Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Thank God Beast wasn't being....well, Beast.

I want to preface my complaints with saying that this is definitely one of the better issues of Excalibur. The only STRIKE I was aware of was the mobile game that's out now, so if they were supposed to be a big deal it was lost on me. Krakoa really doesn't need MORE telepaths who do nothing.
    You've got some interesting takes on this issue I'd like to have a discussion.

The problem for me has always been the laughable attempts at politics and relationships between nations. Pete Wisdom is still a British citizen, and there's no way what Akkaba did was sanctioned or known by the government.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the diplomat at the gala an ambassador or high ranking government official? He certainly knew about Pete being murdered.

Bringing back a British psy-ops team would be a national security nightmare for the UK, so that's just weirdly not thought through. And there are already a ton of telepaths, Betsy included, so I'm not sure what it accomplishes.
    I think that's the point of bringing them back, to help fight the new powers that be in the British government.

Not to mention Rictor's actual act of war last issue gets no mention anywhere.
    Well the Brits did murder a citizen of Krakoa first so I'd consider that an act of war more so than moving a small piece of land.

The people of Otherworld are portrayed as jerks for having totally justifiable anger at everything mutants have been doing in the Otherworld. And Betsy continues fighting as Captain Britain against all the people she's supposed to be protecting. This series is just so weird.
    What have the mutants been doing in Otherworld that you think justifies the natives anger? I mean they stopped the Arraki from killing everyone, I suppose you could be upset they are exploring but I don't think they are breaking any laws. Maybe in Merlyn's land they broke some rules but they were looking for a lost kid.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Glad to see this book getting met w some positivity!

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Jubilee is so inconsequential to this issue that this was the first post mentioning her in the thread. I don't know if I'm forgetting something from earlier issues, but I have no idea what role she serves on the team other than Shogo turns into a dragon.

Otherwise, fun issue. I really liked the Wisdom and STRIKE storyline.
    As much hate as this book gets for not featuring Gambit and Jubilee, at least they consistently get dialogue every issue. Like, in Marauders I’m not sure Iceman has spoken in the majority of the post XoS issues. They’re clearly supporting players but at least they’re around.

I really enjoyed this issue. Colour me surprised!

The artwork was gorgeous, I loved seeing Saturnyne being bitchy to Betsy again, and I'm intrigued by these S.T.R.I.K.E. folks.

The page where Wisdom explains to them that they were actually mutants, and mutants can come back from the dead now, and that's why they aren't dead anymore, oh and by the way, Britain hates mutants so you are exiled from your ancestral home now too, while they are all sitting there confused and naked and covered in egg yolk - that was bonkers! Comic books! Pure Excalibur insanity! I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    You've got some interesting takes on this issue I'd like to have a discussion.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the diplomat at the gala an ambassador or high ranking government official? He certainly knew about Pete being murdered.

I think that's the point of bringing them back, to help fight the new powers that be in the British government.

Well the Brits did murder a citizen of Krakoa first so I'd consider that an act of war more so than moving a small piece of land.

What have the mutants been doing in Otherworld that you think justifies the natives anger? I mean they stopped the Arraki from killing everyone, I suppose you could be upset they are exploring but I don't think they are breaking any laws. Maybe in Merlyn's land they broke some rules but they were looking for a lost kid.
    The diplomat at the Gala was an ambassador, but its not clear so far how much of what Akkaba is doing on their own and how much is sanctioned by the actual UK government. Lord knows in Marvel we've seen plenty of loony politicians acting on their own. So I definitely concede that the stuff they've done (killing Pete, and Morgan killing those mutants to go through the portal) could be sanctioned by the UK, but I doubt it at the moment.

I genuinely don't know enough about STRIKE to comment, so if they end up being a big deal that solves that complaint.

A citizen of a nation getting murdered is a big deal for international politics, though I think Pete has dual citizenship? But even so its not an act of war, and it happens all the time. Now ripping a chunk of land away and trying to annex it? That is the most blatant and open act of war a nation can commit.

