realistic Miller inspired world separate.

1. I don’t like the idea of Batman as a loner. Literally a founding member of the worlds greatest heroes who are his friends, has multiple people who care about him, and has older heroes who helped train him to be Batman.

2. That Batman can’t be happy, sure his life can be rough but I sincerely doubt he’s never been happy with all that he has in life.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I disagree with the notion that Bruce has to be the absolute, bestest at everything ever. He should be the world's greatest detective, he doesn't also have to be the world's smartest man, greatest fighter, richest dude on earth, best scientist, and best at everything else. Where's the fun in that? Where's the challenge? Where's the damn humanity? I find Batman to be far more compelling when he has obvious, mortal limits. People complain about how over-powered heroes like Clark, Diana, and Barry are but Bruce is more powerful than all of them put together.

But I like the old school, pulp stuff with Bruce far more than the more sci-fi, high-concept stories. I like the Batman far more than the Batgod. There's definitely room in the Batman narrative for those big ideas, but they shouldn't be common and Bruce should struggle a lot more against "normal" people than he usually does in the modern mainstream.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

That he's a loner.

From the beginning he has always had allies; from Gordon, Alfred, to the Bat Fam.

This idea that's he a brooding sociopath is beyond dumb.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The combination of adhering to the no-kill code while also making him more violent than he was when he first started adhering to the code, and also at times using torture to gain information. Or him abandoning the no-kill code entirely but still being overly violent like in some of the movie incarnations. Which in some ways is better because at least it's a bit more "honest," but still far from desirable.

I think with all the training he's undergone and his mission being rooted in wanting to save/protect people more so than punish, he shouldn't be so casual and brutal with his violence and should show way more discipline. That's hardly realistic that he'd be that in control of situations most of the time, but eh...f*** realism, it's not what I'm here for. I'd prioritize making the DC heroes actually heroic over being concerned with realism in a fantasy setting

Not really directly Batman himself (though he falls under this sometimes) but I don't care for the interpretations of his villains as stand-ins for mental-illnesses.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not really directly Batman himself (though he falls under this sometimes) but I don't care for the interpretations of his villains as stand-ins for mental-illnesses.
    This also, honestly, feels like it wouldn’t be as hard to fix; most of his foes don't even have a really good approximation of any believable mental illness, just an inaccurate pop-culture diagnosis. And the more someone makes a character have a believable diagnosis, the harder it is to treat them like a menacing villain; half the time that Mad Hatter gets treated like someone with an actual issue, the rest of the issue becomes a contest between whether the writer will embrace a more compassionate portrayal of him or a demonization of his illness.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I'm not convinced that Bruce (or any of them, honestly) has PTSD.

The notion that vigilantism in general is some sort of juvenile or stunted response to emotional trauma is also a load of crap within the context of the DCU. Characters in-universe seem to state something to that effect all the time despite it not making a bit of sense from their frame of reference.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    This also, honestly, feels like it wouldn’t be as hard to fix; most of his foes don't even have a really good approximation of any believable mental illness, just an inaccurate pop-culture diagnosis. And the more someone makes a character have a believable diagnosis, the harder it is to treat them like a menacing villain; half the time that Mad Hatter gets treated like someone with an actual issue, the rest of the issue becomes a contest between whether the writer will embrace a more compassionate portrayal of him or a demonization of his illness.
    I think the only one of the Rogues who have a real approximation of a genuine mental illness is Hatter and Two-Face.

The rest are more a general brand of craziness.

That Bruce has plans how to take down his friends.