Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Is anyone excited for Tooth & Claw by the way? Written by Busiek off Astro City. At first glance I wasn't too interested, but I quite liked the preview. Plus Image are up to their usual tricks to rope me in; double-sized first issue, no advertisements, all for $2.99... Dangit Image!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

All-New Member

Just wanted to share my own fantasy graphic novel series, Murder & Midnight. You can read free online. Also running a kickstarter for a gorgeous hardbound copy of book one. Check out the mockup:

BookMockup copy 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofcrabs View Post
    Your stuff looks interesting. Planning on doing any physical releases (preferably some kind of HC) or are you going to be strictly digital?
    Digital first, then print collection. Haven't decided on print vs hardcover yet! Thanks for checking it out. Hopefully I'll do rounds to some of the 2015 conventions and we'll see how it does!

Maybe I'll even look into Kickstarting the print?! I'm a one-step-at-a-time sorta dude . If I start thinking too much about the big picture it intimidates the hell out of me and causes me to freeze haha (and think too much about the financial commitment of it all!). More than anything, it was one of those life goals that just had to get done, so it'll get seen through one way or another!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Is anyone excited for Tooth & Claw by the way? Written by Busiek off Astro City.
    I've got a soft spot for both Astro City and Busiek. I find the image of a boar-man casting magic sort of uninspiring at a teaser to be honest, but I have a high regard for Busiek's writing so the first trade will be bought for sure!

Anyone reading In the House of the Worm?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Are there any good on going Fantasy Comics that are not adaptations of novels? I know about Red Sonja, Rat Queens, Pathfinder and D&D comics but are there any others?

Is anyone excited for Tooth & Claw by the way? Written by Busiek off Astro City. At first glance I wasn't too interested, but I quite liked the preview. Plus Image are up to their usual tricks to rope me in; double-sized first issue, no advertisements, all for $2.99... Dangit Image!
    I will probably give this a look.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am going to give a little love to the late great CrossGen comics here and recomend Scion and Sojourn. You could also probably count Meridian,Mystic, and Brath in that group also.

I haven't checked it out myself, yet, but Stjepan Sejic has an original high fantasy comic called Ravine. His art is amazing and if you're not familiar you should check it out. He goes by Nebezial at DeviantArt. You can see some characters and dragons right on his front page. He has a new comic called Death Vigil which I am quite enjoying, but it is more contemporary urban fantasy. Lots of laughs and awesome monsters.

I just read Elric: The Ruby Throne last night. Amazing piece of work. Best thing I read this year, in any genre. It starts right where the books start, so you won't be missing a thing. I read Elric: The Balance Lost when it came out... I was pretty indifferent to it.

The Kurt Busiek/Cary Nord Conan run (first several arcs of the new Dark Horse series) are fantastic.

I had forgotten how much I loved the Chaykin/Mignola Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser adaptation and was glad it got a new print a number of years ago.

Looking forward to picking up trades of Rat Queens (is the second trade out? Due soon?) and hope it lives up to the considerable hype.

Savage Sword of Conan (1970s) and Conan the Barbarian.

Cerebus (first two volumes).

Groo the Wanderer (Pacific Comics is more PG; the Marvel Epic and later stuff is closer to G).

It's hard to find good fantasy comics. Too many creators make them like they're superhero comics or something...

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
    Savage Sword of Conan (1970s) and Conan the Barbarian.

Cerebus (first two volumes).

Groo the Wanderer (Pacific Comics is more PG; the Marvel Epic and later stuff is closer to G).

It's hard to find good fantasy comics. Too many creators make them like they're superhero comics or something...
    Couldn't disagree more... with the caveat that you're going to have better luck finding excellent fantasy comics if you look outside of N American publishers. Hiero5's example of Elric: The Ruby Throne is a perfect example-- Titan has done a great job with the translation of the original French volume, and I don't think that you're going to find anyhing more beautiful or brutal this year in comics. There's also a lot of great Humanoids fantasy comics that have been translated over the past few years. I'd recommend Igor Baranko's Shamanism above all, which is a mix of Native American lore, time travel, alternate history, and just flat out craziness. One of my favorite new books.

And let's not forget Slaine: The Horned God, which is the pinnacle of the genre in comics, in my opinion.

BB

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Absolutely beautiful.

I'd recommend Alex Alice's Siegfried series, too. It began as a Disney Europe adaptation of the Siegfried parts of the Ring Cycle, but Alice ended up publishing it as a GN series when Disney Europe had financing problem. Archaia has two translations already, Siegfried and The Valkyrie, and the third will be released next summer.

siegfried-vol-1-cover.jpg

siegfried vol 2.jpg

I wouldn't snooze on Roy Thomas and Gil Kane's adaptation, either.

Drops this wed., i'm very interested to see how it looks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    And let's not forget Slaine: The Horned God, which is the pinnacle of the genre in comics, in my opinion.
    Still only a couple volumes into Slaine, I was reading whatever I could get in my library but haven't been there for a while since it's not my local one anymore. Might just end up looking if there's an omnibus or anything.

I really dug Belardinelli's art from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Damn. Never seen this before but looks gorgeous.