As for why they don't like mutants, there's plenty of reasons. Morgan is bad news, but she's a native and had a rightful claim to the throne of her kingdom. The mutants invaded, overthrew her and put a madman in charge as a puppet ruler. Most of the natives probably don't see much of a difference between Krakoa and Arrako, and Arrako have been pretty nasty and possibly allied with demons. That was honestly confusing in XoS; first they were fighting them then they were working with them? Anyway, the entire XoS debacle caused a lot of chaos in the Otherworld, and now mutant forces are teleporting around to the realms like they own the place.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I would imagine that, snobbery at 3 out of the 8 kingdoms being run by mutants aside; the fact that the Arakii who slaughtered an entire kingdom are permitted to claim ownership of its corpse and people who object are being treated as unreasonable (this is the only point where Merton comes within a light year of a point mind you)

For gods sake Krakoans have been cracking jokes about the genocide of Dryador

I didn`t like it as issue for the same problems as always.
    Also adding one more sub plot with STRIKE group of mutants while alt Cap Britains are still in prison and Betsy promised to save them 10 issues ago is stupid.

I really loved how Gambit catched and blown up that bullet. But it was stupid that he reflected a gunshot and told or did nothing to that chick who fired.

I really loved that Tarot cards that Remy stole in Excalibur 11 is finally used 11 boring issues later.
    He charges magic card with his energy and it can create magic from a card. Different cards for different tricks. Sad it didn`t happened in X of Swords half of year ago. I think that magic card stuff has a lot of potential and may create some new cool stories with a good writer and give Remy cool and fun power upgrade and open doors for new and creative stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    As much hate as this book gets for not featuring Gambit and Jubilee, at least they consistently get dialogue every issue. Like, in Marauders I’m not sure Iceman has spoken in the majority of the post XoS issues. They’re clearly supporting players but at least they’re around.
    Agreed. Bishop barely speaks in Marauders too.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I would imagine that, snobbery at 3 out of the 8 kingdoms being run by mutants aside; the fact that the Arakii who slaughtered an entire kingdom are permitted to claim ownership of its corpse and people who object are being treated as unreasonable (this is the only point where Merton comes within a light year of a point mind you)

For gods sake Krakoans have been cracking jokes about the genocide of Dryador
    Welcome to Otherworld.

Merlyn has no room to complain about anything when he's over here keeping KING ARTHUR locked away and no one knows. So he's pointing the finger at mutants meanwhile the rightful king of Camelot is his prisoner. Mega shady.

Last edited by JB; 07-15-2021 at 03:51 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed. Bishop barely speaks in Marauders too.

Welcome to Otherworld.

Merlyn has no room to complain about anything when he's over here keeping KING ARTHUR locked away and no one knows. So he's pointing the finger at mutants meanwhile the rightful king of Camelot is his prisoner. Mega shady.

Man that Gala outfit was hideous.

I really liked the issue, I feel that Gambit finally shines and does quite a few interesting things here.

Otherwise more psychic ??? lol the most overexploited and unoriginal powers in the mutant franchise lol

I think this is the first issue of Excalibur I have actually enjoyed!?!?!?

Astonishing Member

Jeez I dropped this book right after Hellfire Gala and the issue I didnt buy, now its getting good reviews and reception?!!!

BANNED

This was actually….cute. Giving very much fantasy. It would make a visually stunning and fun television series.

Quote Originally Posted by PANDEMONIUM View Post
    This was actually….cute. Giving very much fantasy. It would make a visually stunning and fun television series.
    Agreed. I would love to see all the whimsy of the characters and kingdoms on the small screen.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

this is kind of a silly complaint, but why go through the loops to make their stuff 'magic' like with what Gambit did when it really didn't do anything he couldn't already do? Specifically, he could have blown open the door the same way. Similarly, making Rictor into a druid when he could already do everything he's done in this series.

The train was neat at least.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    this is kind of a silly complaint, but why go through the loops to make their stuff 'magic' like with what Gambit did when it really didn't do anything he couldn't already do? Specifically, he could have blown open the door the same way. Similarly, making Rictor into a druid when he could already do everything he's done in this series.

The train was neat at least.
    Rictor says it was a magic lock with a failsafe to seal the entrance if something went wrong. Rictor just assumed it but he was probably correct.