Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    They stopped the Arakki from killing everyone but they were kinda the reason the Arrakki got there to begin with…

The ambassador is the head of coven akkaba and they sacrifice people for magic reasons. The last one was one of their own people. Somehow they got a whole bunch of political power in the government and I doubt he mentioned the penchant for human sacrifice when getting job, but I suppose anything is possible… And as far as international law goes, I believe annexing part of another country is probably considered ‘worse’ than killing a random citizen.
    The Arraki were already on the warpath before the Krakoans showed up though, and that’s because Genesis was being controlled by the Annhilation helm, that’s not Krakoa’s fault or even really Genesis’s since she was being controlled. The demons are the ones to blame. Also that’s two of you that think a small portion of land would cause more uproar than assassination of a citizen? I didn’t know there were degrees of what constitutes an act of war. It seems like it would either be an act of war or it wouldn’t. Clearly the ambassador has political power since he was able to break the deal with Krakoa, he was also an accomplice in the murder of a now solely Krakoa citizen since he exiled all mutants.

It kind of blows my mind that “land rights” out ranks murder for some of you.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It kind of blows my mind that “land rights” out ranks murder for some of you.
    Have you met many Texans?

I kid….It’s actually Montana where things really get scary.

I probably missed something but isn’t the annexation of the lighthouse more than just a piece of land? Isn’t it some kind of access portal? I can’t keep all these realms and factions and similarly named Krapo/Araki/Okara crap straight. Anyway, the significance of the land is important. Lots of people die for a small portion of land if the land has cultural meaning. Or oil rights. That too.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Have you met many Texans?

I kid….It’s actually Montana where things really get scary.

I probably missed something but isn’t the annexation of the lighthouse more than just a piece of land? Isn’t it some kind of access portal? I can’t keep all these realms and factions and similarly named Krapo/Araki/Okara crap straight. Anyway, the significance of the land is important. Lots of people die for a small portion of land if the land has cultural meaning. Or oil rights. That too.
    I don’t have an issue with it being considered an act of war, because it is. My issue is that it’s somehow “worse” than an assassination.

Astonishing Member

It’s not my opinion on what’s worse. It’s what country’s actually do about this stuff. The state department regularly puts out travel warning saying don’t go to such and such country, you might get killed, but they don’t send in troops for it. Taking territory, especially strategically territory and missiles get launched.

I admit I blocked out a lot of XoS, but didn’t the external gate that apocalypse made have something to do with the demon army’s getting in?
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 07-16-2021 at 03:11 PM.

I don’t have an issue with it being considered an act of war, because it is. My issue is that it’s somehow “worse” than an assassination.
    Because that's just how it is in global politics. Also what happened to Pete wouldn't be considered an assassination. He was an agent of the British government and not actually working for Krakoa. It would be murder and would cause problems, but nowhere near the level of annexation.

Citizens of different countries murdering each other happens all the time and causes headaches for every country involved, but it never comes close to the problems caused by annexing another country. Its a very small piece of land, but its incredibly important. And the actual size of the land doesn't matter much. Taking a part of another country by force and claiming it for your own is probably the most basic act of war there is. Wars used to be fought over strategic forts and river settlements.

XoS was incredibly vague about the demons. At the start they were being held back by Arrako for unexplained reasons, but then they were on the same side for more unexplained reasons. And the helmet apparently didn't have any power or significance, because she could take it off and on at any time without changing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Yeah the lighthouse has a Krakoan gate in it, that's why Rictor separated it.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yeah the lighthouse has a Krakoan gate in it.
    No, the Lighthouse has always been a gate to the Otherworld and used to monitor and access it. This was even before Krakoa took control of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    No, the Lighthouse has always been a gate to the Otherworld and used to monitor and access it. This was even before Krakoa took control of it.
    Yes but it also has a Krakoan gate in it. And it's not the same lighthouse because Morgan destroyed the last one so •-[A]-•, using coma Rogue and the druids, built this one.
    Last edited by JB; 07-16-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    It’s not my opinion on what’s worse. It’s what country’s actually do about this stuff. The state department regularly puts out travel warning saying don’t go to such and such country, you might get killed, but they don’t send in troops for it. Taking territory, especially strategically territory and missiles get launched.

