Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Van Alpha

The approach to Dallas up until this point has proven to be... isolated. Most forms of civilization they had passed through had been small towns where one could imagine supported ranchers or oil-field workers, but as they got closer and closer, with the growing abundance of trees came more and more towns. With the city on the distant horizon, the driver took an early exit. From a distance, the truck stop certainly seemed impressive; the white coat of its exterior either freshly painted or well maintained. Mounted atop a massive pole was its logo, a cartoon otter smiling cheerfully with the name Otto's beneath it.

"Y'all ever been to an Otto before?" The van driver asked, "It's kinda a Texan thing, but I hear they've opened up a few stops in Alabama and Florida. Hear some ever take trips to visit all of them."

Pulling up to a vacant gas pump, the driver shut off the engines and they were free to do what they needed from stretching their legs, getting some snacks and drinks, or using the restroom. Upon opening the doors, however, they would feel the air was hot and sticky; perhaps an effect of being in a climate-controlled vehicle for so long?

Looking around, the Otto's certainly boasted a larger number of gas pumps that encircled the large main building like a covered wagon train of metal and concrete. From the speakers came some generic country-pop song that was as inoffensive as it was creative and strategically placed near the entrances were sandwich board signs proudly inviting the reader to "Join The Raft" for a rate-per-hour that was pretty good considering all things. Passing through the automatic doors, they would greet by the welcoming puff of air-conditioning and the array of snacks and drinks resting in display coolers designed to quickly entice visitors.

Despite how clean the store looked, the Joestar heirs would still find that they felt sticky from the heat outside as their footwear clung just a bit with each step. The people within didn't seem too bothered, mostly truckers and other workers stopping by for their lunch breaks. For those seeking the bathrooms, it wouldn't be too difficult to find due to the signage, and for truck-stop bathrooms, they weren't so bad.

If only it wasn't for the stickiness.
    Turning her attention to the building at the center of this gas stop, "Uggg..." she thought to herself, "If it hadn't been for the impacts we'd all be driving electric cars by now."

She then looked up briefly at the sunlit sky, then over to the gas pumps, "Even for a Van, filling a tank of gas shouldn't take this long." she grumbled quietly.

Finding a shaded place, Jinny then continued to wait outside for the others.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    "Can't say I've ever seen one across the pond," Suzie replied. Her shades caught the glint of the sun as she looked back and forth. The cartoon otter in the middle of the inland trees in the American South struck her as a rather discordant picture that seemed entirely out of place.

Of course, she herself was the picture of...Victorian consumption, perhaps, pallid and fading under her small piece of shade she clutched so dearly.

"But, in for a penny...may as well take a look yeah?" Her purple headband began to darken with sweat. "Um...anything I can get for you while we're about?"
    "Thanks, but I'm going in myself. Ugh, frickin' humidity, man," The van driver practically bolted for the building as they stepped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Turning her attention to the building at the center of this gas stop, "Uggg..." she thought to herself, "If it hadn't been for the impacts we'd all be driving electric cars by now."

She then looked up briefly at the sunlit sky, then over to the gas pumps, "Even for a Van, filling a tank of gas shouldn't take this long." she grumbled quietly.

Finding a shaded place, Jinny then continued to wait outside for the others.
    For the time being, the driver had gone inside, leaving the task of filling up the van once he'd return.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    In through the sliding door, Suzie breathed a little easier in the cool air, self-consciously dabbing her neck with a tissue when suddenly she stumbled as if the flat sole of her boot caught on something.

Looking about the people within the shop who seemed unbothered as they went about their business, she sighed, adjusted the sunglasses on her nose as she cringed with embarrassment.

"Bother, must be worse for wear than I thought..."

Folding up her umbrella, she picked up a shopping basket and perused the aisles looking for some refreshments to take on the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "Aw man, this is foul..." Miguel gritted his teeth. He had made note of before, however used to the heat he was, without a breeze to mediate it, it threw him off far more than he'd like. "I'm gonna get some water. Maybe some ice teas, if they haven't sold out in this heat..."

