Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Damn, that's alot of stuff to check out. I'll hafta just plop down on one of the couches at my LCS and browse for a bit.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

BANNED

Elfquest is my favorite, particular the original 20 issues, but extending through the first three series. The first 20 issues is getting reprinted at Dark Horse as a one volume edition, or it can be read for free at elfquest.com. I prefer it in black and white though, which the reprint volume will be.

Others I like are Elflord, Groo, the Dark Horse Conan, Savage Sword Of Conan (I really like all the Conan incarnations, but SSOC and the Dark Horse series in particular), Bone (which is an amazing comic and should not be missed by any comic fan), and Cerebus. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but that's a good start.

If Usagi Yojimbo falls into this genre then that too. It's based on Eastern tradition, mixing legend and history with original content featuring anthropomorphic characters, but there's an occasional dragon or witch.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofcrabs View Post
    Damn, that's alot of stuff to check out. I'll hafta just plop down on one of the couches at my LCS and browse for a bit.
    Fantasy is a very rich genre in comics, but still small enough that it isn't overexposed. More than anything else, great artists seem to gravitate it.

I forgot to mention that I like Elfquest as well.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Which Side Are You On? Invisible Man's Avatar

Lots of great suggestions in this thread. I always enjoyed the Elric and Drizzt adaptations. I'd like to mention an obscure one for the old D&D fans and that was Larry Elmore's Snarfquest. It was part serious part comedic but was essentially based in a D&D type world. It was originally printed in serial installments in Dragon magazine but was eventually released in a collection.

Fans of the Elric stories should check out Michael Moorcock's Multiverse which intertwined his Elric stories with several others in an omni-dimensional time spanning adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Right now I am reading Red Sonja and Rat Queens. Rat Queens is more comedic but set in a fantasy realm. Both are entertaining. I am not much for dark fantasy.

Sandman is sort of fantasy but really doesn't fit any genre, except that of GREATEST COMIC EVER!!! (yes, I am a huge Gaiman fan.)
    I agree about this
    Also, Umbral had great reviews here and the preview looks quite intriguing. Conan the Barbarian is also pretty good.
    Komic Brew - Your freshly brewed comics
    http://www.komicbrew.com
    https://www.facebook.com/komicbrew

One I haven't seen mentioned yet: ORC STAIN, by James Stokoe! It's a world where orc clans constantly struggle for more dominance, fall prey to internal betrayals etc. But then against all expectations an empire starts to rise in the south. One of my favourite aspects is how there's no real magic (so far), but instead there are 'poisonthrowers' who use all kinds of elaborate toxins to basically perform spells. It's Stokoe, so expect super detailed art. First trade's been out for a year or two now. Do note though that the release schedule on this is veeeeeery slow, like, it's been 2 years since the first arc kinda wrapped and I think we've MAYBE had 2 issues since then? Deffo no more than 3. Also HIGHLY NSFW. I mean, they're orcs. Gross, violent creatures with an economy that literally runs on a currency made out of, ehem, chopped off gronches.

Other than that I gotta give a nod to Rat Queens, which is also funny and again NSFW, but reads more like a fun D&D campaign. Not sure if Saga counts as purely fantasy, but it's a beauty.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Might as well remind everyone that Titan is going to publish some new Elric adaptations in hardcover format, starting with the Ruby throne

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

I've lately gotten interested in a fetish classic, Jiim Balent's Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose. Wish that were available in SE Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Might as well remind everyone that Titan is going to publish some new Elric adaptations in hardcover format, starting with the Ruby throne
    Just saw this while trying to browse through upcoming books. I think I'll grab one of these as I prefer HCs and only get TPBs if its the only option. I don't need to know anything going in do I?
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofcrabs View Post
    Just saw this while trying to browse through upcoming books. I think I'll grab one of these as I prefer HCs and only get TPBs if its the only option. I don't need to know anything going in do I?
    This will adapt the very first Elric story as emperor of Melnibone, so yeah youll be ok jumping right in.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    This will adapt the very first Elric story as emperor of Melnibone, so yeah youll be ok jumping right in.
    Cool beans.

Also; yay! I created a stickied topic! When the hell did that happen?
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

I wrote a comic that is currently being released through comiXology called Raven Nevermore. It was directly inspired by D&D (well, d20 and especially the M&M Superlink game systems). It was actually born from an RPG project I started around 2005 which never found its legs due to the shifting gaming market.

You can read more about it on my small press site: http://xeibooks.com/raven-nevermore/
    comiXology listing: https://www.comixology.com/Raven-Nev...al-comic/52496

I'd love to hear what people think of it! I'm always so intimidated to post my first post on forums, but figured with a thread title asking about fantasy comics--with a specific reference to D&D... well I just couldn't resist. Lurker days are over!

I would recommend Shadow Falls that is currently being published by Deadline Universe/Ardden Entertainment and it was written & drawn by the Swedish comics creator Mikael Bergkvist. Here's the Shadow Falls Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ashadowfalls?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by NunoXEI View Post
    I wrote a comic that is currently being released through comiXology called Raven Nevermore. It was directly inspired by D&D (well, d20 and especially the M&M Superlink game systems). It was actually born from an RPG project I started around 2005 which never found its legs due to the shifting gaming market.

You can read more about it on my small press site: http://xeibooks.com/raven-nevermore/
    comiXology listing: https://www.comixology.com/Raven-Nev...al-comic/52496

I'd love to hear what people think of it! I'm always so intimidated to post my first post on forums, but figured with a thread title asking about fantasy comics--with a specific reference to D&D... well I just couldn't resist. Lurker days are over!
    Your stuff looks interesting. Planning on doing any physical releases (preferably some kind of HC) or are you going to be strictly digital?
    Peace, Love, and Tacos