Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Assassinating the HEIR TO THE THRONE OF A COUNTRY is wildly different than what happened here. Pete Wisdom is an intelligence officer, and they die all the time! Its risky work, and there's no indication that the actual government knew what Clan Akkaba did.
    Just like removing a land bridge to a small plot of land isn’t the same as invading a country. Also the lighthouse belongs to Captain Britain if I’m not mistaken not the British government. Again I’m just arguing that saying a squabble over land rights is somehow worse than a state sanctioned murder/assassination is not going to fly. Pete wasn’t even working against the UK he was basically killed via hate crime.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    That's a gross oversimplification of what actually a happened. The death Franz Ferdinand was just what got everything started. He didn't die and the next day there was war!
    It is a gross oversimplification but it proves the point that assassination is an act of war. Of course there’s more to it, but that was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. If I was arguing for the other side (which I’m not disagreeing with) I’d point out WWII started when Germany invaded Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    You're right, I misremembered what happened. That's still nowhere near enough to give them the right to annex the land.
    Good thing I never said that. I'm all for the "contested land" aspect of it all.

Yes, and what you do is remove the gate. How do we know this? Well there is also another gate at the Braddock Academy and I don't see Krakoa annexing that. TLDR: You don't annex land of a nation, because that's grounds for war.

On a side note, how does Arakko even get access to Otherworld, it's not like you can just randomly happen on it? I think it's safe to say that this is the fault of Apocalypse and not Krakoa as they were against the whole thing from the beginning.
    The Lighthouse belongs to them. The land, not so much unless you ask the druids.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

When she says they burned her family's castle, perhaps the Braddocks owned the land too. Which obviously doesn't mean they can just remove it from the country but that's why it's contested, because Coven said they were taking the Lighthouse. So first they destroyed her family's property then tried taking the new updated hi-rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It is a gross oversimplification but it proves the point that assassination is an act of war. Of course there’s more to it, but that was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. If I was arguing for the other side (which I’m not disagreeing with) I’d point out WWII started when Germany invaded Poland.
    The assassination wasn't the straw, it was the Serbian refusal to investigate Serbian officials implicated in the death of Franz Ferdinand that led to Austria-Hungary declaring war. But this isn't a hill I'm prepared to die on so I'll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    The Lighthouse belongs to them. The land, not so much unless you ask the druids.

Yeah no offence, but a group of druids do not set policy on who's allowed to take up residence in a country, or what is allowed to be installed there. Krakoa had an alliance at the time with Krakoa, so It was OK.

Astonishing Member

You all know what started WWI right? Russia is currently annexing Belarus and the annexed Crimea in 2014 and nobody did anything other than run a few news stories.
    Because Belarus and Crimea didn’t have the military power to fight. :/ and the western powers didn’t want to go to war with Russia over it. So how much UK reacts to the annex would be if they consider their portal to otherworld in their ‘vital interests.’(diplomatic expression for something they’d go to war over.) also of note, it didn’t look like rictor actually moved the lighthouse out that far, is it still in British waters?

The assassination wasn't the straw, it was the Serbian refusal to investigate Serbian officials implicated in the death of Franz Ferdinand that led to Austria-Hungary declaring war. But this isn't a hill I'm prepared to die on so I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah no offence, but a group of druids do not set policy on who's allowed to take up residence in a country, or what is allowed to be installed there. Krakoa had an alliance at the time with Krakoa, so It was OK.
    Yah, that's why I said "the land, not so much."
    Now I'm curious to see what happens when the government finds out they put a cult in charge of protecting Britain that has been destroying property and killing citizens.

2 things, 1) you’re right it wasn’t the straw, I should’ve used the cliche it was the spark that ignited the fire, either way his assassination is widely accepted as the cause of WW1 a simple google search will confirm that. 2) you’re missing the point I’m trying to prove, an act of war is an act of war, I’ve yet to see a scale of what is the most act of war vs what is the least act of war lol.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Because Belarus and Crimea didn’t have the military power to fight. :/ and the western powers didn’t want to go to war with Russia over it. So how much UK reacts to the annex would be if they consider their portal to otherworld in their ‘vital interests.’(diplomatic expression for something they’d go to war over.) also of note, it didn’t look like rictor actually moved the lighthouse out that far, is it still in British waters?
    Again the point I’m making is being missed. I’m not defending Krakoa annexing the light house as not a crime, originally I was simply arguing that both countries committed acts of war and it turned into a discussion of which one was actually an act of war and then it turned into which act was a “worse” act of war lol. I’m out, no more points to prove it’s all there on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yah, that's why I said "the land, not so much."
    Now I'm curious to see what happens when the government finds out they put a cult in charge of protecting Britain that has been destroying property and killing citizens.
    This is what I’m about as well.

The whole Lighthouse is a massive don't overthink it scenario anyway...

Brian/Meggan buy and move in the lighthouse between issues 12 and 13 of Captain Britain Vol. 2 using Incan Gold from a Technet storyline (while Betsy is Capatain Britain for the first time).

Brian/Meggan presumably legally own the land. It's destoyed in issue #50 and was rebuilt by the time of the X-Men Gold Annual reunion story that intodroduced Maggie, only to have been destroyed again when this volume comes back to it.

Really the major crime is the lack of planning permission the team ever seem to get for the building the new one (which I doubt would make a great storyline...but might be an amusing throwaway line).

I'm more concerned about how the Lighthouse has teleported miles down the coast to Cornwall. The original location was implied to be somewhere in the North-West of England.

Anyway, I like Excalibur using the Lighthouse, it's a nostalgic throwback to the most popular era of the team with a Krakoan twist.

That poor Lighthouse can't catch a break. Thanks for the info. I love the cover of CB #13.

Oh my god! People are debating historical events on a comic book thread!!!

Rictor didn't move the lighthouse far, so it would still be in British waters.

Its an incredibly stupid plot point that will likely just be ignored and not be treated like the massive deal it would be IRL. You'd think we'd at least get an Orchis recruitment data page where they talk to government officials about the danger of mutants tearing their countries apart to claim as their own or something.

Yeah I didt really get the point of that either. When its low tide its still close enough.

How far did the issue say it was off the coast?

2 things, 1) you’re right it wasn’t the straw, I should’ve used the cliche it was the spark that ignited the fire, either way his assassination is widely accepted as the cause of WW1 a simple google search will confirm that. 2) you’re missing the point I’m trying to prove, an act of war is an act of war, I’ve yet to see a scale of what is the most act of war vs what is the least act of war lol.
    1) Yeah I'm arguing semantics, but that's only because it doesn't really match the situation that Pete Wisdom is facing.
    2) If the scale of the offence is not the problem, then what is Krakoa's official response? It seems like Pete Wisdom is now making the unilateral decision to take Krakoa into a war against the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Oh my god! People are debating historical events on a comic book thread!!!
    We're just arguing semantics, it's not that deep!

Quote Originally Posted by KylunFan View Post
    The whole Lighthouse is a massive don't overthink it scenario anyway...
    I think you can make that statement about this entire run!

1) Yeah I'm arguing semantics, but that's only because it doesn't really match the situation that Pete Wisdom is facing.
    2) If the scale of the offence is not the problem, then what is Krakoa's official response? It seems like Pete Wisdom is now making the unilateral decision to take Krakoa into a war against the UK?
    I don't think anybody is declaring war on either side personally. I think Pete is going to be sneaky about getting Clan Akkaba out of parliament though. Nothing matches what Pete is facing because resurrection isn't a real thing either.