Upon entering the establishment, Miguel felt immediate regret on not staying in the truck. But, he had a mission to complete,. and he wouldn't coward out now. He would push past this heavy humidity if only to purchase enough cold beverages to hydrate them on their travels. He made a beeline to the where the drinks were stored, intent on using purchasing their entire stock if need be.
    The stop was pretty heavily stocked when it came to drinks, with your usual brands, the odd local brands, and ever a few things you wouldn't expect to see in this region. As for snacks, it varied from bagged treats, freshly made, and even a few frozen items you could use a microwave to heat up.

Regardless, the stickiness of the humidity could still be felt throughout the store, as everything they touched gripped them just a bit longer than usual.

Considering the fact that the driver chose to put off filling the tank, possibly to empty his own first, made Jinny miss her home state a little more, "If we were in Jersey, their would be an attendant to handle the gas pump. If the driver, I'd better get his name when he comes out, doesn't come out soon, maybe I should give it a try."

Boris walks out of the restroom." Okay, no one go in there for 30 minutes," Boris said.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Van Alpha

As Boris steps out of the bathroom, declaration of his bodily results on his lips, he would find that the bathroom door handle was stuck to his hand. It was like someone had poured an entire box worth of superglue on it. The air itself inside the store seemed a bit stickier, almost as if the air conditioner was blasting in the humidity from outside.

---

Outside, Jinny would hear the familiar sounds of a can cracking open.

"What have we here? A little wallflower?"

The man's accent was thick, most likely German, but ultimately understandable. His attire however...

... not so much.

An object thudded next to Jinny, an unopen can of German beer, "It's no good sitting out in this heat without a drink, don't you agree?" Leaning back, the strange man took a drink from his own can.

-----------

Van Omega

With Vivian's means of diplomacy, the van ride had been quite quiet from the front seat and with no one voicing their concerns over stopping soon, they would pass the exit leading to the Otto's, instead reaching the home stretch towards Dallas.

Van Alpha

As Boris steps out of the bathroom, declaration of his bodily results on his lips, he would find that the bathroom door handle was stuck to his hand. It was like someone had poured an entire box worth of superglue on it. The air itself inside the store seemed a bit stickier, almost as if the air conditioner was blasting in the humidity from outside.

---

The man's accent was thick, most likely German, but ultimately understandable. His attire however...

... not so much.

An object thudded next to Jinny, an unopen can of German beer, "It's no good sitting out in this heat without a drink, don't you agree?" Leaning back, the strange man took a drink from his own can.

-----------

Van Omega

With Vivian's means of diplomacy, the van ride had been quite quiet from the front seat and with no one voicing their concerns over stopping soon, they would pass the exit leading to the Otto's, instead reaching the home stretch towards Dallas.
    " What kind of fucking childish prank is this?" Boris shouted.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Van Alpha

---

... not so much.

-----------

Van Omega

Jinny looked down at the can, then over to the under dressed man, "I can take the heat, and I don't drink with strangers."

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    " What kind of fucking childish prank is this?" Boris shouted.
    The air condition sputtered and died, followed shortly by the lights, leaving the truck stop's interior illuminated by the blazing sun outside.

"What the hell is goin-- WHAT THE HELL?!"

One of the truckers seated at a table tried to stand, only to find that his body firmly adhered to it. Similar shouts and shrieks could be heard as others found themselves in similar situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Jinny looked down at the can, then over to the underdressed man, "I can take the heat, and I don't drink with strangers."
    "Such a shame," He said, squatting down to be closer to her eye level, "Because I know everything about you and your siblings."

Van Omega

It wasn't too long until they were to arrive in Dallas, the city itself rising from the horizon to greet them.

It wasn't the only thing that was greeting them.

"Whu?" The driver squinted before muttering, "Crazy-ass bastard standing in the road..."

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Van Omega

It wasn't too long until they were to arrive in Dallas, the city itself rising from the horizon to greet them.

It wasn't the only thing that was greeting them.

