Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Wait, what? That happened?!
    Read Batman Urban Legends

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Read Batman Urban Legends
    Okay...but those are out-of-continuity right?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Bruce Wayne is just a "persona" or "act", Batman is the real deal. I think Bruce Wayne's bachelor persona isn't completely an act, he does enjoy having fun to an extent.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Okay...but those are out-of-continuity right?
    No, those stories are very much in continuity.

Nightwing could be Batman for a bit, but he should always go back to being Nightwing eventually.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Nightwing could be Batman for a bit, but he should always go back to being Nightwing eventually.
    Agree completely.

I think if DC wanted to cement the idea of Dick someday becoming Batman permanently, they missed their chance when they didn't do it on Earth 2 after that Batman's death. Not long after that, Earth 1 Dick ended up becoming Nightwing (as part of an effort to distance him from the Batman franchise).

Of the Robins, Damian is now the top pick (thanks to Morrison's 666 flashforwards), but I think it makes sense for Tim to take the mantle (or want to take it) as well, which we've seen with Titans Tomorrow - Tim joined the Batman family to continue the legacy of Robin, so it fits thematically that he'd be willing to continue the legacy of Batman too.

Jason, in his present form, can never be a viable successor to Batman's legacy. But if we ever get an Earth-1985 mini continuing the Bronze Age DCU, I like the idea that that Jason could one day become Batman.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Agree completely.

I think if DC wanted to cement the idea of Dick someday becoming Batman permanently, they missed their chance when they didn't do it on Earth 2 after that Batman's death. Not long after that, Earth 1 Dick ended up becoming Nightwing (as part of an effort to distance him from the Batman franchise).
    They did it in New 52 Earth 2 with Dick becoming Batman after Thomas Wayne Batman died after Bruce Wayne Batman died, though he's never Robin in this one, but a civilian partner to Thomas Wayne Batman, and took up his mantle.

Agree completely.

Of the Robins, Damian is now the top pick (thanks to Morrison's 666 flashforwards), but I think it makes sense for Tim to take the mantle (or want to take it) as well, which we've seen with Titans Tomorrow - Tim joined the Batman family to continue the legacy of Robin, so it fits thematically that he'd be willing to continue the legacy of Batman too.

Jason, in his present form, can never be a viable successor to Batman's legacy. But if we ever get an Earth-1985 mini continuing the Bronze Age DCU, I like the idea that that Jason could one day become Batman.
    Tim should never be Batman. He always fails as batman.
    I think Tim is the bat kid who should get to retire and live a peacefully life to compensate for batman robbing a child of his chance at a peaceful life. Tim deserves the life bruce took from him.

Damian and Terry are the future Batmen a la Batman 700 or Batman Beyond Rebirth.

I really like the BB future where Damian passes the mantle to Terry. Dick's daughter is nightwing and Dick is the mayor Finish with Damian moving to Europe.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I think Tim is the bat kid who should get to retire and live a peacefully life to compensate for batman robbing a child of his chance at a peaceful life. Tim deserves the life bruce took from him.

Damian and Terry are the future Batmen a la Batman 700 or Batman Beyond Rebirth.

I really like the BB future where Damian passes the mantle to Terry. Dick's daughter is nightwing and Dick is the mayor Finish with Damian moving to Europe.
    What? Tim wanted to be Robin. He had to jump through loops to get Bruce to get on board with him being Robin. Bruce didn't force him into anything

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

I totally disagree that Bruce stole his chance at a normal life. If anything, Tim is the one who forced his way into Batman's world.

That said, in general I agree with you that Tim is the one Robin who has a shot at a normal life beyond crime-fighting (the last time I remember reading Tim was in the early Rebirth 'Tec run that was setting this cape-less future up for him). But in terms of Robins who would be a natural fit for permanently taking over as Batman down the line, Tim makes more sense than Dick has for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What? Tim wanted to be Robin. He had to jump through loops to get Bruce to get on board with him being Robin. Bruce didn't force him into anything
    Tim was a minor. minors don't know what's best for them, Bruce was an adult man who had just lost the last minor he dressed up on bright colours.

He knew better.
    There's a reason why he didn't approch Mr Drake to ask for consent
    There's a reason why when mr Drake found out he went to confront Bruce

Bruce could have told Tim to piss off. Kids demand lots of unrealistic and make poor choices everyday. It's why they are called minors and need adult guidance.

Adults shoot down such demands and choices which is why they are called adults and are held accountable.

Tim wanted to be Robin. Tim was also a 13 year old obsessed minor. that's like a sex offender saying a 13 year old wanted to date them. That excuse just doesn't fly

I totally disagree that Bruce stole his chance at a normal life. If anything, Tim is the one who forced his way into Batman's world.

That said, in general I agree with you that Tim is the one Robin who has a shot at a normal life beyond crime-fighting (the last time I remember reading Tim was in the early Rebirth 'Tec run that was setting this cape-less future up for him). But in terms of Robins who would be a natural fit for permanently taking over as Batman down the line, Tim makes more sense than Dick has for decades.
    Well canon disagrees since everytime Tim dons the cowl it ends in disaster. Tim is the only bat kid who has nothing but failure as batman. Dick and Damian have by a very long mile the best track record. Jason has the one success but Tim has nothing but failure.

Tim isn't a fit for Batman we've seen this every single time he dons the cowl. It doesn't make sense.

On Tim forcing his way into Batman's life I refer you to my reply to @Immortalweapon

Honestly if they wanted it that badly they can just invent an Earth where Dick is always Batman from the beginning. No reason to use main Dick when you don't have to.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Honestly if they wanted it that badly they can just invent an Earth where Dick is always Batman from the beginning. No reason to use main Dick when you don't have to.
    Yeah, but we're talking about the idea of the classic Dick Grayson who was Robin eventually becoming Batman someday. Not some radically different alternate Dick Grayson.

Earth 2 Dick Grayson in the Bronze Age was a representation of the classic Dick Grayson character, so him becoming Batman would be reflective of the core ''Robin takes over as Batman'' idea.

Incredible Member

The Golden Age Robin never grew into becoming Batman. Instead, Batman seemed to be filled by Huntress.
    Of course, Huntress seemed a union of both Batman and Catwoman inheritance, while becoming her own person.

I think that more could have been done with the GA Robin, but obviously DC Comics didn't agree.

Leaving Huntress to the side, I think there were good reasons why the grown-up Robin didn't want to be Batman.
    He had built up his identity as Robin all those years, it didn't feel like him to be this other person. Robin
    in that sense is not a learning hero identity, but something that is part of a permanent hero identity. It suggests
    that Robin doesn't have to be an identity that you do for a time before transitioning to something else.

Nightwing made a different choice. There can be a degree of difference in how various Robins think of the identity.