I admit I blocked out a lot of XoS, but didn’t the external gate that apocalypse made have something to do with the demon army’s getting in?
    Because that's just how it is in global politics. Also what happened to Pete wouldn't be considered an assassination. He was an agent of the British government and not actually working for Krakoa. It would be murder and would cause problems, but nowhere near the level of annexation.

Citizens of different countries murdering each other happens all the time and causes headaches for every country involved, but it never comes close to the problems caused by annexing another country. Its a very small piece of land, but its incredibly important. And the actual size of the land doesn't matter much. Taking a part of another country by force and claiming it for your own is probably the most basic act of war there is. Wars used to be fought over strategic forts and river settlements.

XoS was incredibly vague about the demons. At the start they were being held back by Arrako for unexplained reasons, but then they were on the same side for more unexplained reasons. And the helmet apparently didn't have any power or significance, because she could take it off and on at any time without changing at all.
    You all know what started WWI right? Russia is currently annexing Belarus and the annexed Crimea in 2014 and nobody did anything other than run a few news stories.

XoS was pretty clear about how the demons came under Arrako control. Cliff notes, Annhilation (the god in the helm) was always controlling the demons. They were losing to Arrako for centuries, Annhilation called out Genesis for a 1v1 which she “won” which means she got the helm but then she was possessed by Annhilation, took over the army and blitzed Drayador. The external gate only gave Otherworld a more direct path to Earth, which Summoner tricked Apocalypse into opening.

Yes but it also has a Krakoan gate in it. And it's not the same lighthouse because Morgan destroyed the last one so •-[A]-•, using coma Rogue and the druids, built this one.
    That really feels like splitting hairs. Rebuilding a building does not make the land its on suddenly belong to another country. And the Krakoan gate can be removed and re-added easily. Plus the original was wrecked as part of an ongoing conflict between Apocalypse and Morgan, which Apocalypse started by sending Krakoan flowers into Morgan's domain.

I'm literally in the middle of a lecture on real estate law as part of maintaining my Bar license to practice law, so I'm in a nitty-gritty headspace on this point lol.

Ultimate Member

They ran out of napkins...

That really feels like splitting hairs. Rebuilding a building does not make the land its on suddenly belong to another country. And the Krakoan gate can be removed and re-added easily. Plus the original was wrecked as part of an ongoing conflict between Apocalypse and Morgan, which Apocalypse started by sending Krakoan flowers into Morgan's domain.

I'm literally in the middle of a lecture on real estate law as part of maintaining my Bar license to practice law, so I'm in a nitty-gritty headspace on this point lol.
    Morgan destroyed the Lighthouse before Krakoa existed. Issue #2 they go looking for it and find that it's no longer there. The druids appear and tell Betsy she's worthy because she can see them.
    "We believe you are a protector. We will let the Earth here bear the fruit of Krakoa, so that you may protect."

Up until Betsy went missing the government didn't seem to have a problem with it.

You know what started WWI right?
    Assassinating the HEIR TO THE THRONE OF A COUNTRY is wildly different than what happened here. Pete Wisdom is an intelligence officer, and they die all the time! Its risky work, and there's no indication that the actual government knew what Clan Akkaba did.

Morgan destroyed the Lighthouse before Krakoa existed. Issue #2 they go looking for it and find that it's no longer there. The druids appear and tell Betsy she's worthy because she can see them.
    "We believe you are a protector. We will let the Earth here bear the fruit of Krakoa, so that you may protect."

Up until Betsy went missing the government didn't seem to have a problem with it.
    You're right, I misremembered what happened. That's still nowhere near enough to give them the right to annex the land.

You know what started WWI right?
    That's a gross oversimplification of what actually a happened. The death Franz Ferdinand was just what got everything started. He didn't die and the next day there was war!

Yes, and what you do is remove the gate. How do we know this? Well there is also another gate at the Braddock Academy and I don't see Krakoa annexing that. TLDR: You don't annex land of a nation, because that's grounds for war.

On a side note, how does Arakko even get access to Otherworld, it's not like you can just randomly happen on it? I think it's safe to say that this is the fault of Apocalypse and not Krakoa as they were against the whole thing from the beginning.