"Whu?" The driver squinted before muttering, "Crazy-ass bastard standing in the road..."
    "Run him over," Sandra said lazily, a whisp of smoke rising from her lit cigarette.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    "Run him over," Sandra said lazily, a whisp of smoke rising from her lit cigarette.
    "Hang, let me see if I can get by this nut-"

The world suddenly came to a stop as the van smashed into... something, although there had been only open road ahead of them just moments ago. The van's rear lurched up, yet whatever had stopped them was strong enough to keep it from moving any further. Airbags deployed upon impact, although it was clear that their driver, if not dead, had seen better days once the dust settled.

The van's horn wailing pitifully, they would see that the man the driver had seen was approaching.

"Told you we should've turned him into a spider. Spider's got eight arms and as many eyes, much better drivers than some dusty old ****." Vivian noted, rubbing the back of her head.

"Couldn't even run over that guy."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Upon impact, Sandra was violently jostled in her seat. She wasn't so much of a renegsde that she refused to wear a seatbelt. It turned out that probably saved her life. Her glass bottle of bourbon flew out of her hand and shattered against the window.

Her chest was killing her in the spot where the seatbelt was violently pressed against her. The back of her head was killing her after slamming into the headrest.

When she came to, she let out a string of curses, some in Spanish, others in German. "Should have run him over," she sighed as she pulled out her two Bowie knives.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

The air condition sputtered and died, followed shortly by the lights, leaving the truck stop's interior illuminated by the blazing sun outside.

"What the hell is goin-- WHAT THE HELL?!"

One of the truckers seated at a table tried to stand, only to find that his body firmly adhered to it. Similar shouts and shrieks could be heard as others found themselves in similar situations.

"Such a shame," He said, squatting down to be closer to her eye level, "Because I know everything about you and your siblings."

Jinny rolled her eyes as the sky seemed to grow dark, as if storm clouds suddenly appeared. [Genesis] slithered along the ground around Jinny's feet like a liquid snake. "Yeah, right. All I know about you is that you're a creep, and that's enough for me."

"Thanks, but I'm going in myself. Ugh, frickin' humidity, man," The van driver practically bolted for the building as they stepped out.

For the time being, the driver had gone inside, leaving the task of filling up the van once he'd return.
    "Aye, it is rather muggy, innit," Suzie concurred as she followed him inside, "Cheers, mate. Shouldn't be longer than twenty minutes."

The stop was pretty heavily stocked when it came to drinks, with your usual brands, the odd local brands, and ever a few things you wouldn't expect to see in this region. As for snacks, it varied from bagged treats, freshly made, and even a few frozen items you could use a microwave to heat up.

Regardless, the stickiness of the humidity could still be felt throughout the store, as everything they touched gripped them just a bit longer than usual.
    But oh, what a slog it was to go to market. Was it the sheer number of people in the building? It couldn't be, there were far more at the Joestar manor not two nights ago, though this was rather out of the way. Perchance did something die in the vents?

She picked up a box of dried fruit, and sweat left a mottled handprint on the box. "Oh..."

Suzie moved toward a sandwich shop brazier. Despite the smell of the panini press, the heat radiating off was anything but dry. Quite surprising, given the sheer size of the things.

"Two Croque Monsieurs, please."

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "Aw man, this is foul..." Miguel gritted his teeth. He had made note of before, however used to the heat he was, without a breeze to mediate it, it threw him off far more than he'd like. "I'm gonna get some water. Maybe some ice teas, if they haven't sold out in this heat..."

Upon entering the establishment, Miguel felt immediate regret on not staying in the truck. But, he had a mission to complete,. and he wouldn't coward out now. He would push past this heavy humidity if only to purchase enough cold beverages to hydrate them on their travels. He made a beeline to the where the drinks were stored, intent on using purchasing their entire stock if need be.
    As she waited for the order to bake, she cast her eyes around the rest of the Otto, the soothing twang of the bluegrass carrying through the shop.

...Miguel had the right idea. Bloody hell, she thought, that'll be the next stop.

But for the capelet wrapped around her shoulders, she counted her blessings that the effluvial stickiness only rolled down in droplets down her face for the moment.